What's new

CO UT Wheeling Trip *gasp* in CC

The TX granite is similar for traction and actu'ly more destructive on tires. Moab has the good traction without the cheesegrater effect on the tires. I've shed a lotta rubber at Katemcy. You'll learn soon enuf what the 'Moab chirp' is.

July's miserable in Moab for the heat and still lots of snow in the CO mountains. Be lucky if the passes are open that early in the year. Honestly not sure what kinda winter they had this year tho.

I do Moab in early spring (this year gonna be late fall) and CO in mid-August. Hard to combine them two trips weather-wise. Basic'ly ... July ain't real good for neither.

Pretty much all the passes will be open late July. Early July can be touch an go, but typically a good portion of stuff is open by 4th of July weekend. I have found this website really useful for planning purposes when going to the San Juans: http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

Just watch out for the commercial "Jeep Tour" assholes in the San Juans. They act like they own the trails and don't like to give much room for others to pass by (they also ignore the rule of uphill travel has the right of way). Most of them don't even use Jeeps any more - they're using full size Dodge trucks equipped w/the stadium seating in the back.

Bump. Anyone have a suggestion for the drove from Ridgeway/ Ouray to Moab? Dookie mentioned it on the forum but he just said the south route. Looking for more specific info.

Bump. Anyone have a suggestion for the drove from Ridgeway/ Ouray to Moab? Dookie mentioned it on the forum but he just said the south route. Looking for more specific info.

NOT what I ended up doing a few years ago :homer: Camped north of Durango on night one (in the canyon west of Purgatory ski resort was worth it), breakfast in Silverton, then almost to Ouray before starting up Engineer Pass and hoping to do the Alpine Loop over 2 days. Started snowing on my way up (August 23, 2016), all my gear got wet and bailed from Lake City. Long long long drive from there through Montrose and across I-70 to get to Moab and a dry hotel for the next few days. Turned into a great trip though.

Engineer Pass.jpg
Long Canyon.jpg
Creek.jpg

We went west out of sawpit on co145 to co90 to Ut46. Cool drive. Drops you out just south of hole in the rock

We went west out of sawpit on co145 to co90 to Ut46. Cool drive. Drops you out just south of hole in the rock

Took a google maps look...followed 145 south from Sawpit, followed a river, took some turns and twists, then got lost going into 141 and couldn’t pin point 90....did I just miss something? What kind of route is it? Dirt road? Single lane highway?

your map skills are worrisome... :flipoff2:

The route is easy to follow and all paved.

If you have a little more time, it might be worthwhile to head up north in 141 through Uravan to Gateway. Just before the town of Gateway, turn WEST on the John Brown Canyon Road. That will take you over some interesting dirt/gravel roads and you will eventually end up at Bull Canyon, then drop down into Castle Valley and eventually Moab.

Click image for larger version  Name:	easytofindroads of colorado.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	63514

Last edited:

If you have a little more time, it might be worthwhile to head up north in 141 through Uravan to Gateway. Just before the town of Gateway, turn WEST on the John Brown Canyon Road. That will take you over some interesting dirt/gravel roads and you will eventually end up at Bull Canyon, then drop down into Castle Valley and eventually Moab.

How’s the terrain from 141 to Moab? I wouldn’t say we’d be pressed for time but I’m sure we’re all going to want to get into Moab ASAP to run some trails.

How’s the terrain from 141 to Moab? I wouldn’t say we’d be pressed for time but I’m sure we’re all going to want to get into Moab ASAP to run some trails.

It's about 30 extra miles, twisty and windy, and has 24 miles of unpaved roads. If you are in a hurry, I would stay with the original plan. The other route is more of a scenic detour route. The gravel and dirt aren't horrible, but it will be a lot slower.

The route I described, while all pavement is still extremely scenic, you can see it slowly transition from Colorado to Moab style rocks, super cool.

OP I think your schedule is too fucking ridged. I was looking forward to retirement but found myself being a caregiver to my parents (87yo). I am able to escape for some overland adventure from time to time; but nothing like I dreamed of. When I can escape; the GF and I just head out and wheel or hike. Some of the slot canyons of southern Utah will blow you away if you can take the time to find and enjoy them. Some of the best trips were nothing more then "let's do something stupid" moments.
I wish you an epic journey and hope that you will stop and smell the roses from time to time. This country is just fucking amazing! :smokin:

Thanks guys! Yes unfortunately 11 days doesn’t give room to budge much and that’s considering we will have a day off to spend in a Colorado town. Maybe it’ll be enough to make me want to go back sooner than later. :grinpimp:

Saturday 07/25
0700 Depart Roswell
​Breakfast/ Lunch on the road
1400 Arrive Durango

You will be driving within 1/2 mile of my place around 0930. Wave as you go by.. :p

Don't stop in ABQ.

Theres a roach coach on the right as you enter Bloomfield. EXCELLENT sammiches and burritos. Try the santa fe club.

https://www.habanerogrill.net/

Last edited:
You will be driving within 1/2 mile of my place around 0930. Wave as you go by.. :p

Don't stop in ABQ.

Theres a roach coach on the right as you enter Bloomfield. EXCELLENT sammiches and burritos. Try the santa fe club.

https://www.habanerogrill.net/

You inviting the group for lunch? :flipoff2:

will keep it in mind...that may be doable for a pit stop for lunch.

You inviting the group for lunch? :flipoff2:

will keep it in mind...that may be doable for a pit stop for lunch.

Didn't figure you'd be ready for lunch/beers @ 0930ish. :flipoff2: Bloomfield would be a late lunch. The range cafe in Bernalillio kicks ass and would be right around noonish for you.

Didn't figure you'd be ready for lunch/beers @ 0930ish. :flipoff2: Bloomfield would be a late lunch. The range cafe in Bernalillio kicks ass and would be right around noonish for you.

Nothing like a 7 AM beer :smokin: Yeah need to sit down the next few day’s and finalize the trip plans.

Sorry for the slight derail OP. Ive heard of this road but never driven it. Is this something you could take a crewcab dually with a 12' slide in camper on?

Sorry for the slight derail OP. Ive heard of this road but never driven it. Is this something you could take a crewcab dually with a 12' slide in camper on?

this is one of the videos I watched when I was planning my route for the Utah trip earlier this year.

https://youtu.be/m_iOxdAIGIk

I rode over this exact route in the middle of May on my touring street bike. Only dropped it once in the sand at 20 mph. :mad3:

I wouldn't hesitate to go on that road again with regular vehicle. never driven a truck with a 12-ft trailer, so I can't say, but it certainly seemed flat and smooth for the most part on the bike. It does seem like rain might make the dirt a little harder to navigate.

this is one of the videos I watched when I was planning my route for the Utah trip earlier this year.

https://youtu.be/m_iOxdAIGIk

I rode over this exact route in the middle of May on my touring street bike. Only dropped it once in the sand at 20 mph. :mad3:

I wouldn't hesitate to go on that road again with regular vehicle. never driven a truck with a 12-ft trailer, so I can't say, but it certainly seemed flat and smooth for the most part on the bike. It does seem like rain might make the dirt a little harder to navigate.

Is Bull Canyon close off that route? Video looks like he goes from Moab to Colorado and not the other way around?

That video is definitely shot from Gateway to Moab. Bull Canyon is on the route.

photo13529.jpg

Hopefully they are doing takeout since Wuhan Lujan closed down dining in again :shaking:

Nothing like a 7 AM beer :smokin: Yeah need to sit down the next few day’s and finalize the trip plans.

Breakfast beers are the best :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh