What's new

California schools are gonna be shut down again it looks like

From my personal standpoint, what I hate about all this is school taxes. Districts built their own version of the Taj Mahal, now they're going to sit empty and rake in the cash. The whole system is fucked.

Was just talking to a friends wife who is an AP in a small west texas town. Nothing has changed, school is scheduled to open as per tradition. The entire county has 17 cases and they're exempt from any mandates ordered in Austin. I would hope the rural CA districts have the same options. She was saying 70% of the kids are on free/reduced lunch. You cant have kids in a district like that running wild, as the parents just dont care. The stories they tell me are just unreal.

My traditionally right-leaning cousin is an El-Ed teacher in rural MN. She's gone from being very level headed to outright hating Betsy-whats-her-name in the department of education because she wants schools to open. A lot of teachers appear to not want to go back to work up there, if I'm judging the responses on her FB feed correctly.

If they don't want to work, they should consider a different career, I guess. I don't have kids, so I don't really have a dog in the hunt. But.... I can see a certain population of teachers being detrimental to children back in a classroom scenario... because COVID isn't about science anymore... it's a religion.

read more into whats going on. They want to go back to work, for a drastically increased salary, as hazard pay because they might get the virus.

Haven't heard a thing about hazard pay for any districts in my area of California. In fact, quite the opposite. Most districts are laying off teachers, not hiring new ones and moving people from "coaching" positions back into the classrooms, and not allowing year steps for the upcoming year to hold down salary increases by most teachers.

I am not sure if you are implying that teachers are getting rich off this whole situation, or trying to, but that isn't happening in my area.

After a little Googling, it appears that some state politicians are looking into "hazard pay" for district employees of $500/yr. Not sure I would classify that as a "drastic increase" but I guess that term is relative to your own financial situation.

Thats another thing if someone wants to produce crotch fruit be prepared to pay for their education and not expect land owners to cover that cost.

Schools will stay closed as long as possible because their budgets are growing. The other shoe hasn't dropped yet, but people will soon realize schools being closed is going to cost at least 1.5x the proposed budget for the year and future years.

All expenses for brick and mortar are due and paid along with kids getting free lunches delivered by bus, but where did all of the online learning devices come from? Sure Microsoft and Google are free for education, but they still need devices. 1 to 1 devices will get funded so kids can gather in classrooms in the future to do "online learning". Internet hot spots paid for because poor kids don't have internet access at home. It'll never end, it just means more power for the dirty admins, school boards, and unions.

My traditionally right-leaning cousin is an El-Ed teacher in rural MN. She's gone from being very level headed to outright hating Betsy-whats-her-name in the department of education because she wants schools to open. A lot of teachers appear to not want to go back to work up there, if I'm judging the responses on her FB feed correctly.

If they don't want to work, they should consider a different career, I guess. I don't have kids, so I don't really have a dog in the hunt. But.... I can see a certain population of teachers being detrimental to children back in a classroom scenario... because COVID isn't about science anymore... it's a religion.

But you are still chipping in on paying the bill. You have a full grown dog in the hunt. Pay attention, they still get your money and always want more of it....for the children.

Haven't heard a thing about hazard pay for any districts in my area of California. In fact, quite the opposite. Most districts are laying off teachers, not hiring new ones and moving people from "coaching" positions back into the classrooms, and not allowing year steps for the upcoming year to hold down salary increases by most teachers.

I am not sure if you are implying that teachers are getting rich off this whole situation, or trying to, but that isn't happening in my area.

After a little Googling, it appears that some state politicians are looking into "hazard pay" for district employees of $500/yr. Not sure I would classify that as a "drastic increase" but I guess that term is relative to your own financial situation.

this is coming from educators i know directly. That the districts are going to have to "pony up" to get them back in the classroom.

im not saying thats every educator, but i wouldnt be surprised if the teachers union used this as leverage to increase salaries.

But you are still chipping in on paying the bill. You have a full grown dog in the hunt. Pay attention, they still get your money and always want more of it....for the children.

That's definitely true..

read more into whats going on. They want to go back to work, for a drastically increased salary, as hazard pay because they might get the virus.

It's the opposite here, the unions are fighting to keep the schools closed and still get paid due to COVID.

Jim Hogg county (Deep South TX close to Laredo) issued a emergency order yesterday suspending face to face instruction until October 2nd. So, schools will be online there.

Thats another thing if someone wants to produce crotch fruit be prepared to pay for their education and not expect land owners to cover that cost.

Schools funded through taxes didn't come from cheapass parents not wanting to pay for it. Having an educated citizenry fuels the economy, significantly enough that it was deemed by many, many people a critical function worthy of govt administration. In other words, an educated child is more likely to be a self sufficient, contributing member of the nation, while jimmy-low-brow will likely end up incarcerated or on the dole, a drag on society. Sure, you may not have kids, but when you are old, retired and pulling social security, just who the fuck do you think is funding the ponzi money you get in that check? All the little fuckers you didn't want to help educate.

Nothing says it has to be paid by taxes, but that is just the way it is being done now. So instead of hollering "Defund the school system!", how about coming up with a different/better idea to resolve the problem? There are a bunch of us that would very much like to hear new ideas.

Last edited:
LOL I've also heard it said that a government educated individual is not likely to take over that government, or something to that effect.

LOL I've also heard it said that a government educated individual is not likely to take over that government, or something to that effect.

That has more to do with how the education system is administered. Not the benefit of education as a concept.

But I think you would agree that the US is a stronger country if the people are educated rather than a country of stereotypical hillbilly do-nuthins.

