What's new

Enclosed trailer build mods

I’ve always used a air mattress in the past. It was ok in the test run but I kinda wanted something a little more comfortable with this setup. I’ve been sleeping on my flat deck trailer for years, now that I have walls and a roof why keep the sleeping the same way?

Found a 6” memory foam mattress online.

Tossed a pillow topper on it..

And finished it off with some old shitty bottom cover sheet that I found in my linen closet.

EF277668-F316-46F6-870F-95F0A73C218D.jpeg

B480058B-2557-47D3-92C1-8C9719D4CA56.jpeg

7AA219DB-2689-4984-9A08-6E1F71E8BBD6.jpeg

CB07D5FE-CD5A-4F06-9794-06EA1CB6DD69.jpeg

I like where you are heading. I've always had an enclosed with amenities at the top of my list for a crawler hauler.

What's your long term goal? Any plans for more amenities, sink bathroom, ect? Not sure how much room you have.

I like where you are heading. I've always had an enclosed with amenities at the top of my list for a crawler hauler.

What's your long term goal? Any plans for more amenities, sink bathroom, ect? Not sure how much room you have.
Probably not.... weight is such a issue with these things...

As for bathroom, I have a $100 porta for this trip. I hate it when my ladies get urinary track infections😏

As for bathroom, I have a $100 porta for this trip. I hate it when my ladies get urinary track infections😏

Opie’s Banquet buggy is like 3200 lbs, plus tools and parts of course. I can’t believe yours is much lighter or heavier. Is your trailer a 7k? What’s your tow rig?

Ya, I think for a full bathroom type setup, you need a gooseneck. The hard part is finding one that isn't 99' feet long.

Ya, I think for a full bathroom type setup, you need a gooseneck. The hard part is finding one that isn't 99' feet long.
Gotta find the crazy horse lady looking to upgrade and be ready for major fab work.

That was what was on my radar before this just showed up.

Gotta find the crazy horse lady looking to upgrade and be ready for major fab work.

That was what was on my radar before this just showed up.

I avoid horse lady's at all costs.

Aren't those trailers really narrow compared to even a car trailer? Plus super expensive?

So loaded up the crawler and went down to the local scales...

So this bares the question, how much is too much on a trailer like this with 5k axles? Each axle is rated for 5k, truck is also supporting some of the trailer weight...

9E8CCE5B-6DAF-4B1D-B821-148EA38C402F.jpeg

Trailer axles only care about what's on them. So 10k is the limit. I have seen some guys get away with running a trailer at max capacity, but usually not for long.

I'd say you are totally fine at that weight all the time and even some more. I'd say you'll be fine to load whatever parts and tools and rock out.

So this bares the question, how much is too much on a trailer like this with 5k axles? Each axle is rated for 5k, truck is also supporting some of the trailer weight...

So 6650# on 10k of axles? I wouldn't worry about another 2000-3000# on them.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
Name brand bearings available in those sizes? Bearing buddies on all 4 hubs? Pumping a shot of grease in at each fuel stop wouldn't be a big deal.

And LT tires are the solution to all trailer tire problems.

:flipoff2:

Name brand bearings available in those sizes? Bearing buddies on all 4 hubs? Pumping a shot of grease in at each fuel stop wouldn't be a big deal.

And LT tires are the solution to all trailer tire problems.

:flipoff2:
Definitely something I need to look into. I did regrease all of them and tightened the bearings a touch. I don’t think that’s been done since this trailer rolled off the lot.

not true. there are a ton of shorter goosenecks in 30-40 range

99' was actually a joke :flipoff2:

40' is way too big. My neighbor has a triple axle version and it's stupid big. He tows it with a ~05 F250 and even though all he puts in it is a few go carts, his truck has got serious Carolina squat.

I'd want a 20-25' gooseneck, assuming that measuring the flat floor space the way an open gooseneck is. Over the pin is the bed, then just a minimal area for basic amenities. The kids sleeping and a dining area can be in the garage for all I care.

Anyway, hi jack over. ​​​​​

Sweet trailer. This is the exact setup I've been wanting to get. An enclosed converted to living quarters is more appealing than a toy hauler imo

The rule of thumb is 10-15% of gross weight on the tongue for no sway porpoises.
so that leaves you 10k technically to weigh the trailer on it's own axles. Personally I wouldn't want to be that close to the rating of the axles/tires so I would want 1k less than spec on each axle.
RV's are commonly sold with less axle rating than trailer GVW relying on the tongue weight to support the extra 10%, that is shitty in my book and asking for bent axles, tire failures etc.

I just started building out mine this week. It's only going to haul an ATV though.

PXL_20210313_011648581.jpg

PXL_20210313_011657602.jpg

​​​​​​​
PXL_20210313_011639031.jpg

So over the winter I really didn’t take any time to work on the enclosed. I was busy getting the rear steer in the crawler hammered out.

With my Sand Hollow trip around the corner I decided to do a bit more on it. So I am going to be re-coating the roof my fifth wheel and decided to do a test run on the enclosed roof. Now it doesn’t leak but it does get hot as fuck…

So I got me some of this stuff

163CE720-7215-4B45-A9DA-468AF0E438CC.jpeg

Should have done tin foil! Reflect sun and 5g mind control signals :flipoff2:

Trail hero is coming quick. I'm really hoping to make it this year, again.....

And rolled out a coat of this stuff… used a brush around the edges and roller in the middle. Made it work with one gallon.

Not sure how much cooler it actually will make the trailer, but anything is better than nothing at this point…

B8A7399D-F585-42DB-9240-30EC4E939B65.jpeg

Did you do do anything special to the aluminum roof skin prior to applying this top coat? Or just wipe it down and roll on?

Asking because I plan to do the same to my enclosed trailer in the not too distant future.

Oh and to add to the 5k axles. Tires and wheels are the weak point. I borrowed a 10k buggy hauler and cracked 2 wheels with ~7k lbs on it. We put some 10 ply 235/80/16s on it with 6 lug 16s.

Not sure if that would fit. But at least check the rating on the tires. The ones on the buggy hauler were rated for the 2560 lbs ea, so not even 5200 lbs for a pair. I think weak tires can also put more heat into the bearings. Since they "bag" easy, they're making more heat. Just my theory though.

Did you do do anything special to the aluminum roof skin prior to applying this top coat? Or just wipe it down and roll on?

Asking because I plan to do the same to my enclosed trailer in the not too distant future.
Nothing special, just climbed up and hit it with the 4k psi pressure washer…

fwiw if you ever need to replace hubs/brakes on your 5200lb axles and want to upgrade to 8 lug wheels the 8 lug 7k hubs will bolt up to the 5200lb axle spindle

and a kit like this in the tool box is good peace of mind(obviously you need the kit for whatever hub youre using)

whenever im towing and stop for fuel i put my hand on all the hubs to feel for excessive heat

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh