What's new

D60 low vs hi front axle and ratios - the same old topic - sorta

Time for a rear 14 bolt rear and an 05+ with REM 10" gears minimum.

I mean...

I break 14 bolt parts with a stock 5.3. Can't even imagine running a Dana 60.

I mean...

I break 14 bolt parts with a stock 5.3. Can't even imagine running a Dana 60.

just different driving styles, how ever,,,,,,,, auto and insta power of LS compared to 22r has got me worried for sure. to the point i have all ready been looking for 14 bolts.

I love having the power and throttle response of the LS. I too don’t think I drive it too hard but others say I do.

chaplinfj60 I’m trying to understand what would chip the teeth that far out on the ring gear.
me too, i will tell you this , my gear break in was done on the trail, i just installed and went to RMR in OK because i ran out of time to do a break in, i did go up and down the road some but not like your suppose to do, i think that is the cause of this and have nothing to support that besides what i said.

Well another update and I have a similar situation as chaplinfj60. I've been lazy and haven't pulled the inspection cover since I did the initial install 2 years ago. Over that time it's been to Sand Hollow a couple times, Montrose, OK, Harlan and AOAA along with lots of local wheeling. We are heading to South Dakota in a couple months and I decided I better do an inspection, so I dropped the cover this morning.

Two chipped/cracked teeth. The question becomes did I do it early on when I broke a front axle shaft in OK or did I do it recently doing some rev limiter hill climbs? Either way, it looks like I need to replace the gearset. I'm definitely disappointed to see this, but with the way I drive it, not feeling surprised or hopeless.

The good news is the teeth wear pattern looks great and the wear marks on the back of the ring gear from the load bolt look acceptable. I know the grainy pic makes the wear pattern look WAAAY worse than what it is. So, off to ordering up some new gears.

E277B66D-70C3-4CE3-AAAF-F8683C8BC7CF.jpeg

your bouncing was not bad its not like bouncing on rock with solid traction.
True. I've done worse than that but don't have video. I am cautious about wheel speed in the rocks. We've been cutting climbs along that whole ridge line and I've got it in the air more than once. But correct, it's sandy dirt so it's forgiving. But, a 43" tire catching air then dirt sends a shock wave.

True. I've done worse than that but don't have video. I am cautious about wheel speed in the rocks. We've been cutting climbs along that whole ridge line and I've got it in the air more than once. But correct, it's sandy dirt so it's forgiving. But, a 43" tire catching air then dirt sends a shock wave.
hell ya it does.

as silly as it sounds i wend down a tire size, from 42 to 40 . big reason found a killer deal. next reason its not as hard on parts. and still a great sized tired.

hell ya it does.

as silly as it sounds i wend down a tire size, from 42 to 40 . big reason found a killer deal. next reason its not as hard on parts. and still a great sized tired.
What's your wheelbase? At 114" a 40 seems a little short. I've got 42 reds and 43 SX stickies and I love the way it performs.

What I 'need' to do is keep my foot out of the throttle. :shaking: But it's so much fun. :lmao:

It crossed my mind. Problem is - I HATE being "that guy" on a run. Driving cross country to run hard trails and breaking when you knew you have a faulty part is not in my mojo.
So a new set of gears waiting in the tow rig? :flipoff2:

No I get it. Running around locally is one thing

Just reading to learn here. So no input.

Carl took me for a rip in his super jeep 20+ years ago and taught me the difference between real wheelers and just lifted trucks. Everything on that jeep was custom. Like an engineers pet project for 30 years. Loved to explain it.

Top Back Refresh