What's new

Damn faggy EV F150 is actually impressive

Everyone is different, but PGE has an electric car rate plan, it is $0.084 kWH for off peak charging.
For those that don't know, the cars all have a timer built into them, you plug in the car in and then it won't start charging until midnight.
I always seem people talk about how much they think it costs to charge an electric car and then share via social media or texts, I wonder how many are just flat out wrong.
I live in the San Francisco Bay area, I'm sure I have to be paying the most.

Thats a pretty good rate. The problem is that you pay out the asshole during the day with the variable rate plans. You'd probably still be better off with a fixed plan. My sil saved like $400/mo going from variable to fixed. They probably use a lot more air conditioning than you though, being in Chico.

New Ford CCLB is 48 gal standard
New Ram CCLB has a 50 gal optional

I'm not interested in buying a truck that requires me to haul around a generator to recharge it. I know nothing about generators. Do they even sell 240v generators for a reasonable price? From what I understand, recharging a car on 110v would take 3 days.

My opinion is that the battery technology isn't ready for what the manufacturers are doing, but nobody wants to be last, so they are all building cars/trucks with less than ideal range.

The lightning has a range of 230-320 miles depending on which battery pack you buy. I'm pretty sure a standard gas F150 has a range of 500+ miles. Sounds to me like the battery needs to have twice the power to be equal.

The 2020 I had for a work truck was good for like mid 300s per tank.

Personally I'm trying to figure out how to get these for plant trucks. It makes total sense considering they never go more than 100 miles in a day, we pay industrial rates for power, and they have 12+hrs a day where they are sitting unused.

I'm not interested in buying a truck that requires me to haul around a generator to recharge it. I know nothing about generators. Do they even sell 240v generators for a reasonable price? From what I understand, recharging a car on 110v would take 3 days.

My opinion is that the battery technology isn't ready for what the manufacturers are doing, but nobody wants to be last, so they are all building cars/trucks with less than ideal range.

The lightning has a range of 230-320 miles depending on which battery pack you buy. I'm pretty sure a standard gas F150 has a range of 500+ miles. Sounds to me like the battery needs to have twice the power to be equal.

Thats actually an interesting idea.

How well would a run of the mill 10kw genny charge this truck while driving? Or is that even possible?

I had a 10kw efi generac that that was $1000 new at Costco. It would burn about 8 gallons in 12 hours. I'd be curious how long it would extend your range if it was strapped in the back charging while you drive and stop for lunch.

Of course, I'm sure they have a safety feature that doesn't allow charging while driving. :homer:

That's my problem with EV trucks (anything) right now.

My 2019 F150 XLT with the 2.7 ecoboost when from Knott's Berry Farm to my house in N. Las Vegas (284 miles) and it used 1/2 a tank. This was in March when running the A/C wasn't necessary running 75-80mph the entire way with 5 of us and luggage.

Try that right now in the middle of summer with an EV. One of the radio stations out here did the LA to Vegas drive a few weekends ago and the car (Tesla) went into conserve mode up the Baker pass. What did that mean, no A/C and they actually stated trying to get around the trucks wasn't idea by any stretch, it was down right scary according to the DJs.

I'm not going to buy an EV any time soon. If I was just going around town, that's one thing. Taking a trip, especially out here in the summer, it's just not worth it. I can keep my truck around 75mph and go 500 highway miles on my 26 gallon tank.

These things are why the chevy volt made sense with its hybrid setup vs full ev's. Everyone likes to say EV are better 90% of the time so why bother lugging a engine around if you dont need it except for occasional use but they don't get that many people need a range extender more than occasionally and your other choice is what? buy a second ICE car that can make that trip to see the family? or that long drive to the hospital that you didn't plan in middle of night but oh shoot the battery isn't fully charged yet... if only you could jump in the car and it charge while you drive.....

I mean sure alot of families have a second car but if your trying to tell us how horrible ICE cars\trucks are then why should we have to buy 1 of each just to live like normal people in the past 80 years have? You put gas in the car and it drives till its out and you can "charge" it back up in few minutes and be on your way.

Not trying to be completely negative here as I do see the benefits that can come from them and I personally think they are missing the mark by trying to sell these to the public at large. Some people will buy them and be happy with the range\cost etc but where they make the most sense to me is in the commercial market where a vehicle has a known set route and you can size the battery accordingly in advance. Postal carriers, dock tugs, box trucks in cities etc. The other benefit to most of those is that they have a set "home" space that you could easily install a charger at for the times between use and they don't exactly need emergency use or an unplanned long distance trip like a private vehicle can sometimes be needed for.

Thats actually an interesting idea.

How well would a run of the mill 10kw genny charge this truck while driving? Or is that even possible?

I had a 10kw efi generac that that was $1000 new at Costco. It would burn about 8 gallons in 12 hours. I'd be curious how long it would extend your range if it was strapped in the back charging while you drive and stop for lunch.

