What's new

Divorced NP205 Clatter / Chatter?

AlxJ64

Rust is Paint
Member Number
Loc
Richmond / Cville - VA
Has anyone ever had issues with gear clatter in an NP205 after about 15 miles or so of driving? I am chasing a noise and can't seem to pinpoint it. The NP205 in the truck was a well worn unit when it went in for rebuild so wondering if something internal is just worn out and after the fluid gets a little warm and a little displaced, if its making noise and not the transmission. - More details below for anyone who wants the in depth story and doesn't follow my thread in the other builds section.

20230922_163519 (1).jpg

20220711_181423.jpg

I've been chasing a drivetrain noise in this truck for a while.
Its on the 3rd Allison 5 speed; the first one died in 250 miles because it was used and the converter I installed was sent with it and turns out it was trashed.
The next one was a donor out of an '01 Duramax that I swapped the SAE3 bell housing on to mate with the ISB170 Cummins.

That transmission did okay but seemed really noisy when it got warm. I figured it was a high mileage issue or something else. It was a $300 Allison to get me on the road until I had something built.

Last summer I had Grendel source and build me a really nice Allison 5 speed. I installed it last fall and was only able to put about 100 miles on the truck, in short trips at the time and this past year has just been other things in life, and on the truck so it sat. I just recently started driving it longer distances and the same exact noise is now apparent in this setup. Which makes me wonder if it is something else and not the transmission. Also, it shifts great, doesn't slip, doesn't shudder or do anything strange, its just the noise. The temps get up around 150 after cruising 75 mph on the interstate. The T-case is running cool though and I've only seen it like 110 one time in the testing.

So, different transmission with a known dyno test with fresh converter, cooling hoses and cooler, etc. all new. I changed the engine mounts, flattened the driveline angle, changed the transmission mount, sound deadened the front floors and transmission tunnel, but yet still the same noise is occurring and still at the same audible level and ONLY after the whole thing gets up to a warm temp or has been driven for a distance. Its nice and quiet for the first few miles.

This lends me to the question if its something else now; or if its the tune on the TCM. A few questions in an Allison FB group and they all say that its something else in the driveline of the truck.

Experiences with noisy 205s?

i built a 1st gen dodge couple years back with a 12v Eaton 6spd and divorced 205. it def picked up some chatter vs. the nv4500/205 it came to me with. but not enough to be upsetting. i set this truck up so front and rear shafts are equal length and the mid shaft is about 14" long.

Maybe the driveline angle between the trans and tcase? Any metal in the 205 gear oil?

It would be curious to start truck and warm up the engine and transmission by stalling it without moving the vehicle. Then hit the road and see if it still takes time for the chatter to start.
If it chatters immediately > trans? Tune?
Still takes time for the 205 to heat up > 205.

My divorced NP205 is just noisy. My married NP205 is just noisy.

What gear lube are you running in it?

My divorced NP205 is just noisy. My married NP205 is just noisy.

What gear lube are you running in it?

This is like really loud chattery though, not like a whirring or gear mesh sound, more of a "clacking".

Just 90 weight. Its going to get an oil change this evening and some more test runs.

My 205 is pretty noisy. It's a metal box full of gears and bearings that were pretty loose when new.

I would try to pinpoint where the noise is based on its speed. Does it change when you hold the engine speed steady and manually shift? Does the noise change from hi to lo range?

Throw some lucas in the 205 and see if that changes anything.

If it does well then you know.

Sounds like when the oil gets warm, the noise starts. A thicker oil with more cushion should help.
I remember reading if the center idler isn’t shimmed correctly, it can be noisy. Temp expanding the case, opening up tolerances.

I had an old 4Runner with the gear driven transfer case that made the most annoying clatter, but only when hot and under engine braking. People a block away would turn their head to see what was coming. Ended up being a u-joint. It was still nice and tight, but there was a little bit of fretting.

AlxJ64 what do you use for mid shaft between trans and t-case?

Is this chatter related to tire speed or engine speed?

if wheel speed related, a dampener on mid shaft or rear drive shaft may be the solution? Sorta act as a flywheel to keep things rotating steady, rather than ever so slight frequency in shaft speed chattering gears back forth

Something like this (for dodge but you get an idea)

Top Back Refresh