What's new

Electric power steering on a Samurai

So a regular power steering system with a pump right?

Adding electric in front of that would a really bad idea imo.

Or you talking about a gutted power steering box with no hydro pump at all?
Why would it be any different than modifying your power steering box for hydraulic assist?

You really don't see the difference between multiplying the input torque to the box vs adding torque after the box?
I get it you’re not liking the idea, don’t be so closed minded. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :flipoff2:

I get it you’re not liking the idea, don’t be so closed minded. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :flipoff2:

Try it if you wish, I pretty much guarantee it won't work well.

It's no different than just totally strong arming a power steering setup. I've seen guys who have a habit of this and they have consistent issues. Overheating fluid, frame and mounts cracking, ect.

Hydro assist is the exact opposite, you're reducing stress on the box and mounting.

Sometimes there is a reason no one is doing things a certain way :flipoff2:

If you want to play with this idea, grab a manual box of your flavor (Toyota made manual ifs boxes, fwiw) and try it out, at least then, if it doesn't work, you can bolt on a power version.

You could also play with a steering quickener if you want a faster ratio lock to lock.

Whelp, ups finally delivered my steering unit. I have no fawking idea when I’ll have the time to install it tho :laughing: I need to test it to verify it’s in working order tho.

IMG_3061.jpeg

Top Back Refresh