What's new

CA Smog Requirements for Truck Converted to RV

desertPOS

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I've looked into the requirements for registering a truck as an RV before, but my understanding was that your advantage in doing so was to not have to pay commercial registration fees and not really much else. Friend of mine is telling me that you can also bypass smog requirements as an RV - I feel like I would remember that (he was trying to satisfy those requirements on a F600 he use to have before he ended up selling it - that was diesel from the factory though, and maybe different in terms of smog?). Rig I'm looking at is a gas engine from the factory. What are the smog rules reregistering a gas truck/van as an RV? I just googled a bunch of stuff, and seems like pretty convoluted or conflicting results. SPECIFIC TO CA by the way:homer:

Specifics: Looking at a '77or '78 Chevy (or GMC?) Grumman-Olson Kurbmaster truck - has a Chevy 350 and TH350 in it, dually rear. Need to get some more specifics on it, but have family history riding around in it growing up - it's out of state at the moment but in decent shape. Would really like to go and get it, just wondering what options I've got for smog or repower in the future. Trying to google brings up nothing but RV forums posts and DMV pages that don't really seem to answer the question. Few AI articles that are all filler and conflicting information. Figured I'm better off just asking here:homer:

Random google image of similar:
img_2cDyIJfDaTqrRHl_r-3647671449.jpeg

Its a slew of nightmare ish loop holes and varying catagories of classifications.

I dont know about anything that would land an rv or "truck" of that age in a "smog exempt" status.

Most of that is going to be diesel and non comercial use. Now there is no diesel motor oe available in that time frame, for that vehicle, and even if there was, it was not originaly equiped with nor previously converted.

I have a buddy with a early 90s ford based rv and he just had to smog it (gas) and again, have never heard that a gas rv would be exempt simply because rv.

Id say your best bet to get out of smog is put some sort of presmog diesel in it, get it ref/bar'd and then you might possibly get yourself exempt, that is until they change the laws again.

Reactions: Clb
I bought my c60 (1976) for pretty cheap because it was a smoging, gas, sqr body chevy.
I have presmog vins and bodies so i had a way to get around smog issues.

With the way that "commercial trucks" are being smogged these days it would be 100% decom'd and stricken from the road forever.

Im not even sure that a "presmog" year would even get you around that without classic or the rv title brand.

Good to know - rig is currently sitting in Indiana. Any bonus points applied if getting RV status there before bringing it to CA? As opposed to bringing it to CA, then trying to get vin verified and smog legal checked off

Id say your best bet to get out of smog is put some sort of presmog diesel in it, get it ref/bar'd and then you might possibly get yourself exempt, that is until they change the laws again.

I've got a non-smog 6bt - does that help me? :flipoff2:

It might help. it may get you around the commercial smog situation which could kill the truck out right.

Its not just slap a diesel in it and its gtg.
#1, any motor has to be from a pickup, an rv/mdt/industrial motor will not work. They will check.
#2, it has to be 100% stock swap install. If it had a egr, it has to have it. If it had a charcoal can it has to have it. It has to be the same as the truck the motor came in and possibly pass smog to the standards it was held to at the time.
#3, it has to be a pre smog 6bt, if its a 98 12v or a 24v youre fucked. It would be held to that smog standard and put you right back into an active smog status

Good to know - rig is currently sitting in Indiana. Any bonus points applied if getting RV status there before bringing it to CA? As opposed to bringing it to CA, then trying to get vin verified and smog legal checked off

I've got a non-smog 6bt - does that help me? :flipoff2:
Do you have family in Indiana?

Register it out of state. That's about your best way forward. Use the out of state address forever.

Or buy the cheapest property you can find in a non smog County in California if you've got deep pockets

Or buy the cheapest property you can find in a non smog County in California if you've got deep pockets
That still doesn't get around the initial smog. That only works if it's all ready registered in Komifornia in your name.

Its a slew of nightmare ish loop holes and varying catagories of classifications.

I dont know about anything that would land an rv or "truck" of that age in a "smog exempt" status.

