What's new

BLM closes 317 miles of OHV trails in Moab on Saturday.

Bonanza

Member Number

'The worst defeat motorized recreation has suffered in decades"

Cliffs:

-Land Management will permanently close 317 miles of off road trails in Moab beginning Saturday.
-Saturday's closures are 3 of 11 total areas BLM plans to close. More closures will follow soon.
-The trails are not expected to re-open.
-The closed trails represent approximately 33% of all available off-road trails in the Moab area.
-The red lines on the map are the newly closed trails

1698277818555.png

Damn, that's huge.

BLM is so far gone from their way. Seemed like they decently held out from going full epa or atf nonsense.

When wheeling becomes outlawed, outlaws we will be. 20 years and everybody will be jealous of the private east of rockies parks and nobody will know about public land

This is old news. It’s fucking bullshit, there’s a land grab all over the country right now. 2 spots in Idaho, I believe 2 in Utah, 1 in Montana, 1 in AZ and that’s all I know of. I’m sure there’s more under the radar

This is old news. It’s fucking bullshit, there’s a land grab all over the country right now. 2 spots in Idaho, I believe 2 in Utah, 1 in Montana, 1 in AZ and that’s all I know of. I’m sure there’s more under the radar

This is Irate 4x4. I figured we could take a break from viewing other member's nutsacks (See, Cool photos thread, p.2) to remind everyone the very genesis of why we are gathered on one small spot of the internet to share a common hobby is under attack and won't simply solve itself. I donate a fair amount of money to CA based OHV groups that sue for similar issues. What happens in Utah happens everywhere, it's the same BLM.

This year, Moab, next year, Hammers.

Lawsuits aren't cheap, and these advocacy groups need money to fight back. Just a gentle reminder that on Saturday, everyone wakes up with far less OHV land we went to sleep with. Public land. Our land. Well, no one's land now.

Didn't know it was signed off a while back, thought it was announced and comment period stuff still.

It's been aggressive for the past couple years

There was a thread in the land use section when this came out. Everyone here was all gonzo about it and we were gonna kick their ass. Well, BLM strayed away from the 3 options they were proposing, and went with their own decision which resulted in a much larger loss to the OHVers.

With the way the city of Moab has went anti OHV, Ive no doubt there were palms greased. This was a huge loss. :mad3:

Bitchin about it here is too little, too late.

This is Irate 4x4. I figured we could take a break from viewing other member's nutsacks (See, Cool photos thread, p.2) to remind everyone the very genesis of why we are gathered on one small spot of the internet to share a common hobby is under attack and won't simply solve itself. I donate a fair amount of money to CA based OHV groups that sue for similar issues. What happens in Utah happens everywhere, it's the same BLM.

This year, Moab, next year, Hammers.

Lawsuits aren't cheap, and these advocacy groups need money to fight back. Just a gentle reminder that on Saturday, everyone wakes up with far less OHV land we went to sleep with. Public land. Our land. Well, no one's land now.

There was another thread about it and it was during a time that we could still write in, donate to the cause and try to fight it. The Hammers is safe. Jeff Knoll talked about it on a podcast. After the marine debacle, he set out and fought for the hammers with lawyers and money. He talked about how it’s now a protected OHV area like a designated wilderness area. Listen to it on the talent tank podcast - Jeff Knoll episode.
Bolt cutters and civil disobedience.
This. Many have fought with money and facts but the decisions made don’t reflect that. Look at pismo beach, the entire argument was that OHV use is the reason for “increased” sand particles in the air off the beach. During covid, ohv use was shutdown and the sand particle count was UP. The entire argument was ohv caused this when they didn’t. The facts were ignored and they closed it down anyways. They had to fight AFTER the decision was made based on lies and finally it’s back open. We shouldn’t have to continue a fight after the main argument was proved false. I’m over it, so disobedience is where I’m at.

The absolute dumbest part was many of these were closed because "The Trails were NOT USED Enough". :flipoff:

Disobedience is the only thing that's gonna work now.
Such BS. If they weren’t used enough the road would disappear to vegetation. They can fuck off.

OP, I didn’t mean to dismiss this as old news. It’s good we talk about it regardless. We need to fight the fight but unfortunately it’s over for this one. I think BRC is going to veto it somehow and fight more.

There was another thread about it and it was during a time that we could still write in, donate to the cause and try to fight it. The Hammers is safe. Jeff Knoll talked about it on a podcast. After the marine debacle, he set out and fought for the hammers with lawyers and money. He talked about how it’s now a protected OHV area like a designated wilderness area. Listen to it on the talent tank podcast - Jeff Knoll episode.

This. Many have fought with money and facts but the decisions made don’t reflect that. Look at pismo beach, the entire argument was that OHV use is the reason for “increased” sand particles in the air off the beach. During covid, ohv use was shutdown and the sand particle count was UP. The entire argument was ohv caused this when they didn’t. The facts were ignored and they closed it down anyways. They had to fight AFTER the decision was made based on lies and finally it’s back open. We shouldn’t have to continue a fight after the main argument was proved false. I’m over it, so disobedience is where I’m at.
And you fully believe the gov will never renig on that? Lol. It's just a matter of time before they just say fuck all y'all and do it anyways.