That has more to do with how the education system is administered. Not the benefit of education as a concept.

But I think you would agree that the US is a stronger country if the people are educated rather than a country of stereotypical hillbilly do-nuthins.

True, and that's one of the big reasons public schools were pushed so hard. An educated public is a much better asset to a country than illiterate bumpkins.

Shirley you are joking.

i know there are good teachers out there, but there are some who just do it because they cant do anything else. They give the former a bad name.

americans-why-do-police-protect-bad-cops-keep-employed-teachers-unions.jpg?w=501&ssl=1.jpg

Fawk yeah it is. I was getting nearly 300 emails a day of student work at the end of the school year...

But here is the REAL issue......suddenly loser teachers found out that the PARENTS could see what they were really doing.

Our district told us to keep everything simple, not go overboard on technology or overwhelm the kids. Direct qouter: "This is NOT the time to get creative" We were to give no more than an hour and a half of work per class per week. We were basically in "get through this" mode.

What do the fucking teachers do? Most went WAY over-board, daily zoom meeting, multiple websites, different techy ways to turn shit in. It was a shit show.

I was really happy with how my daughters kindergarten teachers handled things. Granted it took a week or two to fine tune things and get into the groove with it. I went to her school to pick up a big packet of class work once. It had a bunch of math fluency sheets, handwriting worksheets, reading worksheets, her learn to read book, and some other stuff. The teacher would record a 20 minute video per subject and upload it to google classroom. So for math for instance he would explain the days worksheet, do a couple of problems as an example with screen sharing, then we paused the video while my daughter competed the rest.

the first week or two we had to wait for each video to be uploaded but after that he started having all the subject videos up for the day at once. With this we were able to get thru all her work in about 2 hours or so. They did Zoom meetups Monday, Wednesday, and Friday so all the kids could see each other and interact with their friends, they attempted show and tell (not easy with 16 5 year olds all in separate houses, they were kind of a mess really).

the schools art and music teachers also uploaded videos a couple of times a week and they set us up with accounts on Brain Pop and a few other learning websites.

as well as I think they did under the circumstances, I don’t think the wife and I can handle doing this crap all over again starting first grade. After a while we started alternating every other day who was the teacher and who had the day off to stay sane.

this is awesome :lmao:

United Teachers Los Angeles says "don't open up schools until you defund the police!" "oh, also the 'rona thing"

https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...oats_final.pdf

LOCAL SUPPORT Although the machinations of Washington, D.C. and Sacramento have received the spotlight during this crisis, many of the living and working conditions in people’s everyday lives are decided at the local level. Local policies often set the precedent for more progressive moves at the state and national level.

1. Defund Police: Police violence is a leading cause of death and trauma for Black people, and is a serious public health and moral issue.65 We must shift the astronomical amount of money devoted to policing, to education and other essential needs such as housing and public health.

https://www.utla.net/sites/default/files/samestormdiffboats_final.pdf
https://www.utla.net/sites/default/files/samestormdiffboats_final.pdf

bracing for the "new normal" because there sure ain't no going back to the old normal!

Not sure. Of course not in places with low infections, but I do think they will wake up and make everyone wear masks from the federal level.

They won't. Free states like SC are not shutting back down. They have no support for it and tons against. Here the state won't mandate masks either. Local municipalities are mandating masks to go shopping.

Handled at the local level is the best way.

I think the schools should open. I seriously think these governors need to be fired and a new batch put in that can realize they have boundaries that they should not overstep. Its one thing if you want to implement sanitization. It is a completely different if you expect to shut every one down and think you can give hand outs. At the current rate of handouts for stimulation of the economy if taxes are not coming in when does the money stop flowing so to speak.

Just call it a stimulus package for day care services :laughing:

most daycares follow a local school district schedule and closing measures. if they close schools, the daycares will also be closed. They dont want the liability.

since the first shutdown, i personally know of 3 different daycares that did not re-open and are closed permanently.

most daycares follow a local school district schedule and closing measures. if they close schools, the daycares will also be closed. They dont want the liability.

since the first shutdown, i personally know of 3 different daycares that did not re-open and are closed permanently.

out here in WA, daycares have always been exempt from the shutdowns. even the private schools that fell/fall into the 'school closures' have been able to keep their separate day care programs open.

why? because kids aren't even vectors for this shit.

Vouchers. That is how you solve this complete and utter nonsense. I have absolutely zero sympathy for the biggest group of whiners on the planet: public school teachers in the CTA.

If your school tax were tied to your student, there is a 100% chance that schools would be open already. Staying closed is a teachers union bargaining technique.

Lol German study says kids in school do not significantly spread the Rona. ev13wt What do you say about this? It states children might actually act as a brake on the spread lol. The only reason we are closing the schools is to inflict Political damage on Trump. The retard dems cannot figure out how to beat him and this is there only hope.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...y-schools.html

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/us/california-orange-county-reopen-school-no-masks-trnd/index.html

dntsdad you've probably seen this one already

The Orange County Board of Education approved its recommendations on Monday for the reopening of schools in the fall. The board voted 4-1 to approve a set of guidelines, including regular temperature checks, frequent hand washing and thorough cleanings of classrooms, offices and buses.

The board did not, however, require the use of masks or social distancing. In fact, it advised against the measures.

despite this well rounded board of education recommendation

Some of the largest school districts in Orange County, California, say they will not follow their board of education's recommendation to return students and teachers to the classroom.

:shaking:

like everything, it isn't about education, it isn't about masks, it IS about control!

Top Back Refresh