What's new

Double Budget Fixture Table

Dan

Member Number
Loc
N/A
The real budget here was space, which is why it is only 3'x6'x.5".

Built this a couple years ago when i was limited on space and money (I would have easily spent more money if I had space for a bigger table). I think my garage at the time was 17' x 18' which fills up quick.
I still have the table but I also have a much larger one that is 4'x16'x.750".

I knew I would want a bigger table in the future so I built it in a way that I wouldn't outgrow it in a year. Basically I could still use it for odd projects that require a lot of clamping, straightening axles, and misc. things of that sort.

I spent a little over $450 on this table, that cost doesn't include the vice that I already had.

IMG_20170309_205003219.jpg

It looks rusty but that's just the mill scale of the A36 plate.

Last edited:
Here is the original 4"x4" oc grid that I had. I ended up switching to 6"x6" and sure wish I hadn't. If I could do it again I would have stuck with 4x4 for more clamping options and I think build pro stuff would have worked.

IMG_20170228_115548427.jpg

1/2" plate was about $200. I don't remember the individual cost of things, just that the total sum was a hair over $450.

Last edited:
These are the caster mounting plates that thread into the table legs. The threaded material is about 7/8" fine thread and is left over from work so it was free.
There is about 8" inches of adjustment. At it's lowest point the table top sits about 40" off the floor. I'm a tall person so it's perfect for me, others might find it uncomfortable to work with.

IMG_20170306_183356478.jpg

Last edited:
Casters are all swivel and rated at 1000lb each. The base plate they are going into has a nut welded to the inside.
I added a jam nut too.
IMG_20170307_191828943.jpg

Last night.
I love the height of this table and it's my go to work area. I try to always keep it clean so I know I'll have a decent work space for projects.
IMG_20201029_214142484.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome bench.

Stupid question. How the hell do you get that heavy ass vice under and up, to stab that second pin? Gravity gets it to 6 o'clock, but those next 3 hours looks like it would be a bitch.

Awesome bench.

Stupid question. How the hell do you get that heavy ass vice under and up, to stab that second pin? Gravity gets it to 6 o'clock, but those next 3 hours looks like it would be a bitch.

Haha, I just put the vice up last night. It's pretty easy for me but I've done it a few times. Once it gets to the bottom of it's swing I kneel down and push up with my elbow on my knee for leverage. The hole I use for the stow position is also enlarged a little bit to make putting the hitch pin in easier.

And thanks!

Love the bench and everything but the vice mount. Sooner or later you are going to want to beat on something in that vice and you will wallow out the holes where the pin goes or twist something. I mounted my vice to a piece of hardwood and then clamp it to the table with the vice directly over one of the table legs.

I have a bigger, shittier vice for that kind of thing. I try not to beat on this one.

​​​​​​

Thanks, it's pretty nice being able to move it when I need more room. Sometimes I just let it hang if I only need it out of the way for a minute.

Used the vice last night for my notcher.
IMG_20201101_213225063.jpg

I have a strong hands notcher that is set up for holes on 2" center intervals. If I had drilled the holes in the table on 4" centers like I originally laid out the notcher would bolt/pin right to the table top. Really not a big deal to throw it in the vice.

IMG_20201101_213355541.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, it's pretty nice being able to move it when I need more room. Sometimes I just let it hang if I only need it out of the way for a minute.

Used the vice last night for my notcher.

I have a strong hands notcher that is set up for holes on 2" center intervals. If I had drilled the holes in the table on 4" centers like I originally laid out the notcher would bolt/pin right to the table top. Really not a big deal to throw it in the vice.

How do you like that notcher? Ive been contemplating that one, since it is reasonably priced.

I have a table similar, not as nice, but similar, and it LOOKS flat, but it is not.

Is your table flat?

Flat is a relative term.

Love the table. Relatively flat is good for most things. I need to turn my 3/8" plate top "welding table" into a fixture table one of these days.

Reactions: Dan
It was flat when I built it a couple years ago, I ran a laser over the top before welding it. The top plate is only 1/2" which is why I added 2 cross members in the center. There are some bumps around some of the clamping holes where they pulled up a little but those are minor and need to be ground off.
I haven't checked its flatness since I built it thought.

Blanchard grinding is really inexpensive, speaking of flatness. I sent mine out for like $60 I want to say?

Wow that's really affordable. Flattens any imperfections and removes mill scale ( for cheaper tops like this).

Perhaps a stupid question but how did you go about drilling all the clamp holes in the table top? magdrill?

Top Back Refresh