What's new

CustomBatteryCables

Fuzzydog

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
BC Interior
My 02 superduty started cranking slower recently so I decided it was time to freshen up the system. Our outdoor recreation takes us to pretty remote places with no cell service, and no traffic that could help out so the truck gets what it needs to be reliable. I have a spot messenger but would hate to have the kids come all the way out just for a jump start:homer:

Batteries are 5 yrs old so time to replace anyway, and if the existing batts turn out to be ok they now get used in the camper.
So new batts - still slow cranking.

Likely suspect is the starter but notice the battery terminal on the + of pass side batt is actually cracked between the post clamp, and where the starter cable attaches. That is a problem. Couldn't find any batt terminals in town that would properly accept the 3/0 starter cable so I went on line and found these guys - custombattery cables.com

Looks to be quality build, somewhat pricey at $377 US but a Motorcraft harness at Rock auto is $335 US so in the ballpark. Shipping was same day and should be here soon. I just hope I don't get raped on border fees. They used USPS so should be ok, just gotta pay the CAD taxes.
In the meantime I also upgraded to the high torque Denso style starter.

Anyone used these guys? Did I make an expensive mistake? (Totally opening the door for someone to say "buying a Ford was your first expensive mistake" :flipoff2:)

I have been meaning to look for a source for my 99.

Thanks for being the guinea pig.:beer:

Why TF would you pay that kind of money instead of just building them yourself?:eek::eek::eek: Holy fuck.

1674059997443.png

1674060031841.png

I bought a set from them for my V10 Pooperdoodie (their Ford Lightning set fits the V10 trucks). Top notch product and excellent customer service.

I would have spent half the money to build them myself, but I would have also spent many more hours and trips to the parts store and still ended up with inferior cables. I also don't have swaging dies so that would be another expense.

Convenience.

And I would probably fuck at least one off them up and make them 2' too short.
Exactly. I'm at a stage of life where I have more money than time and energy. I could have made my own but at the end of the day I just decided " I don't want to do this" and looks like I don't have to, so I won't. :grinpimp:

My 02 superduty started cranking slower recently so I decided it was time to freshen up the system. Our outdoor recreation takes us to pretty remote places with no cell service, and no traffic that could help out so the truck gets what it needs to be reliable. I have a spot messenger but would hate to have the kids come all the way out just for a jump start:homer:

Batteries are 5 yrs old so time to replace anyway, and if the existing batts turn out to be ok they now get used in the camper.
So new batts - still slow cranking.

Likely suspect is the starter but notice the battery terminal on the + of pass side batt is actually cracked between the post clamp, and where the starter cable attaches. That is a problem. Couldn't find any batt terminals in town that would properly accept the 3/0 starter cable so I went on line and found these guys - custombattery cables.com

Looks to be quality build, somewhat pricey at $377 US but a Motorcraft harness at Rock auto is $335 US so in the ballpark. Shipping was same day and should be here soon. I just hope I don't get raped on border fees. They used USPS so should be ok, just gotta pay the CAD taxes.
In the meantime I also upgraded to the high torque Denso style starter.

Anyone used these guys? Did I make an expensive mistake? (Totally opening the door for someone to say "buying a Ford was your first expensive mistake" :flipoff2:)

I just bought some cables from these guys about 2 months ago for my engine swap in my buggy. I was very pleased with the quality and quickness of the shipment. Need not worry!

im way to cheap for that. plus i have most of the ends and welding cable laying around.

Well sure, if you have the time and tools and materials and motivation... Then by all means DIY them.

Most of us are lacking some or all of those key inputs.

I just bought my own cable and made them for my '99.5. Bought and used 2/0 for it all (even starter).

Crimped, heat shrunk, and moved to military style terminals. Didn't take that long, maybe an afternoon.

I also added some cables as recommended, e.g. from alternator to battery, grounded the alternator, etc.

Definitely a worthy upgrade.

I built my own with some fat welding cable and still had a problem so a couple years ago I went ahead and bought a promaster 9051 and havent had any problems since.

First time ive ever bought a starter that came with a dyno sheet. Truck sounds like a jet engine firing up now.

Put both batteries on the passenger side fender with a custom battery tray. Then build some big fat cables with the crimp on ends yourself. It'll crank twice as fast. These are both OBS fords, but same/same only different.

Attachments

• 0703141131b.jpg
    0703141131b.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 0123141711a.jpg
    0123141711a.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 48
Larry B's

I've bought replacement cables from them.

They also carry the military style terminals. Which I put on everything now:laughing:
I saw that and wonder what does military style terminals mean exactly? Is it just the longer bolt in the post clamp for attaching the cables?

Cables are pretty cheap to DIY.
But good shit is good, so if you'd rather order them I suppose that's worth it too.

I saw that and wonder what does military style terminals mean exactly? Is it just the longer bolt in the post clamp for attaching the cables?

The lug is "Bolted" to the terminal with a through bolt.
Doesn't require on the lead to support the bolt.
They are replaceable with out cutting the cable etc.
They might have a higher clamp load on the post due to the design of the bolt.

They are all I use now too. Much better than crimped positive ends IMO.
Easy to add cables to posts as needed.

Lead_Battery%20Terminal_36114_a_f.png

There's a bolt going through the back side of the terminal horizontally.

So many connection points 🤤

FYI this might be useful for someone.
CAT sells a double ended stud for a standard post battery terminal.
Would make it easy to add a cable to a clamp that doesn't readily accept them.

3T-3349 stud 5/16-18 $14
1M-6120 nut 5/16-18 $.50
s-l640.jpg

I'll add that if you're gonna build them yourself to drill a hole and use some map gas and solder the connection

It helps inhibit corrosion

I'll typically drill a small hole just above the eye connection.

I'll add that if you're gonna build them yourself to drill a hole and use some map gas and solder the connection

I used to fill the lug with solder and push the cable into it while still molten (obviously). Crimp after.

i quit doing that over the flux causing corrosion. now i crimp and heat shrink over it.

2hrs, a punch, torch and solder, Cable and ends. not exactly rocket science. :flipoff2:

Sure, that'll do something, but not nearly as good as properly swaged connections.

I've definitely done more than my fair share of ghetto crimped battery cables though. :lmao:

I bought a complete set (CBC) for my 07.5 Ram 3500. Plus the military clamps. Well worth the $$ to me. They have two grades. The second is much stiffer wire. Glad I didn't buy #2. Had to be extra carefull installing starter end. Used a thinned 17mm open end to prevent damage. Product
is everything as described.👍

Top Back Refresh