What's new

CJ5 rear corner armor?

D_JEEPER

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Member Number
So I have been looking for some steel corner armor for my 80 CJ5 but cannot seem to find anything aside from diamond plate (why do people like that?).

I would really like to get some full armor down the side, but it seems those dont exist out there. To my knowledge the corner radius for the CJ5 is smaller than that of the CJ7/YJ/TJ.

Anyone have a source on these?

I'd be really surprised if an 80 CJ-5 had a different radius because they were making 7s at that time too. Knowing Jeep, that radius probably stayed the same from the MB through the TJ:lmao:

My advice is: if you are dead set on corner guards, to try and find aluminum. I wrapped the ass end of my TJ in 3/16" steel added a bunch of weight and have never even scratched it.

I'd be really surprised if an 80 CJ-5 had a different radius because they were making 7s at that time too. Knowing Jeep, that radius probably stayed the same from the MB through the TJ:lmao:

My advice is: if you are dead set on corner guards, to try and find aluminum. I wrapped the ass end of my TJ in 3/16" steel added a bunch of weight and have never even scratched it.
Well... I considered aluminum but eh.... already kinda crunched one side and I am trying to build some steel bumper/sliders along the side and repair the wheel well opening some. No ability to weld aluminum unfortunately. Not terribly concerned about the weight haha.
I was told the CJ5 has a smaller radius so I didnt want to assume the corners were the same. Maybe it was the early (60s) CJ5s that were different?

Well... I considered aluminum but eh.... already kinda crunched one side and I am trying to build some steel bumper/sliders along the side and repair the wheel well opening some. No ability to weld aluminum unfortunately. Not terribly concerned about the weight haha.
I was told the CJ5 has a smaller radius so I didnt want to assume the corners were the same. Maybe it was the early (60s) CJ5s that were different?
This site lists one part for the whole run of the CJ5 so they at least think it was the same all the way through the CJ5's run.

With the possible exception of the windshield I'd always heard CJ5 tops would always fit a CJ5 so that would also mean that radius never changed.

I would guess If that radius ever changed it was between the CJ5 and CJ7.

Any steel supply shop can make you exactly what size you want with a nice radius bend in it.

You can choose thickness as well...holes punched out for taillight wiring

The right place could do exactly what you dream up and a great price as well

Any steel supply shop can make you exactly what size you want with a nice radius bend in it.

You can choose thickness as well...holes punched out for taillight wiring

The right place could do exactly what you dream up and a great price as well

Thats what I did to my CJ5 in 90/91 out of aluminum, then I cut the wheel wells. It was one piece because I eliminated the tailgate
The radius is the same, CJ5/CJ7.

Thats what I did to my CJ5 in 90/91 out of aluminum, then I cut the wheel wells. It was one piece because I eliminated the tailgate
The radius is the same, CJ5/CJ7.
Exactly like that as example.
Those shops are also great at making rock rail/armor too...

When customizing those steel shops are so very helpful

IF you want to verify the radius, I'll make a template of the radius on my CJ7 corner armour and send it to ya. (Via the USPS)

Top Back Refresh