What's new

Coil-Over tuning, springs and valving

I feel like I recall another recognizable spring MFG name shutting down their offroad coil production, and Magnitude picking up their product line. Or am I misremembering? I can't recall for the life of me, I think it may have been PAC?

You would be correct

Anyone here run the Fox DSC? Or other external compression adjusters? Looks like a nice way to get quite a bit of adjustability without revalving the shocks internally...if you have the money.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Magnitude springs? I know Eibach is the gold standard, but are these worth running?
https://www.magnitudeperformance.com...l-over-springs

PAC aka peterson automotive components, closed up shop on the racing springs division. Jason Youd who was running that division started Magnitude once he legal allowed to. Some stock is rebranded PAC stuff, i do believe he is mfg new product, but dont quote me on that.

Anyone here run the Fox DSC? Or other external compression adjusters? Looks like a nice way to get quite a bit of adjustability without revalving the shocks internally...if you have the money.

yes, worth the money

OK, so what is this "DSC specific" valving I've read about? Seems to me that it may just be valved on the stiffer side so you can back off of that with less preload on the secondary valving? Or does the second valve stack stiffen everything up across the board like adding a second shock and splitting the compression valving between the two?

in short the dsc creates hydraulic damping by limiting flow into the reservoir. i typically valve for the middle of the adjustment give the user the ability to soften or tighten up the shock

in short the dsc creates hydraulic damping by limiting flow into the reservoir. i typically valve for the middle of the adjustment give the user the ability to soften or tighten up the shock

Right, but adding DSC or other additional reservoir valving to an otherwise standard shock...is it going to add more compression valving overall? After thinking about it, I'm leaning towards the reservoir valving adding to the piston valving even with the adjuster backed all the way off.

OK, if that's the case then "DSC specific valving" would generally have lighter valving on the shock piston compared to a standard shock and reservoir.

That's my understanding, yes.

Made a new coil spring swap thread in classifieds.
https://irate4x4.com/classifieds/mis...e-or-trade-i-i

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Magnitude springs? I know Eibach is the gold standard, but are these worth running?
https://www.magnitudeperformance.com...l-over-springs

How about Swift Spring? These seem to be making the rounds in the UTV racing world.....

https://www.swiftsprings.com/

I have a bunch of new in box 2.0 coiliver PAC springs I need to sell off. Thanks for making a thread! :smokin:

How about Swift Spring? These seem to be making the rounds in the UTV racing world.....

https://www.swiftsprings.com/

I have a bunch of new in box 2.0 coiliver PAC springs I need to sell off. Thanks for making a thread! :smokin:

They're marketing talk sounds good and I like the barrel spring design BUT......no 18" springs in 2.5" ID and the 18" x 3" ID springs they have listed are too heavy. I have the same problem with Hypercoil. Love their springs, no 18"x 2.5" ID:rolleyes:

yes, worth the money
Do you feel the external adjustability would be worth it if you also have bypass shocks in addition to the coil over?
My father is in the process of ordering King CO's and bypass from Filthy Motorsports, and they swayed him away from the additional adjuster.
Going on the back of an early bronco that will see everything from dune blasting to being loaded with camp gear/overlanding

Anyone have experience running a rebound blow off? I've been using a flutter on my rebound along with pretty light rebound in general for the past couple trips and it seems pretty good but I'm interested in the idea of the blow off. I know how the parts work, just asking how good or bad the shocks work with the blow off. Seems like you might want different springs to tune the blow off disk which I havent really seen.

Only seen a rebound pop off valve used once and that was on a coilover that was paired with a bypass on a solid axle car with shocks on axle.

Anyone have experience running a rebound blow off? I've been using a flutter on my rebound along with pretty light rebound in general for the past couple trips and it seems pretty good but I'm interested in the idea of the blow off. I know how the parts work, just asking how good or bad the shocks work with the blow off. Seems like you might want different springs to tune the blow off disk which I havent really seen.

not a good idea.

OK. Saves me the trouble. Sounds like it may only be useful when used in conjunction with a bypass shock. To keep rebound as light as possible, basically nothing in the shock with the blow off.

OK. Saves me the trouble. Sounds like it may only be useful when used in conjunction with a bypass shock. To keep rebound as light as possible, basically nothing in the shock with the blow off.

even then its not a good idea

20210227_151522.jpg
20210227_154628.jpg

This is what my shock package on the SxS looks like after Double E Racing in Louisiana reworked them. I had DSC adjusters added, compete revalve and all new springs.. Car is used exclusively for short course racing.

All 4 upper springs are 6" 125lb "tenders"

Front lowers are 225's and Rear lowers are 250's

Spring assemblys are preloaded 1.25" F&R

Front crossovers are set 1.75" above the slider with the shocks fully extended and the rears are at 2"

Car is completely different than it was stock. Handles like its on rails and stays very flat in the corners. It now jumps without bucking the ass end which was a HUGE problem with the original setup. When the car is at rest the sliders are on the crossover nuts. Crossovers basically set ride height.

My theory on his spring selection and preload is to keep from having a ton of stored spring energy to help keep rebound valving at a minimum. He also uses a light top spring. My theory is anything above ride height (jumping) releases tension off the main spring and the rebound valving only has to deal with the low rate upper spring. I may be waaaay of on my thinking but figured I'd throw it out there.....

And this is all the shit he took out of the shocks. I assume the 4 short springs in the picture were internal bumps? Not sure if he completely removed them or if he replaced them with something else. I did notice he changed all 4 bumps on the shock shafts to longer stiffer ones, so I'd say he probably eliminated the internal bump springs altogether.

20210227_142408.jpg

Those springs are the top out springs. Without them you are more likely to feel a clunk as the front end tops out, springs valving, wheel/tire weight, all play into if that's an issue for you or not.

I was watching Lite Brite's bomber car shock tuning video. The tuner talks about how important and difficult it is to dial in the rebound with on live axle cars. What options are there when you already have put in a .008 stack and you need an even lighter stack?

I was watching Lite Brite's bomber car shock tuning video. The tuner talks about how important and difficult it is to dial in the rebound with on live axle cars. What options are there when you already have put in a .008 stack and you need an even lighter stack?

Use only half the stack...

larger ports?

You can get .006 shims

Top Back Refresh