Most of that is going to be diesel and non comercial use. Now there is no diesel motor oe available in that time frame, for that vehicle, and even if there was, it was not originaly equiped with nor previously converted.

I have a buddy with a early 90s ford based rv and he just had to smog it (gas) and again, have never heard that a gas rv would be exempt simply because rv.

This exactly...

i went down this rabbit hole a couple years ago, i couldnt find the info i had seen back then when i tried to look again a couple months ago

BUT i remember an RV is just a regular vehicle, so whatever rules that apply to that truck no longer apply

Example: 1989 F600 diesel flatbed rules = needs 2010 or newer engine
1989 F600 diesel flatbed registered as RV rules = smog exempt

I also had found the requirements of what constitutes an RV, and from memory it was toilet, generator, stove, and non-removable living space

It did have a specific rule that semi trucks with sleeper cabs are voided from RV conversions

Get a 80,s CUCV, A M1008, M1028, M1031, M1010, M1008 has a standard bed you can put a camper on and is smog exempt.

I sold a M1008 CUCV Cab with paper for $1K as the vin has the code for diesel eng and at least at that time, pre fire, covid.

Just an example as dont know your 10/20 at time of posting this.

This one may be a M1028, it also has wiring at least for a plow.
The M1031 comes with a figure 8 np205 FYI.

At the time I had my CUCV's titled in/on calif once the truck was titled you could engine swap to what ever you wanted as never required to be smogged, cavete: at that time 2000-2005.

644b00db-e765-4b42-92e5-d9fd8c891297.jpg

a9442693-ebdd-4e64-ac21-cbe21f448739.jpg

KJ7O89C.jpg

Last edited:

The following vehicles are identified as housecars for registration purposes:

• Motorhome—A motor vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters, built as an integral part of, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van and includes a motorhome manufactured by a licensed motorhome manufacturer.

Motorhomes must contain permanently-installed independent life support systems which meet the criteria of the American National Standard Institute (ANSI) and provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating and/or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, a separate 110 to 125 volt electrical power supply and/or liquid petroleum (LP) gas supply. Van campers do not contain the permanently-installed independent life support systems identified by the ANSI for motorhomes.

Motorhomes that do not exceed 45 feet (540 inches) in overall length or 8.5 feet (102 inches) in width may be registered in California.

you also don't need a cdl or air brake endorsements to drive an RV

i went down this rabbit hole a couple years ago, i couldnt find the info i had seen back then when i tried to look again a couple months ago

BUT i remember an RV is just a regular vehicle, so whatever rules that apply to that truck no longer apply

Example: 1989 F600 diesel flatbed rules = needs 2010 or newer engine
1989 F600 diesel flatbed registered as RV rules = smog exempt

I also had found the requirements of what constitutes an RV, and from memory it was toilet, generator, stove, and non-removable living space

It did have a specific rule that semi trucks with sleeper cabs are voided from RV conversions
My .02
Swap that to gas and bang= smog required

My .02
Swap that to gas and bang= smog required
true, gas smog is 76+

but diesel smog is 98+ so that opens up some options

and now all the 2010 and older MD and HD trucks are no longer registerable in CA, so theres some cheaper older diesels to be saved

And yes CARB bullshit for large diesel trucks is retarded. My friend reclassified an older Semi truck to an RV since he uses it as a toter home/stacker trailer. He got pulled over WITHOUT the stacker trailer and the cop gave him a warning and said since it's an RV it needs to always be an RV and never just be the truck by itself. I also heard if you convert a box truck into a RV the cops could be a complete dick if you have tools or anything that wouldn't normally be in a RV aka motorhome.

And yes CARB bullshit for large diesel trucks is retarded. My friend reclassified an older Semi truck to an RV since he uses it as a toter home/stacker trailer. He got pulled over WITHOUT the stacker trailer and the cop gave him a warning and said since it's an RV it needs to always be an RV and never just be the truck by itself. I also heard if you convert a box truck into a RV the cops could be a complete dick if you have tools or anything that wouldn't normally be in a RV aka motorhome.
Same thing with converted horse trailers that are used to pull vehicles. Seen those around from time to time.

