What's new

Defender 110 crawler/camper

You've over thinking it.
Plenty of OEMs do it like that, it's totally fine.

I would be a lot more concerned with having a good shroud and fan setup.

The flow should be slow enough that there's no change regardless of where you put the inlet/outlets.

But yes you need a shroud. Without it you'll simply recirculate air when you need the fan.

Yeah, I’m a little disappointed in the fan setup. I actually ordered it without and was going to design a shroud and run one of the SPAL PWM fans but it showed up configured this way. It’ll get polished up for sure.

I did talk to Ron Davis about it for a bit the other day. He said flow through the core wouldn’t be an issue, but that the loss of head pressure by moving the port up may cause issues with the water pump since they don’t suck very well.

I’m just going to make it fit and then address any problems that may arise from there.

More progress today. Got the lower steering column built and the truck actually steers now. Still need to sandwich the frame with the inner plate so the mount is plenty beefy, but that’s simple.

IMG_7452.jpeg

Burnt in the frame end upper link mount and got both inner frame rails painted, then stuffed the motor back in hopefully for the last time. Strut towers still need to get painted but I want to add some inner bracing on them first, and should be able to work around the motor to get all of that done.

IMG_7456.jpeg

Still lots of cleanup to do on the frame from all the factory stuff that got cut off but it’s getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpeg
    IMG_7453.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Can you leave the inlet at that height but squash the tube oval and sink it into the tank further. Cut right it should make it flush with the outside edge of the tank.

Total tangent but I look at it every time I walk by the truck and surely someone has a good idea.

With the ladders I’m running, the euro style tail lights have to go away and I’ll convert to the North American style, which also looks cooler as a bonus.

There’s a hole in the body where the upper tail light was, and I want to repurpose it for something clever but I haven’t figured out what. My first thought was a compressed air fitting but I’m not completely sold on it.

Any thoughts?

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7466.jpeg

LED back up light?

You can never have enough light backing up.

Bottle opener? Though the ladder may make it impossible to use. Hard to tell from the pic.

Been buried but here’s a stupid little side project. I had a set of NAS 110 tail lights (they only made 500 of those trucks) on the shelf and figured it might be a slightly more unique look to run them instead of the usual 95mm round lights. Factory tail light guards are impossible to find these days, so drew a set up and they came out pretty sharp.

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7561.jpeg

Total tangent but I look at it every time I walk by the truck and surely someone has a good idea.

With the ladders I’m running, the euro style tail lights have to go away and I’ll convert to the North American style, which also looks cooler as a bonus.

There’s a hole in the body where the upper tail light was, and I want to repurpose it for something clever but I haven’t figured out what. My first thought was a compressed air fitting but I’m not completely sold on it.

Any thoughts?
Power socket. Run lights, compressors etc. I also charge my vehicles with a socket on a constant 13.6v power supply.

Top Back Refresh