What's new

Double ended ram clearance

CJ7Mike

Member Number
Loc
Arizona
Hey I'm putting a d60 under my cj7 right now with a double ended ram and was wondering if the rod or the clevis will twist? I've searched but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm wondering because I have my ram set in the spot it needs to be in for packaging purposes but it's very close to the diff cover. If the rod or clevis were to rotate it would cause issues.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_021212476.jpg
    PXL_20230918_021212476.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230917_162409679.jpg
    PXL_20230917_162409679.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230918_021347277.jpg
    PXL_20230918_021347277.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Interesting.. I tried twisting mine by hand but couldn't get it to go. That's good news it doesn't move during use though.

Any more input would be awesome before I fully weld it in.

Interesting.. I tried twisting mine by hand but couldn't get it to go. That's good news it doesn't move during use though.

Any more input would be awesome before I fully weld it in.
Do you have a way to knurl the mating surface of the clevis so it has less chance of twisting?

Im using these from EMF...not sure if they still make them

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.19.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.19.26 AM.png
    422 KB · Views: 5
Do you have a way to knurl the mating surface of the clevis so it has less chance of twisting?
I do. That's not a bad idea I will probably do that. Thanks!
The ram shaft will easily spin inside the ram housing, there’s nothing to stop rotation. Your rod ends are the only thing limiting how far the ram shaft can rotate.
That's what I was thinking. So I may have to add a little more clearance.

You can add rubber washers on either side of the heim to limit the twist. You don't need much articulation at the knuckle side.

Turn the clevis so the bolt is perpendicular to the ground?

Grind the head of the bolt a little bit?

Flip it around so the nylock is facing the diff cover? I know my nylocks are way thinner than the bolt head on mine.

just rotate the clevis on that side. mines been like that for years

You will be fine. Mine is like that. For more clearance, you could replace with a heim like mentioned above.

Or ditch the clevis and put the rod end in ram and build mounts on your tie rods.
This. Having that big Allen loosen up in the clevis is a pita to deal with. IMO this is the only way to do it.

You probably have it welded up already but imo your ram should be an inch or two higher and the clevis ends rotated 90 degrees so the bolts are vertical.

You probably have it welded up already but imo your ram should be an inch or two higher and the clevis ends rotated 90 degrees so the bolts are vertical.
I can't because of the stupid leaf springs. I should just link it but that's not in the cards right now.
Cut the diff cover for clearance.
I was thinking that if it becomes an issue

Top Back Refresh