What's new

Craigslist (new to me) scam

paulhead

Member Number
Loc
Long Beach Ca.
So I'm selling this 99 Grand Cherokee with over 250K miles, asking 4K obo. I start getting text messages (google number) interested but they want a history report. I'm like why? Old vehicle blah blah. They're adamant and I start seeing a pattern, the conversations are looking similar, my friends driving me down etc. Finally I'm like I'm not paying for a report, I can get a free Carfax thru AAA . They again insist I use the paid one's. I look up the websites and they look legit but I guess there's a way they can still steal your info? This is new to me. I start telling them they're pretty bad at this and then get pissed, HAHA!!!

yeahhhh that's not a known legit source

worldvinfax.com Premium VIN Check | Car Vin Research there was one more but I deleted the message
Considering you can enter random digits that don't resemble and real VIN and it still asks for payment, I'd say there's a pretty good chance it's fake.

Alternatively, I wonder if any of these are using legit sources - like an unlimited carfax subscription - and then just reselling them under a different name and making a killing.

Considering you can enter random digits that don't resemble and real VIN and it still asks for payment, I'd say there's a pretty good chance it's fake.

Alternatively, I wonder if any of these are using legit sources - like an unlimited carfax subscription - and then just reselling them under a different name and making a killing.
My guess is they just want your CC information and they are getting it by "providing" a report.

This^^^
And
Once you enter Vin and or cc# they got yer address and pertinent information.
RUN
Fukkin clist, zero accountability by the ownership :mad3:

The way I understand it is they own the site, so they get your info, and ding your CC.
I had a 300K 4runner for sale and the guy sent me a link wanting a $25 Vin check, I sent him a BS one from another site He insisted I use his link because he trusted it.

I finally got tired of screwing with him and said its a $3k 4runner got fuck yourself, what are you expecting.

The way I understand it is they own the site, so they get your info, and ding your CC.
I had a 300K 4runner for sale and the guy sent me a link wanting a $25 Vin check, I sent him a BS one from another site He insisted I use his link because he trusted it.

I finally got tired of screwing with him and said its a $3k 4runner got fuck yourself, what are you expecting.
Yeah thats the conclusion I came to.

Very common spam texts don’t respond to any numbers from area codes you don’t recognize or asking for vehicle history reports with any verbiage besides Carfax

So I'm selling this 99 Grand Cherokee with over 250K miles, asking 4K obo. I start getting text messages (google number) interested but they want a history report. I'm like why? Old vehicle blah blah. They're adamant and I start seeing a pattern, the conversations are looking similar, my friends driving me down etc. Finally I'm like I'm not paying for a report, I can get a free Carfax thru AAA . They again insist I use the paid one's. I look up the websites and they look legit but I guess there's a way they can still steal your info? This is new to me. I start telling them they're pretty bad at this and then get pissed, HAHA!!!
I had one guy contact me with a similar request when I was selling an Explorer several years ago that my wife bought brand new. Gave me some BS excuse that he needed verification the miles were accurate or it hadn't been in any accidents or something like that. I told him I know the history, since she has had it since it had 12 miles on it. I told him here is the VIN, run your own report, I am not paying for shit. Never heard anything else from him.

Me too.

Better than facebook and their fucked up search algorithm. IDK how anyone finds shit that they are looking for on there. I hate FB marketplace with a passion..."oh, you are looking specifically for this, here are 2000 results of what you are not looking for at all, and 5 somewhere in that 2000 that match what you are looking for". Zuckerberg ought to be kicked in the twat 1000 times a day over that fucked up search algorithm.

Me too.

Better than facebook and their fucked up search algorithm. IDK how anyone finds shit that they are looking for on there. I hate FB marketplace with a passion..."oh, you are looking specifically for this, here are 2000 results of what you are not looking for at all, and 5 somewhere in that 2000 that match what you are looking for". Zuckerberg ought to be kicked in the twat 1000 times a day over that fucked up search algorithm.
I buy and sell on CL…on occasion. Their algorithm sucks too, hate the MFers that put the dictionary in their ad.

I don’t have FB and honestly Craigslist has never failed me . I don’t have anything bad to say about Craigslist I prefer its simplicity and lack of ads.
CL is pretty dead around here since fb mp came about. I still check it out but it’s rare if I find anything listed worth pursuing. I quit listing things on there due to :crickets: as well. Only reason I have fb is because mp but it’s fucked up too. I’m not happy with the search function as it works about as good as this sites search does, like meth head tooths, sporadic. I find really good deals on fb mp like this past weekend where I would’ve never knew about searching cl stagnant pond listings. You have to deal with the weirdos on both places which have their own sort of fuckheads trying to scam or just waste your time. Gotta be able to sort through that and not take it personal or you’ll end up posting threads about it on here crying about it as we usually see.

