What's new

CJ10 / NP 198 experts

Nkldrgr

Member Number
I'm helping a neighbor turn a really clean CJ10 into a daily driver. We need to convert the NP 198 to part time use. I know it needs 208 parts. Anyone tried using 241 shifter parts? I know that the 241 is the successor to the 208, but not sure how different the parts are. Before I tear two transfer cases apart, I thought I'd ask.

Ive never seen or even heard of a 198.

But 208 are all torington bears and i dont think there anything besides the seals, bolts and 4x sensor that are the same as 241

Ive never seen or even heard of a 198.

But 208 are all torington bears and i dont think there anything besides the seals, bolts and 4x sensor that are the same as 241

Kinda what I though. Thanks. An NP 198 is basically an NP 208 that is factory locked in low. They were exclusively built for the CJ10 aircraft tug

Kinda what I though. Thanks. An NP 198 is basically an NP 208 that is factory locked in low. They were exclusively built for the CJ10 aircraft tug

So get a 208 and swap your shit into it's case as necessary.

Whats the cj10 trans?
out put spline?23? Dodge auto 2nd gen 231/241 should bolt right in.
21? 4cyl yj+ 231 should fit. Might even be able to put the 21s into a 241 so long as the gear cuts are properly matched

I cant even find an image of one (quick searching)

What side output is it?

I couldn't find anything on the NP 198 at all either, which I find interesting in and of itself. Anyway, if the NP 198 is similar to the NP 208 then the output side should be the side where the speedometer gear is located. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Good luck... 😉

It's a driver's side drop. Nearly identical to the NP 208 that came from an 80s era Waggy. Yes, I know that I can simply swap in a 208. Or I could simply buy the necessary parts. But, since I have a 241, I was curious. I've got options.

I'm from the old school of wheeling. When it was helpful to know which parts worked together and interchanged. Now, you can simply buy just about anything. Thanks for everyone's input.

Unfortunately I don't know if an NP 241 could be the replacement for your NP 198 directly. However, after doing some research, I came across this forum post:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/np208-to-np241-swap-with-pictures.132655/

It's where someone swapped a NP 208 to a NP 241 and since the NP 198 is similar to the NP 208, just maybe it will work. Personally I would do some research on companies that specialize in transfer case swaps to get the real answers.

Anyway, hope this helps... 😉

You are correct. The 241C and the 208C can be interchanged. However, this is not a GM application. Its a 198J from a Jeep. Different drop: 208s are usually passenger side while 241s are usually driver's side (generally, not always). Many parts are mirror images of each other. Not the end of the world.

Like I said, I have options. But I was just curious how much, if anything was in common between the 241 and 198. Good discussion though.

If someone ever finds this thread down the road looking for an answer, the easiest way to do all of this is to find a Jeep NP208 from a Waggy. Next would be to simply buy the parts needed to convert that 198 to part time. From what I'm reading in parts manuals, Total Newb is right. Almost nothing interchanges between a 208 and 241.

Jeep/chy/dodge has just as much tcase swapability as others. Say for instance the 241d and 208​​​​d

Still havent said what the input spline count is.

It will have a tf727 transmission with a 23 spline output shaft and sae-6 tcase bolt pattern. So a 6 cylinder yj 231 should fit.

Top Back Refresh