What's new

Crawler hauler project?

No idea of your location, but if you wanted to take the easy route out, I’ve got a buddy that will be selling his 40’ crawler hauler after KOH.

It’s got a slide in on the front with wet bath and fits his family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens, plus 2 labs) good enough for a weekend. Still has room to fit his two crawlers and spare parts on the trailer. It’s a low profile trailer as opposed to a deckover.

Only comment to add on the Kaufman would be that I’m not a huge fan of the open center floor trailers or deckover a for your purpose. You can add covers for the first few feet after the camper but still risk a kiddo falling off or a simple misstep hurting lots. Plus the deckover puts the camper up into even more wind than a low profile setup. That’s just my opinion though.

No idea of your location, but if you wanted to take the easy route out, I’ve got a buddy that will be selling his 40’ crawler hauler after KOH.

It’s got a slide in on the front with wet bath and fits his family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens, plus 2 labs) good enough for a weekend. Still has room to fit his two crawlers and spare parts on the trailer. It’s a low profile trailer as opposed to a deckover.

Only comment to add on the Kaufman would be that I’m not a huge fan of the open center floor trailers or deckover a for your purpose. You can add covers for the first few feet after the camper but still risk a kiddo falling off or a simple misstep hurting lots. Plus the deckover puts the camper up into even more wind than a low profile setup. That’s just my opinion though.
I'm definitely interested in the easy way. Dm me some pictures if you get the chance.

I agree on the open center, probably fine if you're a professional car hauler, but being a crawler hauler, you'll have to fill part of it in either way. Would be easy enough, even ply wood would be ok.

I used to think the same thing about deck overs, although I'm not sure that's a true deck over. But I've looked at a few crawler haulers, and it seems like the deck over to goose to huge hieght is tight. I feel like I've even seen low deck ones with the camper blocked up to clear the tonuge.

I agree on the open center, probably fine if you're a professional car hauler, but being a crawler hauler, you'll have to fill part of it in either way. Would be easy enough, even ply wood would be ok.

I used to think the same thing about deck overs, although I'm not sure that's a true deck over. But I've looked at a few crawler haulers, and it seems like the deck over to goose to huge hieght is tight. I feel like I've even seen low deck ones with the camper blocked up to clear the tonuge.
Agreed on open centers. Some love them and some dislike them.

All depends on how the slide in is setup. The one I’ve sent info on, is tight to the goose but I’ve also seen them blocked up or with massive air gaps too.

Agreed on open centers. Some love them and some dislike them.

If I was hauling cars for a living, the less wieght the better. Also can make hooking tie downs up easier.

Anything else, they suck.

All depends on how the slide in is setup. The one I’ve sent info on, is tight to the goose but I’ve also seen them blocked up or with massive air gaps too.

True, I Google image searched to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. So many different types of trailers and campers.

If you have a camper with the drop down booty, a low deck may help keep it lower. A regular ~8' camper like the 2 I have had, I'm not sure would clear a standard goose tongue on a low deck.

There's also different hieght tongues :laughing: newer trailers seem to have higher tongues. My old work opted for a +6" for more bed clearance than our older trailer. Thing showed up with like 18" between the tongue and tail gate of a stock F350 :laughing:

If I was hauling cars for a living, the less wieght the better. Also can make hooking tie downs up easier.

Anything else, they suck.

True, I Google image searched to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. So many different types of trailers and campers.

If you have a camper with the drop down booty, a low deck may help keep it lower. A regular ~8' camper like the 2 I have had, I'm not sure would clear a standard goose tongue on a low deck.

There's also different hieght tongues :laughing: newer trailers seem to have higher tongues. My old work opted for a +6" for more bed clearance than our older trailer. Thing showed up with like 18" between the tongue and tail gate of a stock F350 :laughing:
Good example of multiple ways to skin a cat. :lmao:

For the gap in the center, my plan was some removable expanded metal panels and some well placed fake grass.

For the gap in the center, my plan was some removable expanded metal panels and some well placed fake grass.
Sounds like a plan there. The grass would be handy anyway but would also help with a visual change of material when walking around up too.

Sounds like a plan there. The grass would be handy anyway but would also help with a visual change of material when walking around up too.
I see a lot of people using the grass on the ground outside of their campers to keep the mud to a minimum. Especially at parks like rush or happen where it's a camp wherever you want kind of situation and there's mud literally everywhere. Without something like that on a rainy weekend, you pretty much paint everything brown.

I see a lot of people using the grass on the ground outside of their campers to keep the mud to a minimum. Especially at parks like rush or happen where it's a camp wherever you want kind of situation and there's mud literally everywhere. Without something like that on a rainy weekend, you pretty much paint everything brown.
Very true all around. We have a checker board mat that’s 15x15 or so that we toss out in front of the enclosed for that reason. It washes easily and dries quickly.

Very true all around. We have a checker board mat that’s 15x15 or so that we toss out in front of the enclosed for that reason. It washes easily and dries quickly.
I'm going to be new to the camper thing so I'm sure there's plenty of lessons to learn. Last year I camped in the back of the jeep twice with the seats down flat. It wasn't terrible by myself. I am sold on camping at the park now.

I'm going to be new to the camper thing so I'm sure there's plenty of lessons to learn. Last year I camped in the back of the jeep twice with the seats down flat. It wasn't terrible by myself. I am sold on camping at the park now.
Very true on plenty to learn. We've stayed in our current setup around 40+ nights and every trip I seem to learn something about it or add things to the list of "must haves".

Idk where you live and idk if it’s a good deal… but it might be a good starting point.
AC54EE3C-A6F7-476F-A3ED-79504D905370.jpeg

Sounds like a hail damaged or flooded (insurance totalled) trailer.

They are/were cheap at auction.

That thing looks perfect and the trailer does as well.

I'd call that dude and ask why he's selling, it looks like a flip or maybe a trade in.

That price is about right. That trailer and camper are both 14k new. Used, the car haulers sell at around 6-10 and I haven't priced that size camper used.

That price is about right. That trailer and camper are both 14k new. Used, the car haulers sell at around 6-10 and I haven't priced that size camper used.

If anyone is interested in the trailer in French Lick I'm only 20-30 minutes from there. If I recall correctly it was built by the owners of a local shop as their personal setup a few years ago. They do very nice work and have built a few crawler haulers. The guy selling is a wheeler too, he owns a local Marina/RV place. I don't really know any of them personally just friends of friends in the off-road world.

If anyone is interested in the trailer in French Lick I'm only 20-30 minutes from there. If I recall correctly it was built by the owners of a local shop as their personal setup a few years ago. They do very nice work and have built a few crawler haulers. The guy selling is a wheeler too, he owns a local Marina/RV place. I don't really know any of them personally just friends of friends in the off-road world.
I think it'd be worth calling him, you might be able to work a trade for your shot and save you a bunch of hassle. At least get some feedback on the setup.

Top Back Refresh