What's new

Drilling AR500

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
So what’s the best drill bit for AR500. I just spent 1/2 hour trying to drill one 1/8” hole through 1/4” plate. I must of sharpened the drill bit ten times. (I admit I’m not very good sharpening small bits)

So do I want cobalt or carbide? How about titanium? I’m going to order a dozen 1/8” bits from McMaster.

Im not going to have the same trouble drilling the 1/8” pilot holes out to 1/2”, am I? At least I can sharpen a big drill.

I drill through 1/2'' Ar500 with a 1/2'' bit no problem. Regular drills.

I drill through 1/2'' Ar500 with a 1/2'' bit no problem. Regular drills.
I use a Rotabroach bit in a cordless drill, little cutting fluid and let it eat.

Like said, sharp bits, steady pressure and good cutting fluid

What rockwell number does AR500 hold ?

If you have a good tiny point torch you can anneal the area you are drilling by heating it cherry red first and letting it cool. I've done that.

Or yea, usually just plasma cut them... but if you do need to drill it, I have had good luck with TiN coated cobalt drills fresh off the shelf.

I just ordered some cobalt and carbide drills. It’s funny, the first hole I attempted drilled 3/4 of the way through. Which means there’s only a 1/16” left. I don’t care how many times I sharpen multiple bits, I can’t get through. I might try annealing it. Why doesn’t rubbing the drill anneal it?

I just ordered some cobalt and carbide drills. It’s funny, the first hole I attempted drilled 3/4 of the way through. Which means there’s only a 1/16” left. I don’t care how many times I sharpen multiple bits, I can’t get through. I might try annealing it. Why doesn’t rubbing the drill anneal it?
You work hardened the bottom of the hole. Brand new drill with lots of pressure to punch through it. You need to be running about 45SFPM.

Drill it from the other side

the rubbing doesn't anneal it, it work hardens it.

as soon as your drill bit isn't pulling chips, stop. pressing harder and drilling faster like so many do only destroys the drill bit and work hardens the piece being drilled. if its not cutting its dulling and hardening the hole.

are you useing a hand drill or drill press. iirc m42 is awsome in a drill press, they are hard, can chip if using in a hand drill tho. i think m7 is my favorite for hand drilling.

in any case with how cheap you can get a magnetic drill now everyone should have one. not destroying drill bits and the frustration is worth it alone. mag drill and an annular cutter is what i use, makes quick work.

$130 mag drill at vevor right now;

wtf? Are those worth a shit?

As often as I use it, my Hougen might be up for sale if those are decent:laughing:

the rubbing doesn't anneal it, it work hardens it.

as soon as your drill bit isn't pulling chips, stop. pressing harder and drilling faster like so many do only destroys the drill bit and work hardens the piece being drilled. if its not cutting its dulling and hardening the hole.

are you useing a hand drill or drill press. iirc m42 is awsome in a drill press, they are hard, can chip if using in a hand drill tho. i think m7 is my favorite for hand drilling.

in any case with how cheap you can get a magnetic drill now everyone should have one. not destroying drill bits and the frustration is worth it alone. mag drill and an annular cutter is what i use, makes quick work.

Have you used that mag drill before?

They also sell an insanely affordable welder, think it’s any good? It’s $87.

If you have a good tiny point torch you can anneal the area you are drilling by heating it cherry red first and letting it cool. I've done that.

Or yea, usually just plasma cut them... but if you do need to drill it, I have had good luck with TiN coated cobalt drills fresh off the shelf.

So, since I have to wait til Tuesday for the bits, I decided to try a torch. Heated about a quarter sized area and let cool. I sharpened a bit and, low and behold, it went right through. I will say my grinder is in the dark at night, so today I had lots of light when sharpening.

Anyways, I heated another area and will try again in a few.

My plasma is on the blink. I don’t know if I’m going to get it fixed or replaced. I like cut off wheels so much better.

i havent' used that magdrill before, but i do have one from them and it does what its supposed to. i also have a steelmax mag drill that after a couple years wont hold to 1/4" plate unless its perfect bare steel. and it was $800. i spend good money ona magdrill again, it'll be an m18

i wouldn't be afraid to try the cheap welder, just know it wont hardly be worth using on 120v unless its an emergency. i carry a similar one in my camper with 6013rod. its been the difference between having fun a couple more days vs packing up to go home.

Lots of oil, good Cobalt bits, moderate speeds, and moderate pressure.

I always use Rapid Tap as cutting oil for drilling anything hard. Keep the hole wet and let the tool do the work. :smokin:

i havent' used that magdrill before, but i do have one from them and it does what its supposed to. i also have a steelmax mag drill that after a couple years wont hold to 1/4" plate unless its perfect bare steel. and it was $800. i spend good money ona magdrill again, it'll be an m18

i wouldn't be afraid to try the cheap welder, just know it wont hardly be worth using on 120v unless its an emergency. i carry a similar one in my camper with 6013rod. its been the difference between having fun a couple more days vs packing up to go home.

I’ve been wanting to pick up a mag drill for a few years now and might give that one you linked a try.

Also great idea carrying a small welder in your camper for emergency use.

Machine shop in Fox, Howes, has a YouTube show. He ran them for a few days doing production welding.

Dunno though, Vevor seems to be knock offs of knock offs.

I’ve been wanting to pick up a mag drill for a few years now and might give that one you linked a try.

Also great idea carrying a small welder in your camper for emergency use.
I had a SteelMax metal cut saw, came from Lausen (the bolt, paint, etc outfit) worked great till it was stolen.

So I got one hole out to 1/2”. Located it with a bolt and drilled the second hole 1/8”. Pull the whole thing out and mounted it on the mill.

5A03DA9B-A061-44B2-A69E-020FC2D90B64.jpeg

Now just drill the second hole out to 1/2”, right. Easy right? No f ing way. The drills go right through the 1/4” angle (mild steel) and stop at the 500. Anybody that says they drill through this stuff with normal drills is a bull shitter.

So I got one hole out to 1/2”. Located it with a bolt and drilled the second hole 1/8”. Pull the whole thing out and mounted it on the mill.

5A03DA9B-A061-44B2-A69E-020FC2D90B64.jpeg

Now just drill the second hole out to 1/2”, right. Easy right? No f ing way. The drills go right through the 1/4” angle (mild steel) and stop at the 500. Anybody that says they drill through this stuff with normal drills is a bull shitter.

i struggled when i first started but now,
it is easy. :lmao:

go it chucked up and on a mill....

just buy this-

Top Back Refresh