What's new

Enclosed trailer build mods

Mr Stubs

Taste my rainbow, bitches
Member Number
Loc
Land of liquid sunshine
So a bit ago I picked up a enclosed trailer kinda by accident. It wasn’t exactly what I wanted so I low balled the guy.... problem was he accepted my offer.

So I have plans to add insulation and electrical but that’s down the road now I guess due to time constraints.

Im taking it down to Sand Hollow for the yearly Trail Hero event. I’m tired of sleeping in a tent screwed down to my flat deck trailer.

So that means I need to get some bedding done at least before the trip.

So I started out with some E Trac and those nifty 2x4 stake pockets. First things first, they are designed by a metal worker, not a carpenter... they fucking measure true 2x4, so loose as fuck with dimensional lumber😐

Decided to use some 2x4x8 studs and just run the width of the trailer, Murphy Bed seemed like a bit more work than I wanted to deal with.

So I set up my height and away we went.

906CB3EC-7033-4D5C-B6FC-FCF7157A98F9.jpeg

Well now that I have the bed deck made, now what? Can’t leave it there, where is Skittles going to go?

So I built a storage area for it, that way I never have to find some place for it outside the trailer.

6E6D09BC-00EB-4DBA-A219-5DF5EFFA79D1.jpeg

Then I thought to myself... remember the 17 hour straight through drive on the way down. Remember the drive home and sleeping for 20 minutes at a rest stop in Idaho around 2 in the afternoon because you were nodding off?

So fuck that, I need a way to sleep in the trailer within Skittles loaded up. Head room is going to bring the suck, bit falling asleep at the wheel will even more...,

B9FA237E-7385-42CD-974D-CE325BB154B5.jpeg

E0D96AB9-3DDE-48EC-8503-60B4CD1ECA20.jpeg

7EBBA746-0E0A-499A-AF29-F117CFD89524.jpeg

F09E5AE7-82BF-499B-8E76-D6E8FD7CF580.jpeg

So remember how I told you the E Trac 2x4 pockets are loose?

Built two shelves but found that they hung way uneven. So I used the drill and made the lower hole radiused. Now I can grab onto the shelf and move it and get it more level before tightening the bolts.

27BEC652-207A-431B-B661-98EC186E93BF.jpeg

8BB3A900-D3B3-49A2-98C4-7BDC566ED351.jpeg

40479353-CCC9-41A8-9D1D-A75D06554E23.jpeg

4D75455E-EFA9-41B7-859D-6E8E2FB0AE0B.jpeg

I decided that I needed another Yeti style cooler for this trip. It gets fucking hot in Sand Hollow and my Valley Sportsman works well but it’s just not big enough for a week long stay.

I happen to be walking through a Best Buy for some other thing and spot this.... a 4.5 cuft mini fridge/freezer in the scratch and dent pile.... So for $130 I brought her home.

cheaper than a cooler and I won’t be buying anymore fucking ice..

1C11039B-F8D7-4570-B275-48DFA3330A09.jpeg

Spent a bunch of time building some backdrop spacers. There wasn’t any good way to mount it to the floor so my plan is for two eye bolts on either side of the fridge and a small ratchet style strap holding it against the spacers. Figure it will help keep the door closed while motorvating down the road.

FCDB5B5D-88CE-4DF4-B0B0-3493DF832192.jpeg

392D2073-57ED-4E9A-BC2C-4C25A98D3663.jpeg

3294DC11-95A2-48BF-946E-726C2BDBAC7E.jpeg

Looking good, you really need to insulate that ceiling though.

My enclosed trailer roof looked like a swayback mare, it drove me crazy. I ran 1x1's lengthwise and rolled 1x1's under the factory framing then jacked it up till straight and welded the ends. I slipped rips of foam in all the voids and skinned it with lauan. You could use 1x battens but, 2 1/2" of foam up there made a HUGE difference.

Since you're going to be sleeping in it cut a strip of plywood to bridge the gap between the ramp and floor with another piece that sits on the hinges. It makes it so much easier to sweep out all the shit your rig tracks in and you can roll toolboxes or whatever in and out without hanging up. You can kinda see mine on the right fender.

I did two beds with rv mattresses out of an old motorhome. They're a little narrower and thinner than a regular mattress and fold flat against the wall in a 2x6 frame. I used gate hinges and latches and aluminum legs that swing down and pin in place.

White paint is also your friend for good lighting.

Trailer.JPG

So I’m my past work life I learned to despise wasted space. So I turned into a shelf whore for a few minutes. Now I have a good spot to dry towels and stuff if need be.

85EE4DB8-F2E1-4D1D-9DC3-DC6FEF8EEC71.jpeg

66A8ED20-01BA-4EB8-BD9C-EB4BF25E52F3.jpeg

6694A937-2D1E-493C-BDEB-561F385F270B.jpeg

Looks good . Im leaning towards doing this with a gooseneck trailer one day. And getting rid of our travel trailer. Whats your plans for heat?

I used metal strapping over the top of my fridge to secure it in the uhaul.

Is there a camper salvage yard in Oregon. You can usually find couches and all the 12 volt style stuff for good prices. Just an idea for you. How wide is the opening of the trailer?

Like plumbers tape? I like that idea...

yep.

the walls flexed too much to really attach anything to them, and the fridge was on a raised wooden platform.

two pieces of hanger strip around the top secured with lags and washers and it never moved.

I’m not sure I understand the question.

The side door. Does it have internal knob/handle or is it currently an original outside lock/latch only?

I was thinking about converting my little cargo trailer but it has the standard lever/bar exterior latch only and I'd have to replace the door so I can close it from inside and not get locked in by someone

The side door. Does it have internal knob/handle or is it currently an original outside lock/latch only?

I was thinking about converting my little cargo trailer but it has the standard lever/bar exterior latch only and I'd have to replace the door so I can close it from inside and not get locked in by someone

You can buy a trailer door latch kit, you just need to cut a square out of the door and a hole in the frame for the striker plate. I did that and just put a padlock in the bar latch outside so it can't be locked while I'm inside.

I don’t have that issue. I can deadbolt lock/unlock from the inside and open from the inside when the outside is key locked

ECDA57B7-1DEE-452B-8697-6EA380A4F520.jpeg

08A5B2E8-F169-4C90-B486-7F92AF397FF4.jpeg

Oh cool. Had not thought of that. Thanks

Top Back Refresh