The comment period for any blm action is bullshit. They already have made all decisions by then and are just going through the motions making idiots think they have a chance and a voice.

Most of the land use groups don't do diddly shit anymore. They take money and never get anything positive done.

Didn't this close trails in this area to mountain biking as well? Seems like I saw that from one guy that wheels and bikes too.

I know you posted the map of the trails that are closed but has anyone ever seen a list? We are headed to Moab next May and it would be nice to know what trails are off limits now. I think the reason they didn't axe Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher and the other big name trails is they are so popular the blowback from everyone would have been huge. So they just axe some of the lesser known trails that most people don't run then slowly chip away at the more popular stuff. :flipoff:

With the way the city of Moab has went anti OHV

Yeah, I just read yesterday that they unanimously denied the event permit for the annual Bronco Safari in May (which predates the new Bronco by 10+ years) :shaking:

I know you posted the map of the trails that are closed but has anyone ever seen a list? We are headed to Moab next May and it would be nice to know what trails are off limits now. I think the reason they didn't axe Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher and the other big name trails is they are so popular the blowback from everyone would have been huge. So they just axe some of the lesser known trails that most people don't run then slowly chip away at the more popular stuff. :flipoff:

That is exactly the game plan. The press releases from the BLM were going on about how none of the Jeep Safari routes were being closed as if those are the only high-value trails for motorized recreation. :mad3:

I saw a list posted a while ago, it is mostly random two tracks and lesser known trails, but there were a few significant closures.

Here's a quote I stole from an article that was originally from a member of a Colorado land use organization:
“There’s no other way to say this. This travel plan is the worst defeat motorized recreation has suffered in decades. SUWA won. Moab is lost. Almost every major trail west of Moab is closed, including Day Canyon Point, Hey Joe Canyon, Mashed Potatoes, Ten Mile Canyon, Hell Roaring Canyon, Mineral Canyon, Hidden Canyon, 7-Up, two of the three overlooks on Deadman Point, and many more. Poison Spider, Golden Spike, 7 Mile Rim, 3D, Buttes and Towers, Hell Roaring Rim, and Metal Masher will stay open but that’s about it.

“All motorized access to the Green River except for county B roads is closed. Most overlooks on the rims of Labyrinth Canyon, 10 Mile Canyon, Taylor Canyon, and South Fork 7 Mile Canyon are closed. For no other reason than the fact the BLM decided to completely reverse course and prioritize non-motorized recreation everywhere there is anything remotely scenic, contrary to the express direction of their own resource management plan. I thought this would be bad, but I never dreamed it would be this bad.”

That's what the rednecks down here tend to do. Forest service can't seem to keep the locks on the gates intact.
Hapoened in my area as well during covid they closed some roads because “lack of staff to maintain”! There is a chalkboard in town about seasonal road closures. The very next day the locks were cut and the chalkboard was changed by an unidentified individual. They came out and relocked it once. Same result.

Then they will say, over use is causing us to close these popular trails. They are creating their own issues. That’s what the gov does

That is exactly the game plan. The press releases from the BLM were going on about how none of the Jeep Safari routes were being closed as if those are the only high-value trails for motorized recreation. :mad3:
Jeep probably pays them off. I would too if I ran Jeep.

While at Trail Hero, Ben Burr, executive director of BRC spoke about this. He believes it will be in court for years but wasn't real optimistic.

He talked about the trails not being used and BRC has produced a book of lost trails. I can't seem to find a way to order it but,

We sat with Ben at the Gala and he was captivating in his discussion. I don't know how he as the willpower to keep fighting.

RE comments above about disobedience, we also sat with Phil Lyman who is running for governor of Utah. He was SENT TO JAIL for intentional trespass on Federal Land. This guy has balls.
San Juan County commissioner’s conviction upheld over Recapture Canyon protest ride
How many here are actually willing to do that. Yeah, you can sneak in and trespass but are you willing to go to jail for it? I suspect no.

While at Trail Hero, Ben Burr, executive director of BRC spoke about this. He believes it will be in court for years but wasn't real optimistic.

He talked about the trails not being used and BRC has produced a book of lost trails. I can't seem to find a way to order it but,

We sat with Ben at the Gala and he was captivating in his discussion. I don't know how he as the willpower to keep fighting.

RE comments above about disobedience, we also sat with Phil Lyman who is running for governor of Utah. He was SENT TO JAIL for intentional trespass on Federal Land. This guy has balls.
San Juan County commissioner’s conviction upheld over Recapture Canyon protest ride
How many here are actually willing to do that. Yeah, you can sneak in and trespass but are you willing to go to jail for it? I suspect no.
It's easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and talk like a badass but I have already had talks with my wife that if/when trail closures happen in my area, I will not comply. I will fight the good fight and have been. I spent hours on a computer looking up trail by trail explaining why we need each trail. That was a suggestion of Ben Burr for the Idaho land under attack but I wont comply.

This is the problem with America nowadays. Steal $999 a day and you dont go to jail in CA but go on some federal land that they closed and you can go to jail.

The absolute dumbest part was many of these were closed because "The Trails were NOT USED Enough". :flipoff:

Disobedience is the only thing that's gonna work now.

Cordless m18 band saw, and a section of the gate needs to dissappear.

That's what happens around here, or the gate gets fully torn out of the ground:laughing:

Top Back Refresh