What's new

Do you ever tell potential buyers no thanks?

Called a guy about a bronco i saw for sale today. Guy had me on the phone for 20 minutes telling me what he thinks its worth and that he didn't want to sell it. Started talking about classic cars in general then asked me if i wanted to go to a car show with him this week. I still have no clue if he plans to sell me the thing.

At least you got a date out of it. If he takes you to a nice supper, you’re going to have to put out. :flipoff2:

Called a guy about a bronco i saw for sale today.... Guy had me on the phone for 20 minutes.... Started talking about classic cars in general then asked me if i wanted to go to a car show with him this week.

It's amazing how many people are holding winning lottery ticket(s) and don't even know it !! Let us know what happens next :smokin:
​​​​

I still have no clue if he plans to sell me the thing.

It's never, ever enough, is it ? :flipoff2:

I'm selling a Ford 4.0 engine on local CL. I always ask anyone interested to please respond via CL email. I have received emails asking me if its still for sale and what's my phone number. I respond with; "Yes, when can you pick it up?" No response.

Tried selling a very clean older pop up camper on FB.. 2.5 days was all i could handle.. and i picked out 3 from the 75 or so responses that seemed serious and committed to come inspect it. All 3 were no shows.. i'll put a sign on it and try local traffic..

I don't get the trend of people committing to coming, setting up a time and place and everything. Then completely flaking without even shooting a text saying they can't make it.

I did have 1 positive interaction on cl recently. Got a set of gm60 knuckles with some other parts I needed recently. I asked around to buddies to see if anyone needed them with no luck. Posted on Craigslist and the first guy to respond just asked if I could ship, I said yes, PayPal? Yes. He sent PayPal, I sent them out. No whats your bottom dollar, will you trade for a bazooka tube that just needs a wire soldered and a 20" light bar that only has a few broken leds? Can you deliver it 2 hours away but still take 40% of your asking price?

I don't get the trend of people committing to coming, setting up a time and place and everything. Then completely flaking without even shooting a text saying they can't make it.

I think its some kind of fucked-up game they are playing. They must think its fun to waste the time of people they don't know, makes no sense to me. It happens to me on a regular basis. I don't FB so I am stuck with CL if I want to sell something locally.

I stopped selling anything myself. Sold a motorcycle at a consignment shop and was pretty impressed with the process.

I just got this response to a CL add for Bilstein shocks, looks legit.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 7:55 PM Grace Smmollet <[email protected]. org> wrote:
I've been looking for it for a long time I really like your product This is perfect for me. So I want to buy it.
If you still have, text me thank you

[email protected]

I really like the texts

Do you still have the full title and price, if so, I am very interested, but I will need to use this Hungarian chat room for future communications with this transaction.

[486 said:
;n110036]

right on man, anything will fuckin' fit
just gotta swap a d30 under your drw chevy :flipoff2:

Facebook idiots are taking this to the next level. I've had 2 people now respond to ads asking if I am a mechanic for whatever the part came off of. Not even asking just to install the part. Have a 7.3l hpop and this guy starts launching into how much to fix a whole list of problems on his truck.

This week I learned selling spare scuba gear cheap really brings out the idiots

Try selling Honda rims.

I sold them in the first hour. Marked all ads as sold.

I have people messaging me on other for sale ads, to ask about the Honda rims... because they can't FB message me off the sold Rims ad.

Deleted the ads... still have people messaging me.

I have a 2002 Dodge cummins, 5spd, 4x4 that the chassis is solid on, body is garbage from being a farm truck its whole life. I posted a very detailed ad on FB about what I'm looking for, I've had good luck in the past with wanted ads...
Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20200909-214104_Messenger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	127795

see, you seem to have listed it for a reasonable $500 for a clapped out dodge
up your listing to $5k and you'll find a different class of buyer for your cummingsbrah

Try selling Honda rims.

I sold them in the first hour. Marked all ads as sold.

I have people messaging me on other for sale ads, to ask about the Honda rims... because they can't FB message me off the sold Rims ad.

Deleted the ads... still have people messaging me.

