What's new

Education on Golf Carts

Here's an example, Went camping here and rented a cart, no charger but if you ran it down you could take it to the shop and swap it out for another. Had a charge gauge on it. $50-70/day
https://www.lakerudolph.com/golf-car-rentals/

we go to Lake Rudolph every year...have reservations for mid-June. Their carts have the chargers built in and a retractable cord reel on the back. when you park the cart to go to Holiday World for the day, they have receptacles to plug into so it is fully charged when you get back. we have had issues with carts not charging, but they are really good about swapping it out for a good cart.

I've got an ancient EV GO retired golf cart from some golf course that I use for hunting on a farm. It's a 36 V and does about 12mph. I'm curious to how loud a gas cart is?

The electric is like a ninja... I've literally got within less than 20 yards from a coyote or hog to take a shot.

That being said. Make sure you have a good charger. Some of the "stock" chargers can fry you batteries. Also, they now have lithium batteries that carry a 10 year warranty but are stupid expensive so I'm told.

Stock muffler is pretty quiet since they are made not to annoy other golfers but they aren't dead silent like an electric. Another thing to point out on the Electric vs gas debate is weight. The electrics are heavy and don't float across soft ground as easy and require more friends to load up on a trailer if dead.

I've got an old ass EZ-GO 36v and honestly it gets used more than the SXS... but that's mainly because it doesn't tear the yard up. It really needs a small lift and some 20-22" tires. Top speed is slow, but no big deal for what it's used for. 6 batteries = $1000, which means it's totalled out every time it needs batteries. With new bats it looks like it's worth maybe $300.

Yes it's heavy compared to gas, but weigh bias is awesome and it'll surprise you at where it will go if you understand how to drive an open diff 2wd vehicle with no power.

Mine has 4WD and an electric rear locker, and seats 6. The clubs are hard to reach when stood up in the bed tho...:flipoff2:

photo55138.jpg

I still have an old Predator. 4 seat with 653cc engine for the rear and 48v electric front.

Family friend has one, older maybe 10-12? He got it new and it's needed nothing but batteries and tires. I would love to have one.

For the 12k a new ezgo costs a ranger ev seems like a way better option.... but ive never driven one

For the 12k a new ezgo costs a ranger ev seems like a way better option.... but ive never driven one

Quiet as shit, 4x4, and in 2wd turf mode it's unlocked so you can rip across the yard without digging the grass.

Offroad- 1000x better than a course cart. Top speed is slow... like 25-30mph. If its farm/land maintenance use, I'd say perfection. If you wanna go ride with your sxs buddies I'd say it's gonna suck.

Only driven it once.

I'm going through the process of converting my Yamaha 36V over to gas.
I have a 7.5 horse electric start engine, Comet CVT, and FNR gear box all purchased for less than replacing the batteries.
The rest is just small odds and ends and some fabri-cobbling.
The weight savings is going to be extreme as well and I'll never have to replace batteries again.
You get 6 good seasons out of a set of batteries it seems, and I've been milking these along another 2. (for personal summer use)

we go to Lake Rudolph every year...have reservations for mid-June. Their carts have the chargers built in and a retractable cord reel on the back. when you park the cart to go to Holiday World for the day, they have receptacles to plug into so it is fully charged when you get back. we have had issues with carts not charging, but they are really good about swapping it out for a good cart.

Ahh.. Lake Rudolph.. went there once about 10 years ago for a family reunion. Had a blast, we drove the shit out of those carts. Good times.

Oh and to stay on topic.. this is our "new to us" one. Not really a fan of the rims but the wife and daughter like them so they stay.
cart.JPG

Ahh.. Lake Rudolph.. went there once about 10 years ago for a family reunion. Had a blast, we drove the shit out of those carts. Good times.

Oh and to stay on topic.. this is our "new to us" one. Not really a fan of the rims but the wife and daughter like them so they stay.

Those front tire pattern reminds me of playing Q-Bert the video game. Weird right?:barf:

Exactly what I'm looking for, even colors...ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Thanks for all of the replies.

He probably left it charging for days on end until the batteries popped. Happens all the time with boats, golf carts and anything else that uses a dumb charger and requires the user be smart enough to switch it to the float setting.

I've got an older charger on my 36v cart, the auto cutoff is dead. If I leave it plugged up forever it will eventually go thermonuclear.

I don't leave it plugged up.

I've got an older charger on my 36v cart, the auto cutoff is dead. If I leave it plugged up forever it will eventually go thermonuclear.

I don't leave it plugged up.

same on our 48v. I just plug it up every now and then when I'm in the shop. Could be an hour or maybe 3 or 4. Just changed the batteries out about a year ago...:eek: on the price. But that's what she wants to ride around the campground in a few weeks a year...:laughing:

I've suggested the rhino but nope...

Edit....also bought a really nice maintainer for it. Then I noticed it was boiling the damn batteries :mad3:

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a multibank battery tender or something similar to maintain the batteries on one?

I have someone that will give me an electric cart for free, but someone stole the batteries and charger from it. Not sure if its worth spending the coin for that? If so, any suggestions for batteries are welcome. Not sure if its 36v or 48v. Anyone used 12v batteries vs 6/8v?

Has anyone tried a multibank battery tender or something similar to maintain the batteries on one?

I have someone that will give me an electric cart for free, but someone stole the batteries and charger from it. Not sure if its worth spending the coin for that? If so, any suggestions for batteries are welcome. Not sure if its 36v or 48v. Anyone used 12v batteries vs 6/8v?

I'd definitely go for a free cart without batteries from someone known who can reliably tell you it worked with batteries. A CL/marketplace golf cart for sale that 'just needs batteries' is the equivalent of 'ran when parked' or 'just needs fuel pump' vehicle; a real gamble on how much to believe the seller & rely on their troubleshooting ability.

new Batteries can be had for 80-100 f you shop around, so youre at 5-600 in batteries and 50-350 for a charger depending on what you chose. So under a grand all in with new batteries,

You can get slow chargers on ebay for $50-ish. : https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-36-Volt...Cclp%3A2334524 I have a friend who got one of these cheapo chargers for a 48v ezgo and says it works, just takes 24-36hrs, {whereas the big transformer charger can recharge within a few hours, but they bring 2-300 used).

Using 12 v instead of 6 or 8 will function, but you'll have less range and shorter battery life. But from a functionality perspective the cart & charger doesn't know the difference between 6x 6volt batteries in series vs 3x 12v boat batteries.

another buddy bought a 36v lithium from ali express to run a trolling motor, which would be neat to try in a golf cart, but even at ali pricing its about even on cost vs flooded lead acids, just saves weight & pkging.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh