What's new

Build Log: 2006 Audi A4 Avant Stealth 24" sub build.

so what was your spl?

I dont have the attention span to watch for 30 minutes.. lol.. but I did watch some
Why does this not surprise me?

You should have it was interesting to see his shirt moving simple from the sound waves

Last edited:
so what was your spl?

I dont have the attention span to watch for 30 minutes.. lol.. but I did watch some

200.gif

Beat me to it. :lmao:

:flipoff2:

Got this thing back from Line-X.

The 1/2" square tube frame was fully welded then expanded metal was cut/fitted/welded to the frame.

Every. Single. Contact. Point. was welded top and bottom. Hundreds of fucking welds.

Line-X ensures that if, by some-odd chance a weld breaks, it won't rattle at all.

_nc_ohc=8tb-Jon71pcAX8-zG8i&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Since the floor is built from 1/2" square tube steel, this allowed me to put squares of 1/2" thick Second Skin Mega Zorbe in under the main section of the false floor to absorb road noise. The cone of the sub was the only thing to block road noise through the hole in the floor.

This doesn't bother the output from the sub and the floor is nice and flat between the frame and Mega Zorbe.
3D259742-C3B9-48D2-85A9-BC958C1E95B5.jpeg

Black foam-backed suede was installed on the entire bottom of the false floor.
_nc_ohc=ozI00KXdyosAX8B-Fgs&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Then it's just a matter of the same Mercedes carpet on the top side to finish it off.
_nc_ohc=8qbYYkF28R4AX8dsu-a&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=HT5MRp-EV78AX8qY8a0&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Two 20" 35 lb gas struts were used to raise the floor.
_nc_ohc=dEk87tSiMIMAX_8wliE&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Took it to Stereo Integrity yesterday and met with the owner and crew of Second Skin. They also did a Sundown After Dark episode with Bryan.
_nc_ohc=2o932u48hgsAX_Wy6rR&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

I also brought back a nice intake from ECS Tuning that will go on the car.
_nc_ohc=MgdqI_Syuo0AX9BIYvV&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

With the false floor (and big-ass new intake in the cargo area) in the car still gets windy and moves your hair/clothes. :laughing:

Had surveyors in front of the house today and they heard it playing as I pulled up. I let them hear it and gave them the windy SPL demo.

"What on earth do you have in this car?"

I opened the hatch and showed them that I was carrying the ECS intake. One of the guys thought that was the enclosure. I removed the intake from the car and they were scratching their heads. Lifted the floor and they were blown away.

This car is a lot of fun. Going to be a ton of fun messing with people now that the floor is in.

Last edited:
That came out looking like it was factory.

Aaron Z

That was the intent from the beginning. The head unit is the only thing in the car that doesn't appear stock.
Nick originally wanted to do a SQL-15 but once I saw the opening in the spare tire well with that hump for the EVAP canister removed I knew a 24 had to go in.

This car wouldn't be anything like it is now if I had gone with Nick's original plan.

I told him the most dangerous thing someone can tell me is "Build it like it's your own car"

He did exactly that. :homer:

How long do you expect the sub to survive open to the road? I can't remember if you discussed this already and I'm going all artisan :emb:

it's heavy and not actually solid, full of holes and fabric

It's full of stars.

Oh, is he asking how the floor doesn't rattle?

Literally every single contact point of that expanded metal was welded top and bottom. Then sent to Line-X so that if a weld breaks, the Line-X ensures it won't rattle. It weighs 27 1/2 lbs with Line-X. Overkill with the welds and then redundancy with the Line-X.

As the pics show, there's foam-backed suede on the lower floor section that trims out the amp/sub floor as well as on the bottom of the steel floor. That's a total of 1/4" of foam-backed suede between the two pieces. On the top of the floor is the Mercedes carpet. There are no hard surface to hard surface contact points.

How long do you expect the sub to survive open to the road? I can't remember if you discussed this already and I'm going all artisan :emb:

Well, it's been running for months. Water isn't an issue. An upcoming video will show the protection that's going on the bottom of the car.

As the pics show, there's foam-backed suede on the lower floor section that trims out the amp/sub floor as well as on the bottom of the steel floor. That's a total of 1/4" of foam-backed suede between the two pieces. On the top of the floor is the Mercedes carpet. There are no hard surface to hard surface contact points.
Yea, I was asking about the floor. With the suede covering the bottom of the structure it seems like the air movement would try to lift it vs blow through. Absolutely stunning work:smokin:

Yea, I was asking about the floor. With the suede covering the bottom of the structure it seems like the air movement would try to lift it vs blow through. Absolutely stunning work:smokin:

Thanks, man.

It doesn't lift at all and there's enough air movement that it's windy in the car.

So directly over the sub is 1/8" foam-backed suede and 1/2" melamine foam...then carpet. It doesn't care.:laughing:

Welp...thermal city. :laughing:

The 200.4 that we're using to power the sub likes to thermal (it is Class AB after all) with the floor down...and I can't have the floor up with the hatch closed.
Time for an overly complicated cooling solution.

The simple thing to do would be vent the subwoofer section and the amp section together. :homer:

Top Back Refresh