What's new

California flooding and evacs

Most of the reservoirs at the base of the sierras are fed largely by snowmelt. The snow hasn't started melting. Typically we see reservoir levels rise through spring and sometimes into summer depending on how late the winter is.

A number of those reservoirs power hydroelectric powerplants. You can't create electricity without releasing water.

Sometimes they'll release water in preparation for future storms or snowmelt. You don't want the reservoir above capacity because then you have no way to control the release of water.
They do the same thing up here. Keep em low all winter and fill them up early spring.

64795.jpeg

I love snow but this wet stuff sucks.
even though it is just over a foot, it is like cement.

still snowing lightly, tree tops are snapping around the house again.
until the snow comes out of them not a safe place to be outside.

Oof, just saw that.

If I was that mom, not sure I could live with myself. We hear it over and over, do not drive into a flooded areas.
Such a preventable thing must be extra painful for that parent. I can't imagine how the father feels and if he's angry at her or what.

"when Lindsy Doan got there Monday morning, there wasn’t any signage indicating the road was closed, her husband said. By the time she realized the crossing had been flooded, the Chevrolet Traverse she and Kyle were in started to get swept away by the floodwaters into the creek."
:shaking:

Oof, just saw that.

If I was that mom, not sure I could live with myself. We hear it over and over, do not drive into a flooded areas.
Such a preventable thing must be extra painful for that parent. I can't imagine how the father feels and if he's angry at her or what.

"when Lindsy Doan got there Monday morning, there wasn’t any signage indicating the road was closed, her husband said. By the time she realized the crossing had been flooded, the Chevrolet Traverse she and Kyle were in started to get swept away by the floodwaters into the creek."
:shaking:
I think its hard to imagine for most, why these people keep driving into flooded areas. It seems like an obvious thing to avoid.

When I drove to work on that monday at 6:30 in the morning it was dark and raining hard. There weren't any shelter in place warnings nor any signage for flooding yet. I drove through flooding on the highway that I couldn't see. I felt it once I was in it. Luckily it wasn't very deep and I was in the 4runner. The only spot I turned around at was in downtown SLO where there were a couple guys putting out cones and warning people it was flooded. Even so, I turned around and took a different route that also had flooding and was later closed. That was about 7am and things were starting to get lighter out, but I still couldn't see the standing water on the road.

I think that daily urgency to drop the kids off, get to work, and have a normalish day pushes a lot of people to make hasty decisions at times, then not knowing how bad the situation really is("if I can just make it through this section everything else will be fine and I can go about my day") and poor visibility during the storm all lead to bad situations. Similar to private pilots that get caught in weather they shouldn't have been in.

I think its hard to imagine for most, why these people keep driving into flooded areas. It seems like an obvious thing to avoid.

When I drove to work on that monday at 6:30 in the morning it was dark and raining hard. There weren't any shelter in place warnings nor any signage for flooding yet. I drove through flooding on the highway that I couldn't see. I felt it once I was in it. Luckily it wasn't very deep and I was in the 4runner. The only spot I turned around at was in downtown SLO where there were a couple guys putting out cones and warning people it was flooded. Even so, I turned around and took a different route that also had flooding and was later closed. That was about 7am and things were starting to get lighter out, but I still couldn't see the standing water on the road.

I think that daily urgency to drop the kids off, get to work, and have a normalish day pushes a lot of people to make hasty decisions at times, then not knowing how bad the situation really is("if I can just make it through this section everything else will be fine and I can go about my day") and poor visibility during the storm all lead to bad situations. Similar to private pilots that get caught in weather they shouldn't have been in.
I once hit water in a uhaul truck so deep that there were corn cobs from the field on top of the exhaust manifolds. It tore the exhaust apart at the manifolds too.

Just driving my toterhome to a buddies house, it's dark, can't see shit because of the torrential rains and 1989 box truck sealed beams. Doing about 40 mph.
Then just a wall of water on the windshield and a box truck going sideways. Never even saw the 2 feet of water on the road.
Needed to change my pants. not entirely sure how I drifted a 26' box truck for 100 feet and stayed on the road, but I did it. Inspected the truck next morning at his house and saw how high the water had actually been.

edit:
I was so pissed. after 2 years I'd finally gotten the exhaust to not be a loud pile of shit and was looking forward to a quiet 6 hour trip. nope, right back to open manifold IDI right under my floorboards.
All the hangers and shit were bent, pipes didn't fit back where they were, just a shit show.

Last edited:
During the last storm when the flooding started, I went out of my way to text my wife and sister in law, don't drive through flooded areas. They're not dumb, and gave me a little attitude for treating them like they're dumb, but a reminder is helpful.

Growing up we had an '86 full size Bronco, but it was just to tow the boat, my dad had no business off-road. When I was maybe 8-10yo, it was raining very hard, so my dad and I went to Blockbuster to rent a movie. I'm really dating myself here. The road was flooded, and my dad tried to drive across it, sucked water into the engine and hydrolocked the motor, tried to start it and bent a rod. I was big enough to be riding in the front seat and got out on my own, I remember being at least waist deep, because the walk home sucked in wet pants. In hindsight, it would have been pretty easy to get swept away.

This site is like Christmas morning for me for some reason.
83191A45-BA96-4E66-B7C5-D2FE10235185.jpeg

Keep posting those update stats on the water levels. It's like Christmas for me, too.

This site is like Christmas morning for me for some reason.
83191A45-BA96-4E66-B7C5-D2FE10235185.jpeg
I love seeing it too, but also the fact that some areas in the state are still sitting below historical averages for this time of year even after all that worries me. The most nearby one for me locally on this map is San Luis. We got dumped on hard, and it's still only at 66%. No bueno.

Hay He is WORKING :flipoff2:

Eta

I'm an hr anna half from the coast and have brackish water 5 minutes away...

Looks like tomorrow might be the last bit of rain.
Any other storms way out there looking to come anytime soon after that?

Looks like tomorrow might be the last bit of rain.
Any other storms way out there looking to come anytime soon after that?
Nah, thats probably it for the year.

Thats pretty much what happened last year. Ton of rain in december and then basically nothing. Normally we get rain in december, then january and febuary are dry and hopefully it starts raining again in march-may. I feel like that spring rain is important. It kinda fucks us on opening trails in the mountains, but it is important to help build the snow pack to get through summer. Down here where it doesn't snow its important to top of the reservoirs before the summer dry season.

Yesterday commute, 99 was closed north of Lodi. Even the detour streets were wet.
E6726FFB-FF2E-45B8-B625-CD3E94C31527.jpeg

Top Back Refresh