What's new

E4OD Broken Drill Bit Tip

4RunnerGuy

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Galveston, TX
I needed to tap and insert Heilicoils in pan holes that were stripped. I got the last one drilled out after the sun was completely down.

I didn’t realize that I broke about 1” of the 5/16 drill bit off on the bellhousing side of the pan. I tapped it and threaded the Helicoil in, reinstalled the pan, and torqued every thing to spec.

I didn’t realize the bit tip was broken until I was putting away tools. :homer:

I wasn’t able to find the tip any where on the concrete. I’m left to assume it broke off in the pan hole.

I really don’t want to take the trans out of the truck. If I start and drive this truck, what are the odds of catastrophic failure?

Last edited:
If it's full of fluid and not leaking now you won't have a problem in the future. Either it leaks or it doesn't. It's not like it's a through bolt with the hole landing in the valve body.

How the fuck did you manage to tap it with an inch of drill bit in there?

If it's full of fluid and not leaking now you won't have a problem in the future. Either it leaks or it doesn't. It's not like it's a through bolt with the hole landing in the valve body.

That’s what I was thinking/hoping.

I have no idea. I can’t believe the tip of the drill bit didn’t hit me in the face, or at least hear it hit the concrete.

I will update with fail or win...

:smokin:

You sure you didn't set the drill down and step on the bit? 5/16 is a pretty decent-sized chunk of steel to break off in aluminum and not notice...

Unless you're like my buddy, who I've seen stall a worm-drive saw while cutting a 2x10. "If it's not smoking, you're not cutting fast enough!"

ETA- like this, only with an added boot:

how-to-drill-into-concrete-step-1.jpg

Last edited:
It'll be fine.

you've got a filter, and a magnet..

An inch of drill bit isn't going anywhere inside the tranny.

Top Back Refresh