I try not to do anything with Honda cars anymore, the buyers are often too dumb and too broke to be worth the effort. I fixed and flipped a Civic a couple years ago, non stop offers for half of my asking price, lots of dumbfuck trade offers, was glad to take 500 less than I wanted to just not talk to anyone else when I did sell it. Had some shit left over, one of which was a bezel for around the stock cluster that let you mount extra gauges (I bought the car for a cheap turbo project initially). I had a dude message me about that fucking gauge pod on every single item I had for sale on OfferUp because I didn't respond about it immediately.

[486 said:
;n127862]
For whatever reason it took like 4 read-throughs of the post up there to get that through my thick skull.
Guess I'm mentally challenged and illiterate.
Just call me Roy

haha, yeah i had to re-read it too

saw the low hanging fruit and had to :beer:

[486 said:
;n127862]
For whatever reason it took like 4 read-throughs of the post up there to get that through my thick skull.
Guess I'm mentally challenged and illiterate.
Just call me Roy

You're an angry Roy :flipoff2:

The title says <- want to buy. Fagbook wont let you post wanted in the title, so you have to get creative.

Jesus Facebook marketplace is getting to be a bigger shit show. Had a good description and pics of some stock Chevy 20” rims and tires I was selling. Nothing but “are these available” “what’s your lowest price” “I’ll take them in x days if still available” “random messages in Spanish”. Dude just drove up from the valley to pick them up. Responded to text when I said I preferred that.

Had them on Craigslist and OfferUp also with about zero interest.

I have a $2,000 minivan up on craigslist. Not a beater, but probably still priced a little high at $2k. Now that I think of it, this is the first vehicle I've ever listed where I haven't gotten any texts asking my lowest price or offering me half of what I am asking, thats pretty strange...

The other day I did get an email from someone through the craigslist email system, asking for my email so they could contact me, so I ignore them. couple days later I get another email through craigslist, from someone who sounds like the last guy's daughter, asking for my email so her dad could contact me. So this time I email back, from my personal email address, with just a quick "sorry I thought you were a scammer, what would you like to know about the van" and in reply I get the same, "it would be nice if we could have your email to contact you..." reply.Mind you, the ad also lists my phone number and text as the preferred way to contact me.

So I'm guessing they either don't speak english at all, or are just fucking retarded. I guess I'll never know, the money ain't enough these days to deal with people who can't follow simple instructions.

I must be terrible with money or just have bad habits. When I call about an item I find that I am interested in I rarely counter offer them, show up with cash, and purchase without games or second guessing.

When I am selling something I will respond to every inquiry, give all the info I have about the item. Usually throw in the spare parts I bought, and generally end up dropping my price to get the sale. It usually took dozens of potential buyers stopping by and looking before a sale goes through.

I've raised my perceived value up so that if it isn't worth $200 I won't list it. It isn't worth the effort to sell, most of these items are given to someone that I know would want or they go in the dumpster. My time is of greater value than dealing with the nonsense.

I must be terrible with money or just have bad habits. When I call about an item I find that I am interested in I rarely counter offer them, show up with cash, and purchase without games or second guessing.

When I am selling something I will respond to every inquiry, give all the info I have about the item. Usually throw in the spare parts I bought, and generally end up dropping my price to get the sale. It usually took dozens of potential buyers stopping by and looking before a sale goes through.

I've raised my perceived value up so that if it isn't worth $200 I won't list it. It isn't worth the effort to sell, most of these items are given to someone that I know would want or they go in the dumpster. My time is of greater value than dealing with the nonsense.

This is how I feel about selling stuff. I have half of my shed filled with things that are too valuable to throw away, and too inexpensive for me to bother to sell. The bulkiest item I have taking up shelf space is 4 sets of 8.25" travel Bilstein shocks, 2 older, 2 nearly new. I have listed them a few times on CL and all I get is low ball offers for all of them. I mean real lowball, answer with "you mean just one set right?", go fuck yourself kind of offers. Its a conundrum.

