What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

DOT brake lines for rigs running long travel coil overs/ ORI's

I can see having readily available spares as a thing in some locations or terrain.

Having wheeled all over the southwest for 20yrs, the only brake line failures I've ever seen were either improper setup(too short), or lack of maintenance(too old and cracked). Either of which could have been avoided.

Routing the lines up on the upper links and out of the way of everything else that moves should keep them out of harms way. As noted spares are easy to carry too.

Also, even in california, the mother of the nanny state, I've never heard of anyone ever getting a DOT inspection, citation, or even being questioned on parts. Smog shit and registration sure, but nothing else. California just wants there money.

Okay you guys have won me over.

The "dolt" in me was just worried...

Not sure why, my beadlocks have "offroad use only" cast into them... And been running em 3 years lol drove through 4 states and all over Ontario and never had a problem.

I can see having readily available spares as a thing in some locations or terrain.

Having wheeled all over the southwest for 20yrs, the only brake line failures I've ever seen were either improper setup(too short), or lack of maintenance(too old and cracked). Either of which could have been avoided.

Routing the lines up on the upper links and out of the way of everything else that moves should keep them out of harms way. As noted spares are easy to carry too.

I blew a bead and then ripped open a sidewall and the fucking carcass managed to whip around and take out a brake line. Luckily someone with us had spare fitting that worked and kept me on the trail for the rest of the weekend. That's what triggered me to make up more universal lines and start carrying spares.

Basically just AN banjos on the caliper side and AN to 10mm adapters on the frame side and a braded hose in between. Rear axle uses the same length as the fronts for the drop down to the tee so I have one size spare that works everywhere.

1715795535592.png
1715795544982.png

Also started carrying plugs and caps so if something more catastrophic happens, like blowing up a cylinder or caliper, I can hopefully just block off the line and limp home.

1715795642953.png

If your in circle track country AN will be everywhere. But you only need a spare as long as the longest on the rig to cover everything.

Get a stamp that says dot and go nuts.

I wouldn't advocate "street legal" anything. One, most law enforcement are fucking retarded. Two, the ones that aren't and know what they are looking at probably don't care as long as the tires are in the fenders, you aren't on a 3 foot lift kit, or doin the Carolina squat. Three, if your driving record is somewhat clean they aren't combing through your rig for an infraction. They are so short staffed it's an easy money ticket or on to the next one. I think this is definitely a theory conversation and not what is happening out in the real world. Commercial truck and DOT I don't know maybe a different conversation. But for the average Joe I don't see it worth getting hung up on.

Pretty much everyone's trucks on this board are in some type of violation.

I like the AN idea, just carry a long spare that fits everything. That works for me.

I have some cheap AN braided lines for my soft lines to the links and axles, and stock replacement rubber hoses to my calipers. The AN lines are all identical and I keep a spare in the toolbag in case it gets torn off or something.

Also heard running too many rubbers hoses will hurt your braking capability, since they will swell up reducing the amount of pressure going to calipers, while the stainless braided lines don't swell as much.

Last edited:
Yup. If a cop is to the point where they are verifying if your brake lines are DOT approved roadside, your basically fucked anyway.
Totally agree. I've only ever had a cop look deeper into my car once and that was to roast me for my shoddy wiring as an 18yo kid. "I can't even give you a ticket because then you'd spend all your money on that instead of fixing this shit and then your car would burn down and I'd feel bad." To this day as a grown ass man I have a complex about my wiring being clean and pretty and loomed properly.

I wouldn't advocate "street legal" anything. One, most law enforcement are fucking retarded. Two, the ones that aren't and know what they are looking at probably don't care as long as the tires are in the fenders, you aren't on a 3 foot lift kit, or doin the Carolina squat. Three, if your driving record is somewhat clean they aren't combing through your rig for an infraction. They are so short staffed it's an easy money ticket or on to the next one. I think this is definitely a theory conversation and not what is happening out in the real world. Commercial truck and DOT I don't know maybe a different conversation. But for the average Joe I don't see it worth getting hung up on.

Pretty much everyone's trucks on this board are in some type of violation.

I like the AN idea, just carry a long spare that fits everything. That works for me.
Most don't know, those that do don't care. If your shit is reasonably put together, and you aren't an ass, it's probably not a big deal. Trucker fuckers on the other hand....they probably suck to deal with on all of this, but I don't have a CDL and I'm only endangering me and my family with sketchy shit.

Top Back Refresh