What's new

Chain saw hard to pull start

Truckedup

RIP 3/13/23
Member Number
Loc
NY
I have three saws, a small and large Husky and a large Sthl, by large I mean 20 inch .All the saws are pro models..they are used about 4 times a year for felling trees and firewood cutting. Always use non ethanol gas, synthetic oil mixed carefully. Drain the fuel when finished.
It's the same thing every time, nearly impossible to pull the rope. I remove the plug and they spin easy...When I finally get them running it's no problem to start after that. They run and idle perfectly.
Anyone have this problem or know what causes it? Thanks

Spin fine without the plug? Yea dude, start working out that right arm to get through the compression. :flipoff2:

No decompression valve on the bigger saws? What model are they?

Naw, a big burly fuck said the same thing. He yanked on the rope and was afraid it would break...

You remove the plug, it spins easy, then replace the plug and can start it? Or when you replace the plug is it hard to pull again?
what model saws are they?

m18.jpg
:flipoff2:

No decompression valve on the bigger saws? What model are they?

Still is a 032AV, the bigger Husky is 60cc, but not in front of me right now...the small Husky is 336 but it's not to big of a problem. No decompression valves.
no old fuel in them, yes, just as hard to pull when plug is screwed back in.

Last edited:
I have an old 032. It’s always been a bitch to start cold. Running it will cut like a hot knife thru butter. Damn good saws. Heavy as hell though.

You're not holding it like this are you?

vui0pd071pkz.jpg

When you start it are you dropping the saw like you were throwing it on the ground while holding/pulling the rope?

That's how I do it.

Still is a 032AV, the bigger Husky is 60cc, but not in front of me right now...the small Husky is 336 but it's not to big of a problem. No decompression valves.
no old fuel in them, yes, just as hard to pull when plug is screwed back in.

Pull the starter assemblies off em. Clean/lube them, and check the pull cord to make sure it hasn't worn thin enough to bind on itself on the pulley.

Only other thing I can think of if they're all having the same problem is a fuel/oil issue causing a carbon buildup in the cylinder.

Starting the saw on the ground with a foot and hand hold....Friend came over with a newer version of the same Stihl...Much easier to pull... something fucked up with the saw...

Starting the saw on the ground with a foot and hand hold....Friend came over with a newer version of the same Stihl...Much easier to pull... something fucked up with the saw...

So, the same thing is fucked up on all three of your saws?

Newer saw has the automagic decompression.

Do like I said and "throw the saw on the ground while holding/pulling the cord" like a real man. That ground starting shit is for pussies and chainsaw instructors I guess.

Pull harder. If I didn't know better I'd think my 046 was siezed... but I do know better and dont have strings for arms.

Never saw have automatic compression release.

Im curious on how much compression the fucker has, My old 88cc Husky is a real bastard to start but runs amazing.

I have an old Craftsman that gets used a lot, 36cc w/16 bar and starts up every time :flipoff2:
​​​​​

Fuck, I'm a weakling. I used to start the saws despite the effort needed on a cold start. I just was not dealing the reality with nearly a year of treatment and surgery ...I gotta strengthen up and not and not be a **** like Evernoob...

Fogging oil.
fwiw my 80cu in husky became a pita to pull...
rope drum broke.

Top Back Refresh