What's new

Dead Pool - 2021

Frankie De La Cruz, a MLB pitcher & played for international teams, died of a heart attack at 37-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_de_la_Cruz

Eulogio "Frankie" De La Cruz Martínez (Spanish pronunciation: [ewˈloxjo ˈfɾaŋki ðe la ˈkɾuz maɾˈtines];)[SUP][1][/SUP] (March 12, 1984 – March 14, 2021) was a Dominican baseball pitcher who played four seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB), as well as one season each in Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) and the Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL). He played for the Detroit Tigers, Florida Marlins, San Diego Padres, Milwaukee Brewers, Tokyo Yakult Swallows, and Uni-President 7-Eleven Lions from 2007 to 2012. He went on to play baseball in Italy and Mexico, as well as several winter leagues.

Texas Roadhouse founder (1993) Kent Taylor died by suicide. He was bothered by covid & tinnitus. He was 65-

He probably had tinnitus from the obnoxiously loud music they play in their restaurants.

I just found out but she passed on Feb 17th...
​​​​​​
Martha Stewart; actress, 'In a lonely place' & 40's & 50's classics films died at 98-

I just found out but she passed on Feb 17th...
​​​​​​
Martha Stewart; actress, 'In a lonely place' & 40's & 50's classics films died at 98-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Stewart_(actress)

Martha Ruth Stewart Shelley (née Haworth; October 7, 1922 – February 17, 2021), better known as Martha Stewart, was an American actress. She was noted for playing Mildred Atkinson in In a Lonely Place (1950) alongside Humphrey Bogart.

Early life[edit]

Stewart was born in Bardwell, Kentucky, on October 7, 1922. Her family relocated to Brooklyn during her childhood. She attended New Utrecht High School, graduating in 1939.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] She first worked in show business singing on NBC radio with Glenn Miller, Harry James, and Claude Thornhill.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] She was recruited by a Hollywood talent scout after an appearance at the Stork Club in Manhattan.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
Career[edit]

Stewart made her film debut in Doll Face (1945), in which she acted alongside Vivian Blaine and sang a duet with Perry Como.[SUP][1][/SUP] She then featured in Johnny Comes Flying Home (1946) opposite Richard Crane, then in I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now (1947) with June Haver. The following year, she starred with Donald O'Connor in Are You with It?. She also appeared on Broadway in the musical Park Avenue from 1946 to 1947.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]

Stewart performed one of her best-known roles as murder victim Mildred Atkinson in the classic In a Lonely Place (1950). The film is regarded as one of Humphrey Bogart's finest performances.[SUP][2][/SUP] That same year, she featured in Convicted with Glenn Ford and Broderick Crawford. She went on to star in Aaron Slick from Punkin Crick (1952) alongside Alan Young and Dinah Shore.[SUP][1][/SUP] She appeared on television as the co-host of Those Two from 1952 to 1953,[SUP][4][/SUP] and in one episode of The Red Skelton Show in 1954.[SUP][5][/SUP] Nearly a decade would elapse before she featured in the episode "A Nice Touch" of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.[SUP][6][/SUP] Stewart acted for the final time in Surf Party (1964), after which she retired.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
Personal life[edit]

Stewart was married to singer-comedian Joe E. Lewis for two years;[SUP][8][/SUP] the marriage ended in divorce in 1948. Her second marriage was to actor-comedian George O'Hanlon from 1949 to 1952. She married her third and final husband David Shelley in 1955; they remained married until his death in 1982.[SUP][2][/SUP] The couple had three children, one of whom, singer David Shelley, predeceased her in 2015.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Stewart was the subject of an erroneous obituary in 2012, published by the website of Variety magazine,[SUP][9][/SUP] when she was actually still living in California under the name Martha Shelley.[SUP][10][/SUP] Her actual death occurred on February 17, 2021, at the age of 98.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Orton

Randal Barry Orton (May 28, 1958 – March 19, 2021) was an American actor and professional wrestler. He was the son of professional wrestler Bob Orton, brother of professional wrestler Bob Orton Jr., and uncle of professional wrestler Randy Orton.[SUP][2][/SUP]

Early life[edit]

Orton was born in Amarillo, Texas, the son of professional wrestler Bob Orton and his wife Rita. He moved to Kansas City, Missouri with his parents three days after being born.
Career[edit]

Orton made his professional wrestling debut in 1976. During his career in wrestling he competed in the WWF as Barry O (1985–1988, 1990-1991), ICW, WOW, the NWA, the IWF and Stampede Wrestling (where, while appearing as the masked Zodiac, he managed Jason the Terrible) he was mainly used as an enhancement talent. In 1984 Barry wrestled for around three months under a mask as the Assassin #3 with Jody Hamilton. Barry was a replacement for Hercules Hernandez who had recently been unmasked by Jimmy Valiant.

His career was affected in 1986 when he went to jail for killing someone while driving under the influence (DUI). In 1987, Orton went to Stampede Wrestling in Calgary as the masked Zodiac. Then in 1988 he worked for New Japan Pro Wrestling as Barry Gasper teaming Bob Orton as Billy Gasper. He returned to WWF in 1990 and also worked for Universal Wrestling Federation (Herb Abrams), Herb Abrams's promotion for a couple of appearances.

Orton retired from wrestling in 1991. In the 1990s, Orton made a transition from wrestling into movies, starring in minor roles. In 1992, Barry appeared on the talk show, Donahue, along with Superstar Billy Graham, Bruno Sammartino and others to voice their concern about sexual harassment in the wrestling industry. Vince McMahon was also on the show to defend himself and the company. Because of his vocal opinions against the WWF and the sexual harassment that is involved, he became blacklisted. Some were instructed not to talk to him, while many others were afraid to. Barry started going by a different name, Barrymore Barlow. Although he was not employed by the WWF at the time, he was a key figure in the lawsuit that was filed against the company. According to Barry, in 1978 on a trip between shows while employed by a faction of NWA, Barry was traveling with a booker for the company, Terry Garvin. While on the drive, Garvin repeatedly asked to perform oral sex on him, offers that were repeatedly refused. At the time Barry didn't speak up about the incident and didn't give it more thought. However, when stories later broke that Terry Garvin (who went onto work for the WWF front office) was involved in sexually harassing young ring boys working for the WWF, Barry came forward with his own story to back up the claims made against Garvin. Barry also brought up hearing from another ring boy while he was still employed by the WWF. According to Barry, the boy claimed that Garvin was doing things to make the boy uncomfortable.

Orton came out of retirement in 2011 for one night for Pro Wrestling Guerilla participating in a battle royal which was won by Roddy Piper.
Personal life and death[edit]

Orton has been married four times, with all the marriages ending in divorce. He has four children, two daughters from his third marriage (who were later adopted by his ex-wife's new husband), and another two daughters from previous relationships.

On March 19, 2021, Orton died in Kansas City, Missouri at the age of 62.[SUP][3][/SUP]

George Segal whose career spanned over 6 decades in films & TV, died from surgery complications. He was 87-

George Segal whose career spanned over 6 decades in films & TV, died from surgery complications. He was 87-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Segal

George Segal (February 13, 1934 – March 23, 2021) was an American actor and musician. He became popular in the 1960s and 1970s for playing both dramatic and comedic roles. Some of his most acclaimed roles are in films such as Ship of Fools (1965), King Rat (1965), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967), Where's Poppa? (1970), The Hot Rock (1972), Blume in Love (1973), A Touch of Class (1973), California Split (1974), For the Boys (1991), and Flirting with Disaster (1996). He was one of the first American film actors to rise to leading man status with an unchanged Jewish surname,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] thus helping to pave the way for artists such as Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand.

He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and won two Golden Globe Awards, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for his performance in A Touch of Class.

On television, he is best known for his roles as Jack Gallo on Just Shoot Me! (1997–2003) and as Albert "Pops" Solomon on The Goldbergs (2013–2021).

Segal was also an accomplished banjo player. He released three albums and performed with the instrument in several of his acting roles and on late-night television.

I could have sworn he was in more movies than that, it seemed like he was in most of them in the day

Last edited:
Houston Tumlin who played Ricky Bobby's son Walker Bobby in the film Talladega Nights has committed suicide. He was 28-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Walter

Jessica Walter (January 31, 1941 – March 24, 2021) was an American actress, known for appearing in the films Play Misty for Me (1971), Grand Prix and The Group (both 1966), her role as Lucille Bluth on the sitcom Arrested Development, and providing the voice of Malory Archer on the FX animated series Archer. Walter studied acting at the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre in New York City.

Walter was a series regular for the first half of season one of 90210, provided the voice of Fran Sinclair on the series Dinosaurs, and starred as the title character of the series Amy Prentiss, for which she won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/houston-tumlin-child-actor-talladega-nights-dies-28-n1261980

Houston Tumlin, child actor in 'Talladega Nights,' dies at 28

The military veteran was at home with his girlfriend in Alabama when he died by suicide on Tuesday.

March 24, 2021, 3:24 PM MDT
By David K. Li and Diana Dasrath
Former child actor Houston Tumlin, who played the son of Will Ferrell's character in "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby," has died by suicide, authorities said Wednesday.

The 28-year-old died in his Pelham, Alabama, home on Tuesday afternoon, Shelby County Coroner Lina Evans told NBC News.

Tumlin's girlfriend was at home at the time and discovered his body, according to the coroner.

It did not appear the former actor left a note behind. He had served in the armed forces and suffered from PTSD and depression, Evans said.

"Talladega Nights," released in 2006, was Tumlin's only acting credit. He played Walker Bobby, the foul-mouthed 10-year-old son of Ferrell's lead character, Ricky Bobb

NY Yankees Bobby Brown, 4 time World Series Champion died at 96. He also presided over the American League & became a cardiologist-

NY Yankees Bobby Brown, 4 time World Series Champion died at 96. He also presided over the American League & became a cardiologist-

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/sports/bobby-brown-yankees-dead.html

Bobby Brown, Yankee Infielder Turned Cardiologist, Is Dead at 96

He played in four World Series championships before opening a medical practice, then returned to baseball once more as the American League president.Bobby Brown at Yankee Stadium in 1950. He played on four World Series championship teams with the Yankees, but a career in medicine beckoned.Credit...Associated Press
By Richard Goldstein

March 25, 2021Updated 6:24 p.m. ETBobby Brown, the Yankee infielder who played on four World Series championship teams while pursuing a career in medicine, quit baseball at age 29 to open a cardiology practice and later served as president of the American League, died on Thursday at his home in Fort Worth. He was 96.

The death was confirmed by his daughter Kaydee Bailey.

Brown usually missed spring training because of his studies, and he was often platooned by Manager Casey Stengel, but he proved a crucial figure at the plate for the Yankees by the time October arrived. He had a .439 batting average, with 18 hits including five doubles and three triples, while appearing in the World Series every year but one from 1947 though 1951.

Brown received a medical degree from Tulane University in 1950 and left the Yankees in the summer of 1952 for medical service in the Army during the Korean War.

“My unit landed at Incheon, Korea, on Oct. 1, 1952, the first day of the World Series,” he told Baseball Digest in 2003. “It was the worst day of my life. I’m trudging up a quay for a quarter of a mile with everything I owned on my back going into Korea, and my team is playing in the World Series. My wife had our first baby when I was flying over the Pacific.”

Brown became a battalion surgeon near the front lines and later served at an Army hospital in Tokyo.
He was discharged in April 1954, and he played occasionally for the Yankees that spring. He retired in July after eight seasons with a career batting average of .279.

Brown completed his cardiology training in 1958 and opened a practice in Fort Worth. Except for a few months’ break in 1974, when he was the interim president of the Texas Rangers, he remained in medical practice until 1984, when he became the American League president — a post that mainly involved disciplining players for their run-ins with the umpires he supervised.

25Brown2-articleLarge.jpg

25Brown2-articleLarge.jpg
Brown became a fixture at the Yankees’ Old-Timers’ Day. He is seen here in 1967, far right, with his fellow Yankee alumni, from left, Charlie Keller, Tommy Henrich, Frankie Crosetti and Joe DiMaggio.Credit...Ernie Sisto/The New York Times
Robert William Brown was born on Oct. 25, 1924, in Seattle, a son of William and Myrtle (Berg) Brown. His father, who had played semipro baseball, encouraged Bobby to play ball. He moved with his family to the San Francisco area as a teenager and played sandlot baseball there with Jerry Coleman and Charlie Silvera, who would become his teammates on the Yankees.

Brown entered the Navy in 1943 and played for Stanford, U.C.L.A. and Tulane while beginning his medical education in a World War II officer training program.

He signed with the Yankee organization in 1946 for a bonus estimated at $50,000 or more. He played shortstop for the Yankees’ Newark Bears farm team that year, hitting .341, and made his major league debut near the season’s end.

The big money and his blond hair brought him the nickname Golden Boy.

Joe Page, the Yankees’ star reliever, called him “Quack.”

But Brown dispelled any doubts his teammates might have had. A left-handed line-drive hitter, he batted .300 in both 1947 and ’48, mostly pinch-hitting and filling in for some games behind Billy Johnson, the third baseman, and Phil Rizzuto, the shortstop, both right-handed batters.

Brown went 3 for 3 with a walk as a pinch-hitter in the 1947 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers, and his double tied Game 7 in the fourth inning, when the Yankees took the lead for good. In the 1949 Series against the Dodgers, the first of five straight championships for the Yankees, Brown went 6 for 12. In the 1950 Series, he doubled in the fourth inning of the opener against the Phillies in Philadelphia and scored the game’s only run.

But a career in medicine beckoned. The path was a long one; he didn’t complete his cardiology training until he had been out of a Yankees uniform for four years.

Brown later succeeded Lee MacPhail, a former Yankees executive, as the American League president.

In a 1983 interview with George Vecsey of The New York Times, Brown spoke about the challenges he faced as a physician and his decision to rejoin the baseball world full time in the American League post.
Man Says He Lived in Philadelphia’s Veterans Stadium for Years

Continue reading the main story
“When you’re on duty, you’re really on,” he said. “The calls can come at any hour. Making plans is an exercise in frustration. I’m 59 years old. I’ve been doing this 26 years and didn’t see myself doing it more than a few more years. You get tired.”

He continued: “I didn’t see myself doing administrative work, running a rehabilitation center or something like that. I knew I was too young to stop working, but one of the problems with being a doctor is that you’re really not trained to do anything else.”

“I really wasn’t ready to give up my practice,” he said, “but the league presidency was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

In June 1988, Brown imposed a three-game suspension and a $1,000 fine on Billy Martin, the Yankees manager and his former teammate, for throwing dirt at an umpire who had ejected him after an argument over a call.

He stepped down as league president in 1994.

merlin_185545707_84b9f4b4-42df-40f0-ba2e-3ac2156719d2-articleLarge.jpg

merlin_185545707_84b9f4b4-42df-40f0-ba2e-3ac2156719d2-articleLarge.jpg
Brown at Old-Timers’ Day in 2017. He eventually become one of the event’s more senior Yankees.Credit...Seth Wenig/Associated Press
In his later years, Brown returned to Yankee Stadium on Old-Timers’ Day and eventually become one of the event’s more senior Yankees, along with Yogi Berra, who had been his roommate on road trips. That pairing produced the oft-told (and possibly true) story that while Brown was going through his medical volumes one night, Berra told him to let him know how his book turned out.

In addition to his daughter Ms. Bailey, Mr. Brown is survived by another daughter, Beverley Dale; a son, Pete, a physician; 10 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren. His wife, Sara (French) Brown, whom he married in 1951, died in 2012.

In his book “Summer of ’49” (1989), David Halberstam wrote of the news conference announcing Brown’s signing: “Larry MacPhail, one of the Yankee owners, had spoken so extravagantly about his talents — what a fine young man he was and what a brilliant young doctor he was going to become — that Will Wedge of The Sun finally asked, ‘Larry, are you signing him as a player or a doctor?’”

Brown talked about his duel quests to excel at major league baseball and medicine in an interview with The Sporting News in June 1949.

“Just as long as baseball wants me, I will want baseball,” he said. “Inevitably, there will be a day when I will have to say to myself, ‘The time has come. Hang up your spikes and your uniform, put away the bats, and get down to working out the oath of Hippocrates.’”

When he was about to become the American League president, Brown was asked by The Times if he ever wondered what kind of a player he would have been if he had pursued baseball full time.

He replied, “I ask it daily.”

Man gave up baseball to be a DR :usa::usa:

Richard Gilliland, an actor who played on various shows/sitcoms + married to Jean Smart, died at 71-

Henry Darrow from Puerto Rico, a star in The High Chaparral show, has died at 87-

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/kim-tyler-please-dont-eat-the-daisies-child-star-dead-at-66

DEPARTED
Published 1 day agoKim Tyler, ‘Please Don’t Eat the Daisies’ child star, dead at 66

The '60s child actor had a recurring role in 'The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet'

By Greg Evans
Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for March 24

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what's clicking today in entertainment.

Kim Tyler, a child actor of the 1960s best known for playing the eldest son in the 1965-67 NBC family sitcom 'Please Don’t Eat the Daisies," died of cancer on Feb. 10 at his Hollywood Heights home. He was 66.

Tyler’s death was announced this week by his family.

Although his first TV credit was in a 1956 episode of "The 20th Century Fox Hour," Tyler was most prolific through the ’60s, with guest appearances on sitcoms including "Hazel," "The Addams Family," "My Favorite Martian," "My Three Sons" and, in a recurring role, "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet."

He played a pal of Ron Howard’s Opie in a 1962 episode of "The Andy Griffith Show."

‘HOME & FAMILY’ TO END WITH SEASON 9 ON HALLMARK CHANNEL
GettyImages-463635426.jpg

Kim Tyler appeared in numerous sitcoms during the 1960s including 'The Addams Family'. (Photo by Walt Disney Television via Getty Images)

In 1965, Tyler, then 11, was cast as a series regular in the TV adaptation of Jean Kerr’s 1957 novel "Please Don’t Eat the Daisies," playing Kyle Nash, the eldest brother to twins Trevor and Tracey (Jeff and Joe Fithian) and middle child Joel (Brian Nash). The parents were played by Mark Miller and Patricia Crowley, in roles originated by David Niven and Doris Day in the 1960 film version.

Tyler left acting after the series’ two-season run.

He is survived by his wife of 42 years Michelle.

Legendary Texas author/poet Larry McMutry who wrote Lonesome Dove & cowrote the screenplay Brokeback Mountain died at 84-

Top Back Refresh