What's new

CV Joints - ALL Tech and Specs

What about the CV driveshafts from grand cherokees and JKs (and I'm sure others)? The flanges already exist for those, depending on what spline count you need etc
The substantially less than stellar reputation of those scares me away.

I know we covered in another thread that the failure is typically the boots fucking off at high angles (and then letting the grease out and killing the joint) and that's something I could check for but I have more trust that conventional form factor joint is not going to sling the boot on me. And I'd just be a little more confident with something that is proven to tolerate post-diff levels of torque.

I won't be running particularly high angles in high speed operation FWIW.

I know some larger Fords use CV joints on the front shaft but those are $$$

The substantially less than stellar reputation of those scares me away.

I know we covered in another thread that the failure is typically the boots fucking off at high angles (and then letting the grease out and killing the joint) and that's something I could check for but I have more trust that conventional form factor joint is not going to sling the boot on me. And I'd just be a little more confident with something that is proven to tolerate post-diff levels of torque.

I won't be running particularly high angles in high speed operation FWIW.

I know some larger Fords use CV joints on the front shaft but those are $$$

What if they actually are just a normal form factor, and the RPM + angle is what's killing them?

Amazon.com

71CTjkSfewL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I guess I'll find out the hard way. :laughing:

Any idea what the shaft diameter is on those jeep joints is?

Seems like most of the truck CV stuff is on the order of 1-3/8 shaft diameter.

I don't unfortunately, I junked the CV driveshaft stuff as soon as I could :lmao:. But I wish I still had some lying around so we could add the specs to this thread

Can't really dig my Toyota parts out at this time, but here's what I can provide -

CV axle inboard and outboard splines are the same between at least the MK3 Supra, several years of Tacoma IFS, mid-2000's 4Runners, and probably more.

I was, at one point, starting on a long-travel suspension on our Tacoma using MK3 axles. I had the axles apart and had drawn them up in CAD. My plan was to use the outboards as inboards as well. Cut off the threads and cut a snap ring groove. I had several four-banger driveshafts on hand that I was going to machine and weld up to make plunging bars since the Supra outers aren't plunging and the inners are the usual plunging tripod.

Top Back Refresh