What's new

Do not use wood burning fireplace for supplemental heating?

I use mine daily for heat because it’s free

"free" :laughing:

As long as you count clearing trees, dragging them out, stacking them, bucking them, splitting them, moving them, stacking them, then moving them again "free". :laughing:

I use my woodstove all winter long. Propane furnace as a supplement. I'd say 90% of out heat is woodstove. Furnace kicks on occasionally because the wife can't do the woodstove :rolleyes:.

Unless you mean fireplace, then for me the woodstove is great. 78º all winter long.

thought they had 18 cause 14 were expected to die before their tenth birthday?

Funny note here and still on topic, in the early days people would sell their kids off to chimney sweepers.

Yes, that is true. The smaller the home, less it impacts it. A larger home can get downright chilly away from the fire, even with a furnace running. That fireplace will suck air through every draft you didn't know you had in order to keep itself fed, unless you have an outside vent kit.

This.

combustion air has to come from somewhere, which is from inside the house... which essentially creates a vacuum sucking cold air in from outside.

After 4 days without power, I wish I had a fireplace....stupid modern home...:homer:

I grew up in houses that used wood burning stoves for heat. I’m surrounded by houses that burn wood for heat. A fireplace is inefficient. A properly built and installed stove can heat up to 1200 square feet just fine.

My dad owned this big old Blaze-King and he moved it every time we moved into a different house. That thing and aspen wood kept us toasty warm in Vernal Utah at -40° outside temp.

As long as you count clearing trees, dragging them out, stacking them, bucking them, splitting them, moving them, stacking them, then moving them again "free". :laughing:

I use my woodstove all winter long. Propane furnace as a supplement. I'd say 90% of out heat is woodstove. Furnace kicks on occasionally because the wife can't do the woodstove :rolleyes:.

Unless you mean fireplace, then for me the woodstove is great. 78º all winter long.

Same boat here other than that the wife can manage the stove. We bought a Jotul insert for the fireplace when we bought the house and put a large Jotul F600 in the basement for when it's single digits or less. LP furnace hardly ever kicks on. This particular insert wasn't worth the money, 2 little squirrel cage blowers on it that aren't exactly quiet, but they do work. They don't last long and aren't really rebuildable, just clean them and hope for a few more months. I think the last replacement ones I bought were $280 each?

I've heard that before and I call BS. How did the early settlers heat their homes???

A forest of wood they cut from the land they stole from the Indians to rape the land with monoculture crops... Oh wait I had my SJW filter on!

Problem with most houses is they are not build for wood heat and the circulation needed and so the heat loss out the chimney is close to the amount provided by the fire.

My wife grew up in a 1880s farm house with 4 fireplaces. Every doorway had open transoms to let the heat circulate. There were iron grills in the floor to get the air into room above the fire places. The system worked well. When they converted one fireplace to a free standing kerosene heater you had to crack the windows on the second floor cause it generated TOO much heat.

It was also well situated on the property so that most summers were dealt with with open windows and the breeze.

They don't want an uptick in Fire responses since no one cleans their chimney out. The entire state would burn if every idiot just started lobbing shitty soft wood and whatever other junk they can find into their fire places:rolleyes:

Their wording in that E-mail sucked. After I pulled out the furnace at the farm the only heat we had was the wood stove., it could burn your face off if you put a few black walnut logs in it. But if it was a fireplace in the wall that ran on gas or logs and most of the heat went up the chimney, then yes they would be correct.

Indeed, its inefficient, depending upon the setup.

I use the wood stove downstairs. It puts out enough heat to keep the furnace off down there, and mostly off upstairs. We also have a fireplace upstairs that draws its air supply from outside. That's an extremely efficient design, as far as fireplaces go. Its been used ONCE in the 43 years of this home's life. The POs told us the first winter (78-79), they had an arctic front move through and thought the stove wouldn't keep up, so they lit the fireplace as well. Next thing they knew, they had the windows open standing around in their underwear because it got too hot in the house.

I have never felt the need for the fireplace with the wood stove burning.

Same boat here other than that the wife can manage the stove. We bought a Jotul insert for the fireplace when we bought the house and put a large Jotul F600 in the basement for when it's single digits or less. LP furnace hardly ever kicks on. This particular insert wasn't worth the money, 2 little squirrel cage blowers on it that aren't exactly quiet, but they do work. They don't last long and aren't really rebuildable, just clean them and hope for a few more months. I think the last replacement ones I bought were $280 each?