If it doesn’t pass the smell test, then it’s more than likely a scam. One of the ways scammers prey on sellers is the fact that the sellers hope they have a buyer on the other end so they can finally sell their pos item. So the seller will let their guard down in hopes of this sale. It’s cl or mp and stuff listed on there should always be face to face cash in hand either buying or selling. Don’t fall for going to email links, website links or strange area code phone numbers and hold off on phone numbers anymore until you’re sure it’s legitimate person on the other end.

Anywho, happy buying / selling fawkers and watch out for scammers :flipoff2:

I buy and sell on CL…on occasion. Their algorithm sucks too, hate the MFers that put the dictionary in their ad.
A dictionary (assuming they are telling you about what they are selling and not just a wall of text of keywords so that their ad comes up with practically any search) on CL is fine. Better than ads (on FB or CL) where they are selling something for 30K and their ad says "good condition, selling because I don't need". I'm like really MFer, your lazy ass can't even give any basic details of what you are selling? Pictures are not worth a 1000 words when you are asking $30K for something.
IMO, CL is great for searches...you can exclude an ad that contain certain word(s) by using a minus sign in front of the word(s), you can use pipes as an OR, etc. Can't do any of that with FB. You just put in a keyword, or keywords and get 1000s of results of what you are NOT looking for...because it thinks it is smarter than you are knows what you are really looking for.:homer:
Looking for 235/70-16 tires on FB? Here are a 1000 ads with tires that are not that size and 6 that are.:mad3::flipoff: Yes, I want to look at 17", 18", 19", 20", 22", 14", 15" tires since those will fit my 16" wheels so good. Or I want to see ads with 235/85-16 tires, since they will clear perfectly fine in place of my 235/70 tires. Fucking FB.:rainbow::shaking: In what fucking :clown: world does showing you ads like that make any sense?

So I stumbled into this bullshit today. :lmao: Two CL text replies to my MC add and both ask for the location ? You literally cant open my CL add not see RANCHO CORDOVA CA in CL black text and the CL location map. The first person wants the GIL report :mr-t: Had to look that up. No, fuck you, I am not sending you shit. Sounds like the scams listed above in this thread. If I trade in this bike, I will lose $2,500 trading it in on the new one. It might be worth it. :shaking:

The second responder had replied via e-mailand had a follow up, I'll post it here. My first response is CASH ONLY

"
I appreciate your prompt response. I apologize for any delay in getting back to you, as I am currently away on business and also in the midst of planning my daughter's wedding. I am pleased with the item listed price and condition. I will be sending a cashier's check to you and will coordinate the pickup of the item once your bank has confirmed the check's clearance.. An additional $70 will be included to hold the item for me. Please provide the necessary details for issuing the payment:

• Name for the payment:
• Address:
• City, State, and ZIP Code:
• Final asking price:
Contact number for text updates: SHE/IT PRONOUN HAS ALREADY TEXTED ME

The payment will be dispatched promptly, and I will provide you with the tracking number once it is available. Many thanks! "

So I presume this second one is follow up to her first response which asked WHERE IS IT LOCATED. ? Actually, this text has the same verbiage as the first one I got from another person who I blocked. Here is her frist CL email to me -

"I'm interested in buying it. Where are you located? Can we meet tomorrow? I never check craigslist email, My email is <[email protected]> wrote:"

My vehicle will sell as soon as it warms up and its sunny and hot. Not in a great hurry. I have also posted here in the Motorcycle section . . ..

Icing on the cake :laughing:

Google via gmail is warning me or some AI is kicking in on my behalf. Look at this :flipoff2:

Offered as a line or salutation or some shit in enclosed teXT reply box as a response "NICE TRY" :laughing:

People (scam bots) who immediately want you to email them "directly" and give you said email addy, will 99% of the time be gmail addys, and 100% of the time be Scammy McScammersons.

Sell locally... this is the turf now.

Stick to your ruleset the entire time (when you do find a legit potential buyer) and don't waver from it, soldier. They (legit buyers) want this / that and the other but it's not what you offered, listed, stipulated? They can be politely reminded of the text body in your listing.

Don't let them go southernfried on you, you can always choose to southernfry yourself later. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh