Does your passenger seat get used?

Does your passenger seat get used?

• Total voters

94toytruck

Eastcoast crawler
Member Number
Loc
Eastern Pa
Seriously debating removing my passenger seat and putting a package tray their in my buggy. I been thinking about it awhile and kind of torn some I was going to ask the experts their opinions but I came here instead:flipoff2: I was gonna remove it the beginning of the season then 1st trip a rig broke and they hopped in with me, next trip to GER someone broke and ended up with me, same trip night wheeling someone hopped in. My girl went out once the past year, almost zero interest from her TBH. My leg's a bit bitched up and it's not exactly fun getting in and out so moving my cooler and such to the passenger area would make that stuff a bit easier. I did have it out in my old rig many years ago for a bit. Put my tools and cooler there strapped in for awhile but put the seat back in cause someone wanted to ride along. It's not a 5 minute job to put remove and install the seats in my buggy though. PFA
317678594_5631953280253528_4644199459376874258_n.jpg

Anyone remove their passenger seat and regret it?

My passenger seat is typically my storage place for helmet when I'm not wearing it, snacks, sweatshirt, raincoat, etc. 90% It's also there in case someone breaks or wants to ride with me. 5% My wife rides with me occasionally. 5%

What about a small folding jump seat,obviously it will be uncomfortable for long trips but handy when needed

My passenger seat is typically my storage place for helmet when I'm not wearing it, snacks, sweatshirt, raincoat, etc. 90% It's also there in case someone breaks or wants to ride with me. 5% My wife rides with me occasionally. 5%

This is kind of where I'm at, she went twice in 3 years. No one rides with unless they break now and I feel like it's wasted space often.

What about a small folding jump seat,obviously it will be uncomfortable for long trips but handy when needed

I could just put one of those short fold up beach chairs in there if needed or they could sit on my cooler:idea:

I vote keep it! Wheeling is always more fun with a passenger.. Store your junk in the back and run a small cooler bag between the seats

Stuff is already in back. I'm solo most of the time even driving hours from home at this point, no one really wants to go anymore.

Stuff is already in back. I'm solo most of the time even driving hours from home at this point, no one really wants to go anymore.
We seem to either wheel really local (no reason to double up) or drive cross country doubled up with a 2 up trailer. The days of a buddy riding along seem to be behind us too. We've actually been talking about the need for more short trips where someone would ride shotgun. I kinda miss those days.

I've vaguely thought about pulling my passenger seat because it would certainly give me better visibility out the side of the see through panels. I am also playing with different ways to store that quick access stuff. But at the end of the day I'll probably leave it the way it is.

in the crawler i almost always end up with a passenger. not sure how i end up with company while in the middle of now where so regularly. in my pickup or other cars im solo 90% of the time.

We seem to either wheel really local (no reason to double up) or drive cross country doubled up with a 2 up trailer. The days of a buddy riding along seem to be behind us too. We've actually been talking about the need for more short trips where someone would ride shotgun. I kinda miss those days.

I've vaguely thought about pulling my passenger seat because it would certainly give me better visibility out the side of the see through panels. I am also playing with different ways to store that quick access stuff. But at the end of the day I'll probably leave it the way it is.

I been doing 10 hour road trips solo and the only time there's a passenger is if shit goes sideways for someone else on the trip. I miss the days when I'd say there's a open seat who wants it and friends would hop in.

I have one of these here. It's setup to replace your seat but I figured I could mount it above my cell on the PS easily. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see how it is. Problem is I'm not dragging a seat around just in case someone needs it. I already have a PRP doctors style bag mounted right in front of my seat for little stuff. Getting in and out sucks now that my leg's bitched up.

Makers offroad

Dog has to sit somewhere.

She doesn't like being picked up into it. I'd take her every trip if she'd go!
in the crawler i almost always end up with a passenger. not sure how i end up with company while in the middle of now where so regularly. in my pickup or other cars im solo 90% of the time.

I've had a passenger a bunch of times this year but never planned.