That's the exact stove we have... and it heats the entire 2400 sq ft home without issue.:smokin:

We have a Jotul 500. She just...doesn't stay on it. Five hours will pass, its almost out, she's got it stuffed with paper trying to get it going again, etc. I check it once an hour.

House is 3800sqft. Its gets a little chilled upstairs. I mean, its upper 70s downstairs and upstairs at the furthest point from the stove its 65ish. Its not chilled, but the temperature variance is there.

We bought a Jotul insert for the fireplace when we bought the house and put a large Jotul F600 in the basement for when it's single digits or less.

Basement insulated at all? What does the basement stove provide that the insert can't? Capacity?

We have a Quadra Fire 5700 in the basement we used the first year in our house, and man I'd have to have that thing rockin' to get the first floor lukewarm. Most of thats due to house/airflow design. Had to disconnect due to chimney problems

Last winter we put a pellet stove in the living room, we went pellet because the min clearances were so much less, 1100sqft house doesn't have a ton of room for a wood stove in the living area. I do miss the warm floors the basement stove gave us, and the backup for when the power went out. I've considered moving the wood stove to an outside wall and putting up another chimney, using it like you say for the weeks below 0 or as a backup. Not sure if its worth it.

550.jpeg

Current set up in the living room.

Last house (cabin) had a huge chimney in it for the size of the place. I ended up sliding a wood stove in there and insulated around the flue pipe that I stubbed up into the chimney. I usually had a window open it would be so hot in there.

photo48198.jpg

My in-laws use fireplace heating as the main source of heat during the winter in Colorado, they have baseboard backup heaters. They have the fireplace insert that has a blower motor that blows the hot air off the hot metal surface back into the house. On high it can make you sweat if you have a good fire and coals rolling. The house is probably 800 sqft on the main floor and that fireplace will rock it if you let it.

This is pretty much my setup but with a pellet stove. It stays a good 75 degrees in the house with the stove running, a box fan, and a window open.

Humidifier is a must have though.

A good sheeple NEVER questions authority...

Wait, weren't you just giving me shit about using chinese dual band radios on GMRS without a license? So you're selective over which boots you lick? :lmao:

Yes Sir! :lmao:
The fuel air source can be channeled to be fed "outside air" so as not to create a negative pressure situation.
Thus negating the warning of "it will suck the heat out" of the house and kill the plannet!

But If we follow along your sentiment, then we should not drive our rigs so as not to make smog!
We are not talking installation of and operation of a banned product (akin to no license) See in the prk themnthings (woodburners) are regulated out the ass by carb!

But good catch on the radio!:flipoff2:

I have lots of trees downed on the riverbottom and a lot of others threatening fences at any given time. I need to do something with them anyhow so I might as well burn them to heat my home in the winter. Yeah it's mostly cottonwood, which burns hot but burns fast, but I already have it in large quantities.

Yes Sir! :lmao:
The fuel air source can be channeled to be fed "outside air" so as not to create a negative pressure situation.
Thus negating the warning of "it will suck the heat out" of the house and kill the plannet!

But If we follow along your sentiment, then we should not drive our rigs so as not to make smog!
We are not talking installation of and operation of a banned product (akin to no license) See in the prk themnthings (woodburners) are regulated out the ass by carb!

But good catch on the radio!:flipoff2:

I don't give a fuck about people using their own fireplace, we have saying here "what you do on your side of the stone wall is your business."

I just wanted to point out that you mock authority while mocking others for not following authority (licensing).

I have lots of trees downed on the riverbottom and a lot of others threatening fences at any given time. I need to do something with them anyhow so I might as well burn them to heat my home in the winter. Yeah it's mostly cottonwood, which burns hot but burns fast, but I already have it in large quantities.

I'm in with tree crews clearing utility lines. I can load a trailer everyday. It gets exhausting. About three times as much as I can keep up with. I have about 15 cord on hand that need to be processed. I process one truck load, I get two more that week. It just doesn't freaking stop. :laughing:

But, its the only thing that keeps me in check physically. I sit at a desk for 40h a week. Nevermind the gaming I do in my free time at home.

