What's new

Drop tailgate

Hartmanb1

Member Number
Hey guys looking into doing a drop tailgate conversion on my yj, but I'm curious about thoughts between the swag and the motobilt kits, thanks

doubt you'll get many replies. I looked into it when I had a YJ, but I searched Pirate 4x4 and other sources to basically use CJ parts and do it myself, not buy a kit.

Depending on your intended use you may want to consider a cross bar brace between the inner fender wells. The O.E. tailgate does provide some strength to the corners due to the latch orientation. Corners protect the skin from dents, the wheel well/tailgate connection helps support the corners.

They are not the same animal.

Motobilt replaces tailgate with what looks like 5052 judging by the small bend radius. It is just a table, not providing any strength. But is lighter. Two handed opening operation.

Swag is a skin retaining the oe tailgate but making it a table. Stronger in a direct hit from the rear but still makes the corners of the tub weak without a cross brace.

Whats the intended use? do you like the table aspect or the retro looks?

Last edited:
Maybe not relevant. I used an Omix-Ada CJ-7 replacement tailgate when I converted my '06 LJ into a pickup. It fits and looks perfect but it is light weight.

20200828_132613.jpg

Maybe not relevant. I used an Omix-Ada CJ-7 replacement tailgate when I converted my '06 LJ into a pickup. It fits and looks perfect but it is light weight.

20200828_132613.jpg
Dang, that looks cool! The Jeep and the view.

Top Back Refresh