What's new

Defender 90 vs 110

JakeJohn

Member Number
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. Had some 4x4s in highschool and college. Chevys and yodas. Thinking I wanted to get something more unique for my next vehicle.

Looking at late 80s early 90s Defenders. Wanted to see what’s more desirable the 90s or 110s. Short wheelbase seems fun for trails, but let’s be honest, I barely get out anymore. I’ll maybe go 2x a year on a good year with this new job.

I appreciate ya’lls expertise!
Jake

Hey, nice to get some traffic in the Land Rover pages - get's a bit quiet in here.

Disclaimer that I haven't owner either myself - but I know people who have had both 90s and 110s, I'll just say there isn't much space in a 90 if your planning on doing any touring or camping trips. Might be OK for one or two people for a long weekend, but if you have kids or want to go away for longer trips id be going the 110.

Depending on the year 110 also gets you the Salisbury rear axle which is a positive. Still has tiny little Rover axle shafts, but at least it gives you the option of stuffing Dana 60 guts into it if need be (albeit with some custom machining). That said if your keeping the tyres at 33" or under and sticking with the stock engine the axles are OK. Then again, if you're US based you have plenty of better axle options available to you anyway...

First question is do you fit in a Defender and how do you like the ergonomics? I did fit (I'm about 5'7") and thought I liked the ergonomics once a 15" steering wheel as fitted but I discovered after three years of ownership of a 2013 Puma 110 I was carrying an injury in the left leg/hip from the awkward clutch position/weight, and it started showing up as significant pain whenever I drove for a few hours in any car, not just the defender or a manual. So start with the ergonomics.

Which is more desirable depends on what job you want the car to do. a 90 makes a better trail car if your trails are tight, but if you have steep climbs that 93" wheelbase causes lots of weight transfer. It's a pain to get in the back and lots of 80's 90's have a bulkhead behind the front seats that don't permit much seat travel/recline. The 110 is fairly bulky but stronger in the chassis (and rear diff as has been pointed out) They also ride better due to the longer wheelbase, have better fuel range and obviously more storage.

The issue I can see with a 90's or 90's D90 or 110 is it's going to be an import, I assume from europe/UK and therefore it's going to be rusty. The closed box chassis is stiff and well designed but it rusts like crazy. Rear crossmember (well, the whole chassis aft of the rear axle, really) rusts out readily and requires replacement. The bulkheads rust like crazy. They all leak water so it's hard to prevent. We don't have rust issues in Australia, basically, and holed chassis and rusted out bulkheads are still common. My 2013 was starting to corrode the bulkhead around the windscreen "hinge" brackets by about 2 years of age.

You have to be a special sort of enthusiast owner to keep one running well. I didn't bond with my defender anything like I expected, and a couple of years after I sold it, I was able to buy an early style S1 Discovery 3 door 200TDi. It's mechanically the same as a 90 of the same era but is quiet, doesn't leak, has A/C, is miles more practical than a 90, and is pretty much the most comfortable car I own. Yes it takes constant maintenance, but at least I really enjoy driving it, whereas the D110 was a chore.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any land rover as a trail car, they're too weak and expensive to upgrade, but with the prices they now fetch, if you have the budget most problems can be worked around without overcapitalising on the car. At least the 80's and early 90's cars still had the Sailsbury, oil bath wheel bearings, deep drive flanges etc so they're better to maintain than the later cars. Whether you can find one that isn't a rusty basket case though is a different matter.

I just read back what I wrote and I didn't intend it to sound super negative, but on a Land Rover page you'll rarely get impartial advice because people are generally already enthusiasts. LR's are certainly unique and quirky and if you get that and like it thats cool. I fully appreciate the appeal of LR's and had a couple of goes at it - I bought a 1991 Range Rover which almost bankrupted me, and the 2013 defender which is didn't bond with before I reached LR Nirvana with the Discovery, a car I'd loved (specifically, in white 3 door form) since I drove one in 1991 when I was 16. So I'm willing to put up with all the quirks of LR ownership to own the Discovery. I'm gradually refreshing it and bringing it back to stock, which is a LOT of work. at 400,000km (250K miles) everything needs some sort of fettling or adjustment, or replacement, even though it had been very well looked after.

I'd still say though, make sure you drive one and make sure it really is for you, otherwise you're going to hate every time you have to mail order a part from the UK or find the part you need is discontinued or whatever.

I have a 83 110 pickup, 200tdi, bone stock and it will easily handle most of the moderate trails in AZ. They are capable, easy to work on and if you understand your buying a tractor you’ll be fine.

I grew up with my Dad having a 109 IIA (2dr). Get the 4dr if you plan to take people in the back. Wouldn't bother with a 90.

If I wanted that short/nimble/light trifecta would be a wrangler or a tracker.

Thanks a lot for all the info. Regarding the cabin room, I’m about 5’7” on a good day so I’m guessing it’ll be fine. I haven’t driven one yet, gonna see if I can find one to test out before really committing.

Looks like I’ll be looking at a 4 door based on all the Recs. Just a matter of finding a non-rust bucket.

Thanks a lot for all the info. Regarding the cabin room, I’m about 5’7” on a good day so I’m guessing it’ll be fine. I haven’t driven one yet, gonna see if I can find one to test out before really committing.

Looks like I’ll be looking at a 4 door based on all the Recs. Just a matter of finding a non-rust bucket.
For rust keep in mind the outer panels are aluminium and firewall/bulkhead is steel. So the corrosion is mostly going to be where they meet.

Galvanic corrosion from different metals in contact is a real PITA. Galvanising the steel parts gives you a sacrificial coating to slow the onset. But they didn't do that at the factory!

Also, choose the market you get the car out of carefully. If you want a LHD car that has minimal rust, consider finding a car from Spain or Italy or the South of Francewhere the Mediterranean climate is kinder on the car. If you're happy to add some extra quirk with a RHD car then consider getting one from Australia or Hong Kong (although HK does have a very humid coastal environment) for the same reasons rather than the UK or Japan. There is a common misconception that Japanese roads aren't salted but this isn't true at all - in mountainous areas they do salt and rust is a big issue.

Everyone is different but I don't like either. Unless someone spent a lot of money before you it either needs a frame or a bulkhead.

The value is so high you won't want to do anything with it.

I'd be looking at a Discover or P38 as it fills the void in-between and they are way cheaper. Big enough to be comfy, small enough to still wheel.

You need to be in the tdi era to roll down the highway for any length of time over 55mph. 1989 and up unless there has been a swap. Even with the pump turned up, mountains will have you dropping a gear with heavy 35" tires.

You will drag the tail of a 110 a lot. If you wheel it, the rear 1/4s will quickly show it.

And yes, a 90 is small , especially with a forward facing rear seat and the rear bulkhead still intact. I am 5' 9.5", and it is a glove fit both front to back and side to side with a defender spec'd Tuffy center console. Get a tuffy console for a vintage bronco, fits perfect but it is 2" narrower than what they spec for a defender. A 110 has the same size cockpit. RHD seems more cramped in the footwell area to me, but after years it is my preference.

Bring a Trailer occasionally has a rhd 90 with something not so serious wrong with it go under $20k.

Last edited:
90 for "lifestyle" points ... 110 for actually going places and getting things done.

The red one is The Boss' vehicle.

Yes, the cardboard on the floor is mandatory...:lmao:

2017_09_23_Garage 110 & 90.jpg

Top Back Refresh