What's new

Eaton Elocker4 vs. old style eaton e locker

Talk about pneumatics all you want TrailTamer

I’m a noob when it comes to pneumatics but I’m not a noob about shit talking ARB :flipoff2::lmao: so I can listen to both

They did up their size to 6mm but I’m not sure how common that is.

They did up their size to 6mm but I’m not sure how common that is.
very common. the 6mm is the metric's standard equivalent to SAE's standard 1/4". They don't interchange, like 4mm vs 5/32", though. BUT the 1/4" is 6.35mm and can be forced into 6mm fitting in a pinch lol. it will not come back out and the fitting will need to be replaced.

I don't see any benefits to 6mm as the arb locker only need air pressure, not flow. I'll stick with 4mm for the SAE/Metric interchangeability, as all kind of fittings that take 4mm tubing will take 5/32" tubing, or vice verse. Fittings' threads also direct interchange between metric M5x0.8 and sae 10-32. No brainer to stick with 4mm tubes and M5 fittings, to make any repairs very easy to do.

Pro-tip on how to make push lock connectors to not leak.... make sure you cut your tubing cleanly and square. Push in all the way and give a little tug to 'seat' it. Make sure to route the tube to go straight into the push lock connector at rest.

All good info, I didn't know that about push locks.

The only benefit I see to 6mm from 4mm is just durability, but again if it's routed correctly, it should be fine.

Well, we can close this thread....ARB still works. Broke a dana 60 shaft for the first time
7090A07F-1001-4309-90F8-7008845A6ABC.jpeg

Fwiw, I installed an arb diff in my 4runner over the last few days. I was trying to think of the best way to cut it straight and clean. I ended up using a pvc cutter which worked really well, was clean and easy to make straight.

Billybadass411 texted me this link.

Same break!!! It’s not the locking gear that’s weak. It’s the case material. It’s chinesium, the actuation portion of the locker digs into the case and side loads the pins that push the side gear into the case and sheers them. You would think the side loading would mess with the locking portion of the locker but the locking gear doesn’t seem to care. In my opinion if the case wasn’t made from soft shit metal this locker would be the real deal....but it isn’t.

Old school Eaton’s had weak locking methods and the actual locking portion would break. So they have improved. The old school method was a design flaw. I think this is a material flaw.

Still a ARB love fest? I’m looking at ditching the spool in my Sterling and going to something selectable. I’m not loving the idea of air lines and finding a place for a compressor will be a pain but I want the strongest thing available.

Still a ARB love fest? I’m looking at ditching the spool in my Sterling and going to something selectable. I’m not loving the idea of air lines and finding a place for a compressor will be a pain but I want the strongest thing available.

Ox?

Also, why is air line harder to run then wires?

I have to say, from a strength standpoint I think a full spool is it. If you want selectable look at the OEM E-locker that Ford released in the 2011 Superduties. Some diesel guys seem to think it's pretty bulletproof. I've got one in a 10.25 housing I'm hoping to get off road soon, we'll see how it holds up to 5.38s and 42s.

I’ve had mine in for 7 months now. A week at the hammers, a local wheeling trip and a rubicon trip and it’s been flawless….but 7 months in with my eaton e locker it was flawless too.

I’ve had mine in for 7 months now. A week at the hammers, a local wheeling trip and a rubicon trip and it’s been flawless….but 7 months in with my eaton e locker it was flawless too.
I've got a e locker in the front and its been up to the task..but its not seeing the abuse the rear sees. I spent a weekend on a bunch of tight and wet switchback trails and the spool made it miserable..I know it's the apitomy of strong but I'm done with it! The whole airline thing is just my nature to obsess over any perceived weak link hanging under my Jeep.

Resurrecting this thread…how’s it holding up a year later?

Resurrecting this thread…how’s it holding up a year later?
ARB is still holding up. Admittedly I haven’t had as much wheeling in this year as in years past but I’ll say I broke a u joint and shaft before the ARB and I broke the Eaton before any u joint or shaft

Top Back Refresh