Of course, I'm sure they have a safety feature that doesn't allow charging while driving. :homer:

Well there is no such thing as free energy. You have the energy that is stored in that 8gal fuel tank. A large portion will be lost to make heat and noise for the generator, but that happens in Any ICE. Now you also have to lose some in the electric motor and batteries, but that might offset where some of your drivetrain losses are in a normal truck

It is just some sort of efficiency calculation to determine your MPG. I would be surprised to learn that it was drastically different from the same truck equipped with a gasoline engine, a similar amount of work is being performed

Well TFL did a towing video with an empty 6,000lb toy hauler.
The lightning predicted 160 mi range but only managed something like 89 miles on 91% battery used. Also cost them $27 to get 66% battery recharge. So looks like the whole electric trucks can tow just as well as gas/diesel is still few years out.

The lightning predicted 160 mi range but only managed something like 89 miles on 91% battery used. Also cost them $27 to get 66% battery recharge. So looks like the whole electric trucks can tow just as well as gas/diesel is still few years out.
Probably 10 years+

Well there is no such thing as free energy. You have the energy that is stored in that 8gal fuel tank. A large portion will be lost to make heat and noise for the generator, but that happens in Any ICE. Now you also have to lose some in the electric motor and batteries, but that might offset where some of your drivetrain losses are in a normal truck

It is just some sort of efficiency calculation to determine your MPG. I would be surprised to learn that it was drastically different from the same truck equipped with a gasoline engine, a similar amount of work is being performed

I understand what you're saying. I was just curious if it would, in theory extend your range say 100 miles? 25 miles? Double?

I can't imagine the genny would make more power than its using to go down the road, but maybe. If it did, it would probably be at full load and wouldn't last the 12 hours.

The towing power is incredible, especially at altitude where the gas and diesel start to weeze. The range is going to be a big hindrance for a lot time imo.

I understand what you're saying. I was just curious if it would, in theory extend your range say 100 miles? 25 miles? Double?

If I did my math right;

eF150 use about 2.3 kWh per mile, or just over 30 kWh per hour when going 70 mph. Let’s go with 30 kWh per hour traveling at 70 mph.

A generator running at its maximum capacity, at 3,000w, or 3kw, based on 3000w continuous, 3500w peak, common size generators people have.

So, at 3 kWh from the generator your range is extended by 10%. If I read correctly a standard eF150 have a 260 miles range, that go up to about 286 miles, 26 miles gain.

If I did my math right;

eF150 use about 2.3 kWh per mile, or just over 30 kWh per hour when going 70 mph. Let’s go with 30 kWh per hour traveling at 70 mph.

A generator running at its maximum capacity, at 3,000w, or 3kw, based on 3000w continuous, 3500w peak, common size generators people have.

So, at 3 kWh from the generator your range is extended by 10%. If I read correctly a standard eF150 have a 260 miles range, that go up to about 286 miles, 26 miles gain.

If true, that’s some shit MPG :laughing:

If I did my math right;

3kw is very small. 7-10kw is pretty common. My 10kw was $1k, so pretty affordable if you can afford at $40-70k EV truck.

So if your math is right, it's about a 33% increase.

But then you leave it on when you stop for food, bathroom breaks ect. I might actually be a viable option for some. if you can even tow while driving.

Or tow a 30kw diesel generator behind you and drive forever! :laughing:

Started kinda looking into the Rivian's because I think they are kinda neat, but yeah, towing is total let down. The TFL guys did some mpg test towing a 2000lb offroad teardrop trailer vs same trailer but a gasser tacoma. I think the tacoma used 7 gals, whereas the rivian used 90% of its charge. I think they did some rough math showing that if you depleted the rivian 100% it would 180miles towing, the tacoma would 500miles or something. Keep in mind this was all on relatively flat roads around denver or wherever TFL is based out of.

Some other youtube idiots are using there rivian to tow an airstream from like wisconsin to colorado. My take from the video is that about every 150miles they had to stop and charge for 1.5hrs or so. Seems like all they ever did was stop and hang out in parking lots.

I do wonder if they derated the power output to be more in line with ICE acceleration levels if they range would increase substantially. Probably not and I think one of the current attractions of electric is its performance, even if its short term.

Electric is neat, and it makes sense in a lot of everyday situations, but it isn't the end all answer the left is looking for, its just another option.

Kevin

I do wonder if they derated the power output to be more in line with ICE acceleration levels if they range would increase substantially. Probably not and I think one of the current attractions of electric is its performance, even if its short term.
Doesn't the peak power of the motor not matter unless you demand it? IE it's going to work normally at 30% load like ICE's do? or am I looking at it wrong and from a power consumption perspective electric motors are on/off and consumption is full or nothing?

Doesn't the peak power of the motor not matter unless you demand it? IE it's going to work normally at 30% load like ICE's do? or am I looking at it wrong and from a power consumption perspective electric motors are on/off and consumption is full or nothing?

I would think so.

The only thing might be that if it's on peak power mode or whatever. It will be easier to use more power with smaller throttle increments :laughing:

Basically if 100% throttle is 100% power, 10% throttle means 10% power. If 100% throttle is 50% power, 10% throttle equals 5% power.

I'm sure the programming is much more complex than that, but that's the only way I can see how lower power levels would basically be more efficient.

Top Back Refresh