What's new

Dumb TC pump question

SKULLYOTA

NOOB
Member Number
Been searching for awhile, haven't really seen some for sure yes/no's about this....

Gathering parts to put PS on my samurai (235/75-R15's currently, 31-10.50's in the future probably). have a tracker steering gear, and have an autoparts store 20-813 Cardone TC pump, jeep yj application.

am i going to have any issues using a cheapo TC pump and a stock tracker steering gear without hydro assist? will something blow up?

would a restrictor to make it around 2gpm be a good idea? Turn One - Power Steering Flow Restrictor

Last edited:
Should be fine, Wilson is running basically the same iirc. I drove it a few times and it steered great with 35x12.5s on fairly offset wheels. Only got mad when we dropped to well below 1 psi. :laughing:

I'd add a cooler And rock out.

"Help!" is only to be used for the following:

The 'Help!' prefix is only broke down rigs where a member needs assistance. It is not contests, fundraisers, etc

Reactions: Clb
You shouldn’t need hydro assist for 31’s. I’m running 32’s with no issues.
i'm not going to run hydro assist. I just wondered if a stock parts store TC pump would be to much for the tracker steering box without hydro assist.

i'm not going to run hydro assist. I just wondered if a stock parts store TC pump would be to much for the tracker steering box without hydro assist.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood.

It should be fine. I can agree with Yota’s comment about a cooler, though. I don’t have one on mine, but I know it gets damn toasty. :laughing: That’s all stock Zuk parts.

Mine has been fine, I have a 12” dual pass cooler. I’ll probably switch to an aftermarket pump just to clean up the hose connections and reservoir setup, but it’s waaay down on the priority list.

I've been running a TC for a bit now, bought it off Summit. I believe it's an Eddie brand. I had a hard time keeping it cool. Switched to a Howe cooler and its been much better. It doesn't whine/howl or lose power anymore.

D7565D8B-CDFC-4507-8BB6-4FA4F1C02C3B.JPG

IMG_5151.jpg

I mounted the Howe Cooler to the front crossmember just below the winch plate.

IMG_5157.jpg

I want to put a TC pump in my Sammi, as my stock tracker pump is totally worthless on the trail (I'm running a front locker on 34 x 9.5 swampers, with a high steer and z link on 3 linked/coil spring suspension-offroad rig only). What kind of hoses do I need to buy to hook the tc pump to the tracker box? Definitely going to put a cooler in the mix.

I want to put a TC pump in my Sammi, as my stock tracker pump is totally worthless on the trail (I'm running a front locker on 34 x 9.5 swampers, with a high steer and z link on 3 linked/coil spring suspension-offroad rig only). What kind of hoses do I need to buy to hook the tc pump to the tracker box? Definitely going to put a cooler in the mix.
I picked up fittings at a local speed shop to run -6AN hoses on the pressure side

dptyrob LRO has the AN-6 fittings for the tracker box. The TC pump pressure side is 16mm-1.5 O-ring, and that conversion fitting to AN-6 is pretty common. That's all I bought, and plan to just use Surplus Center #6 JIC premade hose.

The easiest and inexpensive method that just plain works is a Toyota Prius electric steering assembly. Three wires no hydraulics to deal with and no power drain off the engine.
Turns my 31x10.5 with ease.

The easiest and inexpensive method that just plain works is a Toyota Prius electric steering assembly. Three wires no hydraulics to deal with and no power drain off the engine.
Turns my 31x10.5 with ease.
No drain off of the engine?

Nope runs off the battery and doesn't use enough juice to drain the battery enough to burden the alternator. After swapping in mine I'll never go back to hydro power steering so simple to install, took an afternoon. Another plus is it's extremely durable and effective.

Last edited:
Nope runs off the battery and doesn't use enough juice to drain the battery enough to burden the alternator. After swapping in mine I'll never go back to hydro power steering so simple to install, took an afternoon. Another plus is it's extremely durable and effective.

Got pics?

Right now this is the only one I got, It's on the right. I can take more just let me know what you want.
thumbnail (1).jpeg

I have electric power steering from a nissan and it works pretty good with 31s and front spartan locker that seems to be stuck locked all the time. I upgraded to a 90 amp alt to be on the safer side. I carry a spare steering box and a steering shaft that I could swap in if the EPS goes kaput for some reason. My main concern is the stock sami box breaking under hard usage. And while I do not enjoy the 5+ turns lock to lock, but it could be worse and it's still way better than armstrongin' it. I do like that it robs no power from the motor and it's a pretty easy set up, but when I swap in bigger axles and tires, I'll be going to traditional power steering with a beefier box for piece of mind.

I think a pretty cool cheapo set up would be to use the EPS and swap in a beefier manual box with 3-4 turn lock to lock that was easy to find in stores/rockauto, but I've come up empty on that. You could prob pull apart a power box and float the piston, but I've not tried that yet.

What leaned me away from EPS was reading somewhere that a Prius EPS could draw as much as 60amps. And i think there was a thread on Zuwharrie were someone had a stock steering box chewed up by it.

Right now this is the only one I got, It's on the right. I can take more just let me know what you want.
thumbnail (1).jpeg

I’ve never researched this, so I don’t know what’s what, but did you use the rack and pinion, or is it just driving the steering gear?

The EPS drives the stock steering box. It's mounted between the steering wheel and steering box. There are numerous Youtube videos on the subject. I paid $175.00 10 years ago for the unit including the ECU took about 5 hours to install and haven't touched it since. It's 1 finger turning no fluid or hoses to deal with.

The EPS drives the stock steering box. It's mounted between the steering wheel and steering box. There are numerous Youtube videos on the subject. I paid $175.00 10 years ago for the unit including the ECU took about 5 hours to install and haven't touched it since. It's 1 finger turning no fluid or hoses to deal with.

Interesting. If I was going to stick my 32’s I might try it.

Not sure how it would do with 35’s.

Got my conversion started. I drew up some brackets in CAD and am waiting for them to arrive from SendCutSend (should be monday)

Used the Low Range wedge mount for the box. and mounted the used aluminum pulley backwards to help scoot it back away from the box....and that pulley is a bear to get on holy shit.

BF94CE2F-90D6-4886-AE69-92C64993DFB6.jpg

76E8FE0F-12B3-4EDE-A00F-D83DA6EA757F.jpg
F10C4F7B-542F-421D-984B-FFE2AB5220EB.jpg

Has anyone found an off the shelf TC pump (with remote resevoir) that has a threaded female port for fluid in? All the ones I've found have a hose barb coming off for the fluid in, and it points at a very inconvenient angle.

Has anyone found an off the shelf TC pump (with remote resevoir) that has a threaded female port for fluid in? All the ones I've found have a hose barb coming off for the fluid in, and it points at a very inconvenient angle.
Take it apart, tap the port and put an AN fitting on it.

Top Back Refresh