What's new

CA Smog Requirements for Truck Converted to RV

Register it in South Dakota if you have the pink slip in hand. Then you can take the South Dakota title to the CA DMV to get it registered in cali but again that will require smog. All my vehicles are registered in south dakota and have been for many years without any problems.

Reactions: PAE
What does South Dakota want to know beyond info about truck ?

Do they want the owner to have a SD license ?

Register it in South Dakota if you have the pink slip in hand. Then you can take the South Dakota title to the CA DMV to get it registered in cali but again that will require smog. All my vehicles are registered in south dakota and have been for many years without any problems.

Last edited:

Even if ultimate goal was to get CA registration one day, that seems like it'd be a good option for getting all in my name/legal/insured/drivable. Looks like Vermont could be an option as well - according to this article at least

Keep in mind once your "Vehicle" is titled / registered with the POS state Of California, you cannot unregister it.

There is no form nor process to do this.

They do a process called nonop but there is a fee for that

Keep in mind once your "Vehicle" is titled / registered with the POS state Of California, you cannot unregister it.

There is no form nor process to do this.

They do a process called nonop but there is a fee for that

You can sell it to a made up name who can write you a bill of sale in the future

Tried that, it didn't work SOC wanted address and phone # etc.

A release of liability might work provided there is verifiable info that can be input on form.

Better still is to put the trucks / cars in a trust and the trustee can be changed at will.

You can sell it to a made up name who can write you a bill of sale in the future

Last edited:
My old dodge truck registration was expired for 6 months before I moved to AZ. Registered it there and then when I came back to cali all the late fee's and everything were gone from that truck.

Also I have tried the bill of sale stuff before at one DMV and it didn't work, so I left and immediately went to a different DMV without any problems. It's kinda luck of the draw with who helps you at the DMV and how nice they are feeling that day sometimes.

I've looked into the requirements for registering a truck as an RV before, but my understanding was that your advantage in doing so was to not have to pay commercial registration fees and not really much else. Friend of mine is telling me that you can also bypass smog requirements as an RV - I feel like I would remember that (he was trying to satisfy those requirements on a F600 he use to have before he ended up selling it - that was diesel from the factory though, and maybe different in terms of smog?). Rig I'm looking at is a gas engine from the factory. What are the smog rules reregistering a gas truck/van as an RV? I just googled a bunch of stuff, and seems like pretty convoluted or conflicting results. SPECIFIC TO CA by the way:homer:

Specifics: Looking at a '77or '78 Chevy (or GMC?) Grumman-Olson Kurbmaster truck - has a Chevy 350 and TH350 in it, dually rear. Need to get some more specifics on it, but have family history riding around in it growing up - it's out of state at the moment but in decent shape. Would really like to go and get it, just wondering what options I've got for smog or repower in the future. Trying to google brings up nothing but RV forums posts and DMV pages that don't really seem to answer the question. Few AI articles that are all filler and conflicting information. Figured I'm better off just asking here:homer:

Random google image of similar:
img_2cDyIJfDaTqrRHl_r-3647671449.jpeg
I got bored and started looking for step vans in the far norcal. Theres a fuck ton up here that are pre gas smog, pre diesel smog, running, not, cheap, med $, p chassis, mdt chassis, and a couple that were already rv status.

For what your going to spend to get that non compliant nightmare from indiana you could drive one home in a weekend

Also a fwiw
If you are at dmv and you don't get a good result, walk out and get back in line.
The next guy may offer a different experience.
Example
I had a transfer they wanted $400 in extortion, I said no and waked out , later rethinking it went back into the building and the next guy hit me for the basic transfer $$$ ( like $50)...
Ymmv

Also a fwiw
If you are at dmv and you don't get a good result, walk out and get back in line.
Example
I had a transfer they wanted $400 in extortion, I said no and waked out , later rethinking it went back into the building and the next guy hit me for the basic transfer $$$ ( like $50)...
Ymmv
Yep, different experiences and prices depending on who you see

It doesn't always work, though. The DMV workers can be audited later on, and you can get hit with additional fees if they screwed up.

I got bored and started looking for step vans in the far norcal. Theres a fuck ton up here that are pre gas smog, pre diesel smog, running, not, cheap, med $, p chassis, mdt chassis, and a couple that were already rv status.

For what your going to spend to get that non compliant nightmare from indiana you could drive one home in a weekend

You're definitely not wrong. I think if everything went smoothly, I could potentially have it registered and sitting here in CA for hopefully around $4k. Although it'd be a project to then turn it into what I want. Getting it back here could also turn into a giant pain in the ass. Hoping to dig into more of the details this week at some point. For now, seems worth figuring out exactly what options are if I can. Not 100% on going to get it at this point

I've searched all kinds of variations of "Grumman" "Olson" "Kurbmaster" etc... What search terms were you using, out of curiosity?

It doesn't always work, though. The DMV workers can be audited later on, and you can get hit with additional fees if they screwed up.

It does work that way though. Ive probably registered and or sold at least 20-30 sketchy trucks and trailers and always get a totally different experience. I did have to pay more after the fact 1 time but that was my fault. Ive also never gotten a refund.

We used to have a female member here (the old place) who worked at the dmv for a long time who would regularly help out with the "workarounds" and awkward stuff.

Reactions: Clb
Never gotten a refund on something that they fuktup on

Also never got back charged.
Cold it happen ?
Nothing is out of suckremento's pervasive greed

Reactions: PAE
Also a fwiw
Example
Ymmv

Same experience I've had as well. They wanted $950 because 3 years back registration. So I got a new bill of sale from owner with the date BEFORE the registration was expired and took that in and first lady wanted to charge me the back fee's for every year, the next day I went in and the lady waived all back fee's and just charged me the unpaid registration for the 3 years, plus current transfer fee etc, so it saved me $650 or so.

Top Back Refresh