What's new

Do Jeep JK 2012-2018 have lower radiator hose springs?

JKN4LOW

Member Number
I’m trying to solve my overheating issue on my 3.6l JK motor. By “overheating” I mean climbing into the high 230s on heavy grades. I’ve cut the vents out on my 10A hood and installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator. Maybe some of it has to do with my winch blocking some of the grill, but a new winch sunken bumper is on the way. Maybe it has to do with the Jeep being close to 6000 lbs and on 39” tires and 4.88 gears.

It got me thinking, I don’t remember putting a spring back in my lower radiator hose when I replaced it. Maybe the vaccum is collapsing the hose? I’ve scoured the internet and couldn’t find anything on if the springs are even used anymore. Based on the lower radiator hose’s curves, I think it would be hard to get one in there.

Anyways, do these hoses have springs or not?

When did the issue start???
Did you do all the modifications at once or…???
Everything was stock on the motor and cooling system when it started???

My wifes 2016 JKUR has 40s and a winch blocking the radiator and its never gotten hot climbing grades and we live in hot ass Texas and use it as a DD family vacation rig so it's constantly getting driven.

Either the cooling system still has an air pocket in it after you worked on it or it may possibly have a head gasket thats on its way out and that is the early warning sign.

BTW.......

Take that aluminum radiator out, stomp the fuck out of it and throw it in the nearest dumpster and put an OEM one back in it. I don't give a fuck what brand it is, its going to crack and leak at some point and it's usually sooner than later. Fuck those things

My wifes 2016 JKUR has 40s and a winch blocking the radiator and its never gotten hot climbing grades and we live in hot ass Texas and use it as a DD family vacation rig so it's constantly getting driven.

Either the cooling system still has an air pocket in it after you worked on it or it may possibly have a head gasket thats on its way out and that is the early warning sign.

BTW.......

Take that aluminum radiator out, stomp the fuck out of it and throw it in the nearest dumpster and put an OEM one back in it. I don't give a fuck what brand it is, its going to crack and leak at some point and it's usually sooner than later. Fuck those things
This^^^

Same thing happened to my SIL’s 2015…. Changed fluid and had to pull the top hose off to burp it!!!!

That’s why I was asking the questions…..
could possibly be from when OP changed the rad???? Why change the rad????
So many questions but Newb OP is MIA!!!!!

I have a 2012 2 door with an Edelbrock supercharger and have never had overheating issues. Bought the jeep with 59,000 miles on it and put the supercharger on around 84,000 and during that install found out that the driver side head had been replaced before.

When did the issue start???
Did you do all the modifications at once or…???
Everything was stock on the motor and cooling system when it started???
I bought it bone stock from carmax. I don’t remember it running hot when it was stock, but it’s much heavier now

This^^^

Same thing happened to my SIL’s 2015…. Changed fluid and had to pull the top hose off to burp it!!!!

That’s why I was asking the questions…..
could possibly be from when OP changed the rad???? Why change the rad????
So many questions but Newb OP is MIA!!!!!
I’ve changed the fluids 10s of times now. Winch sunk bumper coming soon. I also have a PSC dual cooler blocking the rad as well. If the bumper doesn’t help, then I’ll probably delete that and go back to the normal PSC cooler.

I’ve changed the fluids 10s of times now. Winch sunk bumper coming soon. I also have a PSC dual cooler blocking the rad as well. If the bumper doesn’t help, then I’ll probably delete that and go back to the normal PSC cooler.
I don’t think air blockage is your problem!!!!!!

This is fact.

I don’t think air blockage is your problem!!!!!!
Yeah probably not. I did one of those blue fluid tests to see if the head gasket is leaking and it didn’t appear to have any issues. I guess I’ll burp the cooling system again.

I broke a valve spring this March and got bent over hard by a Jeep dealer. Ended up with two new heads & two of the cams replaced. Had new hoses, thermostat, belt etc put on at same time. Get to Kalifornia for summer job in eastern sierras and cannot climb a grade without heating. Coming from Bishop it’s 6% for 8 miles. Have to stop each time. Took me forever but finally got it solved. New stock T-stat only partially opening. Put a new Dorman thermostat in & problem solved-finally.

230* isn’t really abnormal for the 3.6. All the 3.6s in my group hit 230* on long grades and climbs.

Hell, I’ve had rental Chargers that ran in this range if you gave them the beans for a decent amount of time

Top Back Refresh