Think about what it might take to remake/remount the seat to make it easier/quicker to remove/install. Best of both worlds. IMO, it would be worth it b/c you could optimize the space to carry your needed gear when you don't have a passenger. You could somewhat rebalance the rig depending on if you had someone riding along or not and obviously, there's the added advantage of visibility if you can remove it when you don't need it.

Last edited:
Think about what it might take to remake/remount the seat to make it easier/quicker to remove/install. Best of both worlds. IMO, it would be worth it b/c you could optimize the space to carry your needed gear when you don't have a passenger. You could somewhat rebalance the rig depending on if you had someone riding along or not.
I did mine with 2 quick pins at the front of the seats and slotted mounts at the rear for quick easy removal.. Mostly because i like to clean and dry the seats by the wood stove after a trip in the pissing rain.. It would be very easy to build a nice cargo tray to fit the passenger mounts

Nuts / bolts arent common that attach the seats in my older gm trucks (07) close to 10mm / 3/8 dia reverse torx or something like that.

Took out the center seat in one 07 Chevy Silverado classic but not the other one.

Last edited:
They are a PITA to get out, it's a MF'er to get the inner rear bolts for the seat/harness. It's got normal standard hardware in it. Front has a mount that bolts flat to the floor with the 5point on it. Maybe slotting the back mounts would help, then I could just crack the bolts loose instead of remove them all the way. I gotta pull a panel and look if it's even possible, it's been over a year since I actually had the seats out. I'm not sure which part the nut's are tacked to at this point.

Eric maybe do a rod like I did for the rear tabs when i had suspension seats? My PRP had a removable bar at the front and they were easier to get out than the 3" harnesses were.

TBH that's what should've been done from the start. My mounts are actually so low in back the bolts are below the floor.

TBH that's what should've been done from the start. My mounts are actually so low in back the bolts are below the floor.

maybe cut the vertical tabs off the seat frame and weld on flat tabs, so the bolt can be outside the seat instead of under it?

suspension seats waste a lot of space and generally suck for mounting.

Tossed my tray in there blocked up. It takes up a lot of room with the seat still there. Definitely no added visibility with the panel off.

Attachments

• 20231203_170833.jpg
    20231203_170833.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
maybe cut the vertical tabs off the seat frame and weld on flat tabs, so the bolt can be outside the seat instead of under it?

suspension seats waste a lot of space and generally suck for mounting.

TBH my original thoughts were kinda ditch the PS, put in the tray, sell my matching set of PRPs and buy 1 new badass drivers seat.

If I'm going to cut the mounts out and redo the floor it's gonna snowball into a huge project. I'm not sure I'm ready for that right now. I kinda want to do what's planned for winter.

Still really want a jig made adapter to run 07 style Chevy bucket seats in my square body chevy trucks.

Anyone done this ?
Since this is a seat thread

Thank you Rangerrod

Last edited:
If my wifes not in it, there are usually a few people walking that hop on. (At big events) Or use it to hold the cooler when not ones in it.

Last edited:
I did mine with 2 quick pins at the front of the seats and slotted mounts at the rear for quick easy removal.. Mostly because i like to clean and dry the seats by the wood stove after a trip in the pissing rain.. It would be very easy to build a nice cargo tray to fit the passenger mounts
Your seats get better treatment than my rig does after a trip :lmao:

They are a PITA to get out, it's a MF'er to get the inner rear bolts for the seat/harness. It's got normal standard hardware in it. Front has a mount that bolts flat to the floor with the 5point on it. Maybe slotting the back mounts would help, then I could just crack the bolts loose instead of remove them all the way. I gotta pull a panel and look if it's even possible, it's been over a year since I actually had the seats out. I'm not sure which part the nut's are tacked to at this point.
Slotting the back mounts makes a world of difference. Only having to unbolt the two front bolts and feed harnesses makes seat removal a breeze while still staying secure for the average trail wheeler.

When I’m solo, I store all the small items (soft cooler, recovery basics, small tools etc) in the passenger seat with a PRP seat cover over top. Keeps everything secure and dry while still being super accessible.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh