What's new

Day in life of helicopter instructor

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
So I’m giving my student a break while I’m flying back to the airport. I’m explaining what I want him to do when we get back there. We our going to do a “governor on, autorotation”. Instead of turning the governor off and rolling the throttle off and lowering collective, we are simply going to lower collective till the rotor starts to over speed. He looks at me with a blank stare.

So I lower the collective til the rotor starts over speeding. I say “you see the engine rpms are at 100% and the rotor is at 105%?” I continue “we are in autorotation right now”. He still looks dumbfounded. So I force the throttle to idle over riding the governor and I say “you see the engine is at idle and nothing has changed”? He says “I guess so”

Of course, while I’m explaining this we are losing altitude at 1500 feet per minute. I started at about 700 and we are at about 300 when I release my grip on the throttle so the governor can catch the engine back up. I start to pull collective to climb again and the rotor starts slowing down. WTF!

I lower the collective again at twist the throttle on to help the governor. The F*cking engine is not coming up. There’s something wrong with the linkage and I’m trying to free it up. I have the realization that I’m going to be on the ground in a few seconds. Of course, I’m not facing into the wind like a F*cking idiot. I lean the sucker hard right flare just as we touch down on a plowed up field.

After sitting there for a few seconds taking it all in, I realize the linkage is fine. The engine is not running. We walk around the helicopter and it appears to be fine. I start it up and it idles a little rough. I rev it to flight speed and chop the throttle. The engine dies. I start it and hover it back to the airport that involves crossing a highway.

It turned out the idle mixture was too rich and now it runs way better. On one hand, I saved him a lot of money that day. On the other hand, I was the principal reason it was such a close call. I have a rule I pound into students heads. “Don’t practice an auto where you can’t finish one if things don’t go right.” I was over an open field, so technically I followed my rule, but I had no plan to finish that auto into the wind. (A big no no)

I’ll remember that ride for a long time.

We had a student hold his thumb on the idle stop on a 206. The instructor rolled it to idle for a practice auto, and she unknowingly shut the engine down.

They safely landed the full down, cranked it back up and came home. Since they didn’t do the 5 minute cool down, the engine had coking problems and ended up needing an overhaul. Good times.

I wish there was still a Rotary Wing school in Memphis. A helo license is my total bucket list.

I wanted to fly helicopters when I was a kid...took ground school and lessons right after HS, but didnt have the funds to complete..
My first lesson was in a Bell 47, ended up flying it back to the airport after going out on the familiarization run, still one of the coolest things I've done. Maybe when I retire....:homer:

A Robinson ? :lmao:

No, I don’t think I’m legal to instruct in a Robinson. There are stupid FAA rules about them. I could get legal pretty easy, but I have no desire.

oh fawk :laughing:

you dont explain auto rotation or stuff like that in a classroom before hand?

I do and we had done a number of normal autorotations. The “governor on auto” is an invention of mine to make it easier/safer for a student to practice. One of the big screw ups students will do is pull collective at the bottom without enough throttle first. The result usually doesn’t kill anyone, but it sure can get expensive.

To answer your question, I did not go over this auto.

I’m glad you fly helicopters better than you spell :flipoff2:

My piloting skills were good that day, my judgment was not. Both are required. On that note, my student thinks I’m a god now and I think I’m a dumb shit.

No, I don’t think I’m legal to instruct in a Robinson. There are stupid FAA rules about them. I could get legal pretty easy, but I have no desire.

I do and we had done a number of normal autorotations. The “governor on auto” is an invention of mine to make it easier/safer for a student to practice. One of the big screw ups students will do is pull collective at the bottom without enough throttle first. The result usually doesn’t kill anyone, but it sure can get expensive.

To answer your question, I did not go over this auto.

My piloting skills were good that day, my judgment was not. Both are required. On that note, my student thinks I’m a god now and I think I’m a dumb shit.
So what were you flying?

You should keep this thread around and just update it with stories.
I’m sure I’ve already told my Russian story on here. Closest I’ve been to death in a chopper. This auto wasn’t really a likly death sentence. If I had completed the auto down wind, we probably would have walked away,,,,,,,,,from a wreck.

Top Back Refresh