What's new

Cellular trail cameras

Ranch Hand

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Texas
Screenshot 2021-01-24 190414.jpg

Any recommendations? I'm just starting to look. It appears the important points are:

Picture resolution
Video?
Trigger speed
Battery life
Cost

Data plan cost
Instant notification or delayed
Does it send high resolution photos, low res, thumbnails?
Does it send videos?
Anything else?

There's a bunch of them out there: Spypoint, Covert, Browning, Moultrie and more. I think one of them can even send real time video on request. Who's got the bestest?

I'm following this. Had a discussion on these recently. Some people think you buy an app and get to use the cell tower for free. After some research, I found there is some very limited "free" service. But most are paying monthly. Seems like it would be better if you could get access to some wifi. This brought up more discussion. One of my relatives thinks they are broadcasting wifi on cell towers. Not sure if they might be doing this in the cities, but not around here.

I like the daisy chain approach. You could even put the home camera at your house and not even use a data plan -- just pull the SD card to view them all.

I'm going to keep looking for something that gives instant notification, that would be real handy when the feral hogs are moving through the land.

I have 2 of the Covert code black cameras. The first one went through ATT and was $5 a month for 1000 pictures. Then they shut done 3g in my area and I had to get another camera that was LTE and the new camera has to go through Covert and is $7 a month and have to use there portal crap and like Youtube all of the images are theirs they keep them. I am not a fan of the new setup and turn it on only when we have problems with hogs, it send notification soon enough for me to get to the farm and whack a couple without sitting over there wondering if they are going to show up. I really need to find a way to Wifi one.

I have 3 spypoints out, work great in the summer but one crapped out last winter. The other 2 are still going on only their second set of batteries. Very fun and convenient but I do get a lot of empty pics. Here's a pic for quality- they also have a card with full HD pics stored if they don't send. I haven't pulled them to check if all pics were sent

Screenshot_20210122-165919_SPYPOINT.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-170257_SPYPOINT.jpg

First year using Spypoints, not bad. First 100 pictures are free and then you can pay for bigger packages monthly. I opted to buy 3 months of a higher capacity package during the season. 8 AA and battery life was great.

We’ve got Spypoints all over our lease and they’ve been great.

Get the version with lithium batteries and a solar charger, or run a separate battery on a solar charger. I have to swap out AA batteries every other month it seems on the cameras without solar.

There’s about a 2-5 min delay from when the pic takes to when it’s on my phone.

Lots of good info everyone -- thanks. So a 2-5 minute delay is typical for most cameras?

They are great. Especially when you get 30 pictures of a farking squirrel running up and down a tree.

Do you have to have a data plan for each individual Spypoint or can they link to a "master" camera and just have a data plan for that camera?

Father-in-law wants remote access to his game cameras at his lease. He gets frustrated with technology real quick and I'm his default tech support. He (we) need something simple. He can rebuild a quadrajet without a reference, but don't ask him to install a computer program or scan a document.

Spypoint doesn't make it clear on their website. They offer 100 photos/month for free, is that per camera or per account? I assume there's no limit to the number of cameras you have on an account? If I bump up to one of the higher photo quantity paid plans, again is that per camera or account? Am I paying $4/month per plan for 250 photos or $4/camera/month for 250 photos from each camera?

Lee, if your not REAL careful you or your Dad will be paying a lot for pictures of anything but Deer. I can envision your guy getting the first "Damn Web Bill " :lmao:

Father-in-law wants remote access to his game cameras at his lease. He gets frustrated with technology real quick and I'm his default tech support. He (we) need something simple. He can rebuild a quadrajet without a reference, but don't ask him to install a computer program or scan a document.

Spypoint doesn't make it clear on their website. They offer 100 photos/month for free, is that per camera or per account? I assume there's no limit to the number of cameras you have on an account? If I bump up to one of the higher photo quantity paid plans, again is that per camera or account? Am I paying $4/month per plan for 250 photos or $4/camera/month for 250 photos from each camera?

Unlimited camera per account
1 data plan per camera

I'm admittedly dense sometimes. I'd already their FAQ, and still aren't clear on if I'm paying per camera for a plan? In the Spypoint ecosystem data plan doesn't matter since the camera comes with an activated SIM, you just set up an account and get 100 photos/month with purchase of the camera, right? Assuming plan=account I can just buy him an annual premium plan once a year and he can have as many cameras on his plan/account as he wants, right?

You can manage the account and just share the login info with him. Add as many cameras as you want. They can all be free, or if you keep running out of pics, you will have to buy a plan for each camera. Each camera has its own plan, and each plan can be different.

So for instance, one camera only gets 50 pics on average a month, you can leave it on the free plan, but another camera gets 300+ pics a month, you can buy a premium plan for just that one.

You can link any model of spypoint camera to the same account, but each one needs its own plan.

If you’re getting hundreds of pics of grass blowing in the wind, turn the sensitivity down, which is managed in the individual camera settings of the account.

If you’re getting hundreds of pics of grass blowing in the wind, turn the sensitivity down, which is managed in the individual camera settings of the account.

I asked about this exact feature in another thread. I was only able to find one, a single brand and model that had this ability ON THE CAMERA. You are saying a software setting. Is this the Spypoint ? - thanks

Would love being to stream from an old cell phone to a web site I have access to and control said access.

Anyone else like this premise?

I asked about this exact feature in another thread. I was only able to find one, a single brand and model that had this ability ON THE CAMERA. You are saying a software setting. Is this the Spypoint ? - thanks
Yes, it's a Spypoint camera, and you should have the option to adjust the camera sensitivity through the app.

I assume this works with all Spypoint cameras, but I can't say for certain, but my account does have several different models attached to it, and they can all be adjusted through the app.

The only exception being a cell-link camera, which is a standard game camera with Spypoint's cell-link hardware attached, which basically turns it into a cellular camera. That camera's settings must be adjusted on the physical camera itself.

We had a couple spypoints on our place and took them back within a week.

I hope they don't suck too bad. I compared and read reviews until I was sick of it. Spypoint seems to be the simplest option, for our needs. There are better cameras that take better pictures and/or video, but I think I like most of Spypoint's other features, price point, and options better than the competition.

Amazon has 2 packs on sale for $180, so that's what he's getting. Ordered the 2 pack of the Verizon model, a 5 pack of SD cards, 32 Amazon Basics High Capacity Ni-MH AA batteries, and 2 of their 4x AA/AAA battery chargers. Merry Christmas!

Still love my spypoint's. I've probably had them 5 yrs or so, I had to warranty one and now have too do another but they've been great to work with.

The HD pics are on the card and NOT sent to your phone. You adjust sensitivity on the app, I rarely get junk pics and I get >400 pics a month

Top Back Refresh