I

I actually bought my 53 Willys by not lowballing. He was asking $2500 and only 15 minutes away from my place. I drove over, looked at it, and it was not worth that. Told him “Thanks for your time, but it’s more of a project than I’m looking for” and left. I got about 4 blocks away and my phone rang:

Seller: ”I can work with you on the price.”
Me: “I could do $1000.”
Seller: “How about $1100.”
Me: “I’ll be back with my trailer tomorrow, what time works for you?”

When I picked it up, I found out why his number was $1100. He had just found a used road bicycle for sale for $1100 and wanted it. I was also probably the only person to show up to look at the 53 because of his high asking price.

Built my dad a 1948 Willys Jeep with that same logic. Drove over, and it wasn't worth what he was asking. Told him thanks, and left. Got a call back same day. Went back and got it for 1300 next afternoon. .... Finished building it and took dad for a couple spins, and a parade, couple things like that. Dad has never driven it. It'll be for sale in a year or so.

This is how I feel about selling stuff. I have half of my shed filled with things that are too valuable to throw away, and too inexpensive for me to bother to sell. The bulkiest item I have taking up shelf space is 4 sets of 8.25" travel Bilstein shocks, 2 older, 2 nearly new. I have listed them a few times on CL and all I get is low ball offers for all of them. I mean real lowball, answer with "you mean just one set right?", go fuck yourself kind of offers. Its a conundrum.

Half my back yard and side yard are full of stuff in that boat. I have STACKS of wheels laying around, most are 16.5's, others have bad chrome etc... they're spares or shit I didn't use. I don't bother trying to sell any of them anymore. The spare set for my F150 are the worst because I get every kid with a clapped out OBS Chevy that doesn't understand why I won't trade for 15's and that they won't fit anything but an F150/Expedition/Navigator. I put those ones up for something like 150 bucks, because the chrome is shitty on em and mostly had "If you have em next Friday will you take $100?" or "Will you take 50 bucks? The center caps are expensive!"

Its nice to know I'm not alone in my semi-hoarding views on stuff. I forgot to mention my spare 4.0 Explorer engine I pulled out of a rusted out parts Explorer. I decided to sell it and all I got were borderline insulting offers for a complete running engine with only 89,000 miles on the odometer. Now I am thinking of rebuilding it with performance parts, then swapping it with my OEM engine. Either that or doing an complete engine swap with a GM L32 SIII Supercharged 3.8 when I move out of Kalifornia. First option would be easy, the other would be much more fun.

People parting out vehicles on Facebook. Yea, Not paying $100 for a door when I can buy a whole truck for $500-600.

I think its some kind of fucked-up game they are playing. They must think its fun to waste the time of people they don't know, makes no sense to me. It happens to me on a regular basis. I don't FB so I am stuck with CL if I want to sell something locally.

I send emails for a couple weeks asking when they are showing up,even after I sell it.

I've bought a good amount of stuff on FB. But man what a pain. And I don't do FB on my phone, so the comms are interesting. People think I'm a scammer because I have no FB friends.

In years past I sold a lot of stuff. Now I am just trying to clean out my extra stuff which will take awhile. A few recent ones were a pair of 15x7 white spoke wheels, 6 lug. First guy and I go back and forth for probably 10 messages. 2 hours before pick up he says those aren't 16".....I am like no they aren't. Next day a guy wants some to load a rig on a trailer as they fronts are two big. He is from out of town, keeps asking if they hold air. Ad says clearly that the tires are no good. So I air them up over night, message him and crickets. Four days later I get a message from a decent guy, he drives out and buys them. Too much work for $25.00.

The ones that I hate are the big talking kids, like can't grow a beard guys. "Consider it sold" or "You'll take the $3000 I am offering" "it is mine take the ad down". It is weird to me to talk to anyone that way. Especially a stranger. The talk at you like you and them have an agreement or something and you haven't even spoken to them.

My friend and I used to sell car parts and he has a theory. And that is that people are sitting around with nothing better to do than message. Throw something out there and see if you will take it.

My problem is that I look at online communication like face to face. In other words I don't put anything on the screen I would not say face to face.

It takes a lot of patience to sell most anything in this day and age. Lots. I keep it positive and light. Try and not get too excited and stuff sells.

Top Back Refresh