What's new

Do Flyswatters actually work?

Dunning-Kruger is definitely appropriate for OP. Fucking moron.:rolleyes:

Ever heard of a fucking screen door? Ground breaking shit....

Dunning-Kruger is definitely appropriate for OP. Fucking moron.:rolleyes:

Ever heard of a fucking screen door? Ground breaking shit....

What if a fly is born inside the house. Then what?

How do you do it? When they breed in that empty space that is your head and then fly out your ears?

You buy a screen door.

OK, seriously, this is fawking pathetic.

Killing flies like a pro is a skill all men and liberated women should master, so I'mma' drop some science on yer' ass:

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty (then washing them): get behind the fly and clap from both sides just above and ~1/2-hand behind the center of the fly. It will jump into your "kill zone" 99% of the time (based on my results over the last ~30 years since I learned that trick).

Here's a really shitty Yootoob video showing the basic technique:

you said:
But but but . . . why?

Flies jump to take off / initiate flight; and they reposition their center 2 legs in a few milliseconds, immediately before jumping, based on the vector of a perceived threat. By default, they generally jump up & back; and by presenting 2 equal / opposing threat vectors, you force them into their default jump routine or to jumping away from the hand perceived as the greater / primary threat (and into the path of the other hand, or at least to a spot within your "clappy kill zone").

OP - if you can't outsmart a fly swatter, maybe this will help you outsmart the flies.
Also, point your "genius" toward researching screen technology - access denial is a proven preventive measure.

Last edited:
What if a fly is born inside the house. Then what?

How do you do it? When they breed in that empty space that is your head and then fly out your ears?

You buy a screen door.

Another dumb ass, but it is possible you're a fly SME... Muslim and flies and all. Y'all do smell like shit.

OK, seriously, this is fawking pathetic.

Killing flies like a pro is a skill all men and liberated women should master, so I'mma' drop some science on yer' ass:

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty (then washing them): get behind the fly and clap from both sides just above and ~1/2-hand behind the center of the fly. It will jump into your "kill zone" 99% of the time (based on my results over the last ~30 years since I learned that trick).

Here's a really shitty Yootoob video showing the basic technique:

Flies jump to take off / initiate flight; and they reposition their center 2 legs in a few milliseconds, immediately before jumping, based on the vector of a perceived threat. By default, they generally jump up & back; and by presenting 2 equal / opposing threat vectors, you force them into their default jump routine or to jump away from the hand perceived as the greater / primary threat (and into the path of the other hand, or at least to a spot within your "clappy kill zone").

OP - if you can't outsmart a fly swatter, maybe this will help you outsmart the flies.
Also, point your "genius" toward researching screen technology - access denial is a proven preventive measure.

Now this thread got interesting.
I will take this into account in the next catch and release. I am obviously catching them mid jump, but never knew they jump and jump backwards.

Since I move my hand slowly towards them from the ass side like catching a snake, and then do a swift movement, I never really see what is going on.

Awesome, thanks. Smarter every day.

Edit: my current ratio is 75%

Last edited:
Cant say that I have ever had an issue with the standard fly swatter sold in almost any store in the world for a couple bucks.

Maybe quit jerking off to women beating videos for a bit and allow your wrist and forearm muscles to heal up? Should increase your quickness

:lmao:

Well I got a 2 for 1 deal, $1 from the local Poverty store. We'll test the premise if I've got neurological damage or not. They are wire but cheap, cheap plastic on the end and look like they''ll last about 3 swipes. If the leverage gives me a huge mechanical advantage over the insects, then I'll purchase a good Made in USA flyswatter.

If you miss the flies, explain to them how above-average you are so they'll respect your superiority :laughing:

Archimedes figured out your question more than 2000 years ago. But surely a jenus like you knows that.

Yes they work. That's why they've been around for a million years. :homer:

Bug-a-salt works very well, the salt scatters and is usually no worse than your average dust. If you live in a dusty area I'd definitely never worry about it. Usually you'll be shooting them around the windows so the salt collection will be in the sil or the floor in those areas. Easy to deal with if you shoot a lot.

Pro tip: shoot them at a side angle so you don't splatter them on the window. :laughing:

Edit: if you have a shit load of them in the house drag in the shop vac. Works pretty good. Same principle as the electric swatter just hold the nozzle in their flight path.

Last edited:
OP, have you considered a spray can of WD-40 + a Bic lighter?

You couldl harm yourself or destroy your house, but that's a risk I'm willing to take :flipoff2:

You need an old flyswatter - new ones are made like shit

That flyswatter I used in the 1970s lasted until the present day. It was wire with the floppy plastic swatter on it. I'm sure it was some type of hyper-toxic Dupont plastic that caused massive damage to the environment to manufacture, but that thing saw at least 20,000 flies into the afterlife.

hahaha for real the old ones work better I'm not a scientist but they just do

OP, have you considered a spray can of WD-40 + a Bic lighter?

You couldl harm yourself or destroy your house, but that's a risk I'm willing to take :flipoff2:

WD-40 is way too slow for the purpose. I know you want me to burn my house down, but Aqua Net is the reference aerosol flamethrower.

I caused a few bad hair days for my loving sister back in the 1980s. That shit is too fun. Burns clean too, makes a nice combusted aroma, not quite as good as a leaded gasoline carbureted v8 running a bit rich, but almost.

I have a bunch of flies buzzing around b/c I keep my door open (better ventilation). And I haven't smashed a fly in two years. They're fast little suckers.

I don't own a flyswatter but I want to know if they're a meme. I remember swatting flies back in the 70s when flies could get in through the cracks around crappy screen doors and the like, and I remember having pretty good success with them. Are they faster or I'm just deteriorating faster than I thought? Because I can't get the little sunsabitches with a rolled up newspaper. I wonder if it's worth it using an actual flyswatter or if I'd be just as pathetic with that.

Anyone use those electric flyswatters? I know the salt fly rifle is a meme and doesn't work. I also don't want to be shooting salt all around my house.

So what do? Fly paper? yuck.:barf:

I find this as Ironic coming from you actually.

As simple as the invention is, it actually derived from wait hold on...

An epidemic.

I forget all the details but remember hearing about it ( History Channel or the sort)

Fly's cause disease and some guy realized this and viola.

The fly swatter was born.

That flyswatter I used in the 1970s lasted until the present day. It was wire with the floppy plastic swatter on it. I'm sure it was some type of hyper-toxic Dupont plastic that caused massive damage to the environment to manufacture, but that thing saw at least 20,000 flies into the afterlife.

Why start a thread asking if they work? You've used a fly swatter to eliminate at least 20,000 flies.

​​​​​​Your stupid is unmatched.

Top Back Refresh