[486 said:
;n313043]

rofl
as I sit here fiddling with assembling a waste oil burner in the stupid fucking cold

I could send you a LFRB of spent 9's with rocks jammed in them you can dig out with a dental pic. Never fails to get me boiling mad after a few minutes :laughing: I wanted to put a supplemental waste oil drip line in the first winter but didn't have the oil on hand to seem worthwhile. When I got here there were 4 225g propane tanks hooked to the furnace. Came back from a run and they were gone :lmao: bossman's bro gave him the boiler when he retired, he assumed his brother was gonna come hook it up brother replied I retired and I meant it! Was a Boiler man in NH for 35 years. Won't even change a clogged orifice these days :grinpimp:

Have a fireplace (not an insert) on one end of my house, it'll heat the living room enough to roast you out, but the rest of the house gets cold. We did an experiment a while back, stopped running the furnace and did fireplace only, but kept the furnace fan on to circulate air in order to keep the rest of the house warmer. We could keep the house habitable that way, the far end from the fireplace was in the 50's and the living room was 80-90ish, trouble was, what we saved in gas by not running the furnace, we spent on electicity to keep the furnace fan running all the time, and we had to be constantly feeding more wood into the fireplace. Decided the fireplace was nifty for special occasions and not worth it other than that.

Centrally located and decently ducted wood stove, I'd say could be worthwhile, but you'd want a more efficient setup than I have. That said, if your power is out (my furnace is gas, but fan and controls are electric) and you're in a bad way, I'd absolutely use the fireplace to try to keep the pipes from freezing.

OLD fireplaces worked great because the chimney was stone and held/put off lots of heat, now days the chimney is a pipe inside of a fake "chimney" so all the heat goes right up and out

This, Native rock chimney and 8' mantle. center of room with a blower and ceiling fans in other rooms pulling heat. works for us. It also takes up to 39" logs and the house ducting is in the foundation. Running non stop since 2/09/21.

Have a fireplace (not an insert) on one end of my house, it'll heat the living room enough to roast you out, but the rest of the house gets cold. We did an experiment a while back, stopped running the furnace and did fireplace only, but kept the furnace fan on to circulate air in order to keep the rest of the house warmer. We could keep the house habitable that way, the far end from the fireplace was in the 50's and the living room was 80-90ish, trouble was, what we saved in gas by not running the furnace, we spent on electicity to keep the furnace fan running all the time, and we had to be constantly feeding more wood into the fireplace. Decided the fireplace was nifty for special occasions and not worth it other than that.

Centrally located and decently ducted wood stove, I'd say could be worthwhile, but you'd want a more efficient setup than I have. That said, if your power is out (my furnace is gas, but fan and controls are electric) and you're in a bad way, I'd absolutely use the fireplace to try to keep the pipes from freezing.

A box fan at floor level blowing into the living room will push the heat out into the other rooms.

When I first installed my stove I did an experiment by hanging 5 ft strings all over the house to see where the air was flowing. I originally had the fan blowing out of living room but once I flipped it around the strings went nuts all the way down the hallway and house heated up. Cats went apeshit.

Last edited:
I don't give a fuck about people using their own fireplace, we have saying here "what you do on your side of the stone wall is your business."

I just wanted to point out that you mock authority while mocking others for not following authority (licensing).

Ok
fair nuff

I seen the no licence deal as a snowflake move, whereas the power provider stating don't use wood = bullshit on so many levels.

Sorry if I hurt some feelers out there.

I could send you a LFRB of spent 9's with rocks jammed in them you can dig out with a dental pic. Never fails to get me boiling mad after a few minutes :laughing: I wanted to put a supplemental waste oil drip line in the first winter but didn't have the oil on hand to seem worthwhile. :

just throw them in the melting pot lol
fuck digging rocks outta 9x19 brass, that's almost like spending any effort at all on .40 brass :flipoff2:

I was kinda down on the waste oil idea because of all the fucking wood I got laying around
but, if I do it right with like a siphon nozzle and electronic ignition I can make it run itself, no need to feed the shit twice a day to keep the pipes from freezing

oh and they started charging 50 cents a gallon to pick up waste oil so where I used to work is now super fucking happy that I pick up a portion of what they make
the trans flush machines were easy to set up to drain separate, it's generally cleaner, and that shit runs in diesels with less thinner than engine oil, so woohoo? Figuring on setting up the oil burner to run on the engine oil garbage.

I run an open fireplace in the winter every so often, not because the heat doesn't keep the house warm, but because I just like the fireplace. I did use the open fire place to heat the house (2 story, built in 1900) at night last winter when my heat unit was having problems. It worked. You go through a lot of wood, but it does work. I could get the living room so warm it was uncomfortable.

Top Back Refresh