There is one big hangup with out of state reg.

In ca, if youre in ca for more than 30days you are supposed to reg in ca. This isnt generaly an issue but if you get stopped and it gets noted on the ticket youll have another prob on your hands.

No it is not a major issue but it is an issue to be aware of.

There's a loophole where you create an LLC in Montana, which you own, and title the car so it's owned by the Montana LLC. You're now driving a company vehicle. I guess it's somewhat common with supercars for tax reasons, and there's lawyers that sell this as a service including what to tell the cop if you're pulled over. It's another example of how taxes only affect the poor, and the rich find ways around them.

Reactions: Clb
There's a loophole where you create an LLC in Montana, which you own, and title the car so it's owned by the Montana LLC. You're now driving a company vehicle. I guess it's somewhat common with supercars for tax reasons, and there's lawyers that sell this as a service including what to tell the cop if you're pulled over. It's another example of how taxes only affect the poor, and the rich find ways around them.

On a $100,000 car it saves $1000-$2000 a year on property tax in VA, depending on local.

OP, Have you thought of importing a pre 75 Cab-over from NV? I've been told that they are abundant!!

So looking at this thread again - not just looking for something I can import. My best friend and I, when we were kids, went to work with his dad all the time in this truck. Misc trips around town, family camping trips, etc. - spent a lot of time in this truck. Got busted once for backing it up to their pool and jumping off the roof. Think it was a Mac tools truck - originally purchased here in CA, then taken to IN when they moved there in the early 90s. Anyway, he still has it, and mentioned wanting to get rid of it at some point in the next year, which is what got me looking things up/inspired this thread. He hasn't driven it in years, so I'm guessing it's on non-op, but need to call him and get some more exact details from him. Year/make/model/VIN/etc. Supposedly, he said it's in good enough shape to fix a few things and drive back (supposedly).

As I see it, my options are:

A) Go get the truck in Indiana, drive it back here to CA, register it in my name and just keep it as-is while making a plan on what to do with it. Sounds like it may not be possible to register it at all? If owned personally, not through a business - pretty sure it'd be under 10k lbs. Don't know what the options are there. Those trucks are basically one big all-aluminum body sitting on a steel frame - not sure if it makes a difference, but not a cab & chassis with a box on the back. If I get the VIN, can I figure out what registration would cost before-hand? Or is it just not able to be registered. I have not called DMV or a smog ref, but suppose that's what I should do next

B) Go get the truck in IN, drive it back here to CA, and just non-op it while I work on satisfying RV requirements. Would need to call my insurance and see what they require to insure it for the drive back, and probably have him pay the registration current in IN. Contact DMV and see what I have to do to retitle it in my name but put on non-op once it's here

C) I don't have a truck/trailer capable of towing it back, so rent/borrow something that can, and just go get it. All that solves is the legal issue of driving it back here and not having to worry about breakdowns, but would still want to make sure it's titled in my name. Doesn't seem like the most viable option

Once it's back here, I know the requirements for changing registration to an RV - and that's ultimately what I'd want to do with it anyway. Make it into a camping setup that can tow. Leaving the 350/th350 in it - it's not getting anywhere quickly, especially if it's towing a rig behind it. Supposedly gets 7mpg no matter around town or fwy - he thinks it has 3.73s in it

If I can figure a way to get it here, sounds like it'd be no different than any truck from that year in terms of swapping in same year or later gas engine, and going through a smog ref for the swap. Or swap in a pre-smog diesel, also going through smog ref to get it retitled as a non-smog diesel. I've never payed registration on a commercial vehicle, just know it's a lot more expensive, and also have never imported a vehicle from out of state. It's unfortunate that it's not just a few years older

In terms of diesel swap - I've got a 6bt sitting here that I've been thinking about putting in a presmog Dodge I have, which would be 0 hoops to jump through. I'd rather put it in the ol' Kurbmaster if there was a way to do it. It's a retired pump engine though, so probably not a viable candidate for anything that would have to be inspected or looked at by a ref:homer:

That is definitely a concern, and worth noting

There is one big hangup with out of state reg.

In ca, if youre in ca for more than 30days you are supposed to reg in ca. This isnt generaly an issue but if you get stopped and it gets noted on the ticket youll have another prob on your hands.

No it is not a major issue but it is an issue to be aware of.

That's what always turned me off to trying something like that. If it was a low profile vehicle, sure, but anything that stands out - like a beat up rock crawler - seems like just begging to get a warning, then be seen again by the same LEO later and turn into a hassle. My '85 Toyota is a pain in the ass to smog

Anyone have a presmog Grumman-Olson Kurbmaster vin? Asking for a friend:grinpimp:

You won't be able to non-op it in California in your name until you finish transferring the title. And that will require you to pass smog.

So looking at this thread again - not just looking for something I can import. My best friend and I, when we were kids, went to work with his dad all the time in this truck. Misc trips around town, family camping trips, etc. - spent a lot of time in this truck. Got busted once for backing it up to their pool and jumping off the roof. Think it was a Mac tools truck - originally purchased here in CA, then taken to IN when they moved there in the early 90s. Anyway, he still has it, and mentioned wanting to get rid of it at some point in the next year, which is what got me looking things up/inspired this thread. He hasn't driven it in years, so I'm guessing it's on non-op, but need to call him and get some more exact details from him. Year/make/model/VIN/etc. Supposedly, he said it's in good enough shape to fix a few things and drive back (supposedly).

As I see it, my options are:

A) Go get the truck in Indiana, drive it back here to CA, register it in my name and just keep it as-is while making a plan on what to do with it. Sounds like it may not be possible to register it at all? If owned personally, not through a business - pretty sure it'd be under 10k lbs. Don't know what the options are there. Those trucks are basically one big all-aluminum body sitting on a steel frame - not sure if it makes a difference, but not a cab & chassis with a box on the back. If I get the VIN, can I figure out what registration would cost before-hand? Or is it just not able to be registered. I have not called DMV or a smog ref, but suppose that's what I should do next

B) Go get the truck in IN, drive it back here to CA, and just non-op it while I work on satisfying RV requirements. Would need to call my insurance and see what they require to insure it for the drive back, and probably have him pay the registration current in IN. Contact DMV and see what I have to do to retitle it in my name but put on non-op once it's here

C) I don't have a truck/trailer capable of towing it back, so rent/borrow something that can, and just go get it. All that solves is the legal issue of driving it back here and not having to worry about breakdowns, but would still want to make sure it's titled in my name. Doesn't seem like the most viable option

Once it's back here, I know the requirements for changing registration to an RV - and that's ultimately what I'd want to do with it anyway. Make it into a camping setup that can tow. Leaving the 350/th350 in it - it's not getting anywhere quickly, especially if it's towing a rig behind it. Supposedly gets 7mpg no matter around town or fwy - he thinks it has 3.73s in it

If I can figure a way to get it here, sounds like it'd be no different than any truck from that year in terms of swapping in same year or later gas engine, and going through a smog ref for the swap. Or swap in a pre-smog diesel, also going through smog ref to get it retitled as a non-smog diesel. I've never payed registration on a commercial vehicle, just know it's a lot more expensive, and also have never imported a vehicle from out of state. It's unfortunate that it's not just a few years older

In terms of diesel swap - I've got a 6bt sitting here that I've been thinking about putting in a presmog Dodge I have, which would be 0 hoops to jump through. I'd rather put it in the ol' Kurbmaster if there was a way to do it. It's a retired pump engine though, so probably not a viable candidate for anything that would have to be inspected or looked at by a ref:homer:

That is definitely a concern, and worth noting

That's what always turned me off to trying something like that. If it was a low profile vehicle, sure, but anything that stands out - like a beat up rock crawler - seems like just begging to get a warning, then be seen again by the same LEO later and turn into a hassle. My '85 Toyota is a pain in the ass to smog

Anyone have a presmog Grumman-Olson Kurbmaster vin? Asking for a friend:grinpimp:
I know where a early 60s is on a wc dodge 4x4 chassis. Way the fuck up here though

Top Back Refresh