What's new

Black box ecobox using chain drive guts!

So I may be dumb! But I have a buddy that’s been trying for years to get an extra case in his 05 with a 6 speed manual. Never been able to make it work. And he has $ even atlas cash. Will this fit behind 6speed manual?* edit its a taco
If I under correctly, yes. My buddy also has an 06 Taco and has been looking at making his own adapters to add a crawl box without having to drop the money for an Atlas.

I sent this over to him the other day.

So I may be dumb! But I have a buddy that’s been trying for years to get an extra case in his 05 with a 6 speed manual. Never been able to make it work. And he has $ even atlas cash. Will this fit behind 6speed manual?* edit its a taco
Yes, that's what it's for. He can then chose from a variety of tcases to put behind it. Including another stock case or an atlas.

This is a nice looking option. Would have went a completely different route if I seen this a few months ago.

Spent a bunch of money going 22r, W56 bell, W59 trans, AA adapter, 4speed atlas

This is a nice looking option. Would have went a completely different route if I seen this a few months ago.

Spent a bunch of money going 22r, W56 bell, W59 trans, AA adapter, 4speed atlas

Just for an example, since I think some aren't clear on how this works, what would you have done?

I'm guessing 22r>w56 bell>w59>EcoCrawler>2spd atlas?

You could have done a w56>gear drive crawlbox>AA atlas adapte>2spd atlas but I've heard of issues with that adapter since, in typical AA fashion they cut corners to save money and made it 2 pieces :homer:

Bumping this for anyone that has run this. It's not cheap and I was quoted a 10 week lead time. Anyone have problems getting what they ordered?

I ordered mine at the end of September last year and got it in February sometime. It's still sitting in a box in the garage, so the long lead time didn't bother me. They always answered my emails right away and kept me up to speed on what was going on. Very satisfied.

so in theory this could be used with a 205 and 241 and adapted to the toyota tranny, or chevy tranny. just thoughts i have been tossing around but not sure it would be gear enough for crawling with a 22r, and then would the tcase combo be longer than the duals i have now. ponderous:beer::emb3: man. :*)

so in theory this could be used with a 205 and 241 and adapted to the toyota tranny, or chevy tranny. just thoughts i have been tossing around but not sure it would be gear enough for crawling with a 22r, and then would the tcase combo be longer than the duals i have now. ponderous:beer::emb3: man. :*)

Not sure what you mean by 241.

It's not meant to go behind a Chevy trans. The idea is to use the stock trans that came in front of the chain drive and either double up stock cases or use it as an adapter to run a different tcase behind it.

I can agree that ~5.3:1 (this box and a 205) or whatever isn't low enough for a 4cyl with a manual, but you would probably be great with an auto.

Not sure what you mean by longer?

You drunk? :flipoff2:

I imagine that this is priced right when you consider the cost of an adapter, input(s) and dual gear drives. But, it still seems over priced. Keep in mind a second case will need to be purchased to go with it. A good amount of options to suit guys converting to danas, ill give it that. Saves on special conversion flanges. It should have provisions for a factory mount. They should also make a skid plate that works with there product and another chain drive case.

Not sure what you mean by 241.

It's not meant to go behind a Chevy trans. The idea is to use the stock trans that came in front of the chain drive and either double up stock cases or use it as an adapter to run a different tcase behind it.

I can agree that ~5.3:1 (this box and a 205) or whatever isn't low enough for a 4cyl with a manual, but you would probably be great with an auto.

Not sure what you mean by longer?

You drunk? :flipoff2:
not too drunk, but the 241 is a tcase that you use when doing the 205 eco box, use the planetary from that one, if i recall it replaced the 208 tcase. 241/205 length compared to toyota dual tcase. thats the length. again just talking out ideas :beer:

I was part of the preorder (ecobox + triple shifters), got my ecobox in November but just got my triple shifters on Monday. Planning to install everything this weekend.

i-KHMmKH9-XL.jpg

Dude that thing is sexy! How did the install go? Looks like a really high quality piece, I am seriously looking at one of these.

Dude that thing is sexy! How did the install go? Looks like a really high quality piece, I am seriously looking at one of these.
Didn't have much time this weekend so it isn't installed yet, but my driveshafts are off and my old transfer case is ready to come out, I'll probably do that this afternoon. I expect to have it all back together by Wednesday as long as I get my modded driveshafts back in time from the local shop. Building the cases was pretty easy to be honest, no special tools needed other than a 3-jaw puller which I rented from AutoZone.

So you got an eco-crawler right, not an eco-box. Are you using vf2 parts and transfer case?

Looking at NWF's website, this is the EcoCrawler, not the EcoBox (I got the two mixed up). It's made from VF2A parts and the transfer case is a VF2A case. Stock it came with a VF3AM case ("multi-mode" which had an AWD function / center locking diff), that's gone now.

I was definitely expecting a more built rig :laughing:

I have a very similar rig and am a little curious about how everything fit. Still have the rear heater? Interior pics? Did you keep your stock rear case or upgrade to a newer style?

It ain't much now, but It'll be going under the knife next month getting superduty axles.

Everything is fitting fine except the 2WD/4WD shifter has a bolt on the rear part of the case that's rubbing just slightly on the body (passenger side). It could easily be massaged in, but I'm just going to live with it for the next month. Yes, still have the rear heater.

i-NkQ3GLx-XL.jpg

Still figuring out the shifter boots / covers.

Looking at NWF's website, this is the EcoCrawler, not the EcoBox (I got the two mixed up). It's made from VF2A parts and the transfer case is a VF2A case. Stock it came with a VF3AM case ("multi-mode" which had an AWD function / center locking diff), that's gone now.

It ain't much now, but It'll be going under the knife next month getting superduty axles.

Everything is fitting fine except the 2WD/4WD shifter has a bolt on the rear part of the case that's rubbing just slightly on the body (passenger side). It could easily be massaged in, but I'm just going to live with it for the next month. Yes, still have the rear heater.

Still figuring out the shifter boots / covers.
Gotcha, I think I would skip the twin sticks for my use anyway. I figured the stock shifter location should be able to work for the crawl box, then rear case comes out of the ebrake pocket? :confused:

Gotcha, I think I would skip the twin sticks for my use anyway. I figured the stock shifter location should be able to work for the crawl box, then rear case comes out of the ebrake pocket? :confused:
I'm sure you could make that work

i have an automatic 2004 tacoma. If I do an ecocrawler and an np205, what would I do with the speed sensor at the back of the t case? Is there a way to convert the np205 to Toyota 4 pulse VSS? I know people make electronic VSS conversions for np205 but that’s to a gm 30 pulse or something.

i have an automatic 2004 tacoma. If I do an ecocrawler and an np205, what would I do with the speed sensor at the back of the t case? Is there a way to convert the np205 to Toyota 4 pulse VSS? I know people make electronic VSS conversions for np205 but that’s to a gm 30 pulse or something.

Can you switch over the the 4 runner wheel sensor system?

My buddy put a 205 in his tacoma years ago, I texted him to see what he did.

Can you switch over the the 4 runner wheel sensor system?

My buddy put a 205 in his tacoma years ago, I texted him to see what he did.
I dont really care about the ABS at the axles (plus I’m going 14 bolt and there isn’t a spot for them on those anyway) But there is a speed sensor at the back of the Tacoma chain drive t case. I’ve looked around the internet and struggling to find what I’d do with that. I know people are tuning them, just not sure what they’re doing.

Here's what he said:

I forget what one I got. But I'm pretty sure it was just some gm sensor that came in like a late 70s or 80s gm truck. That then went to a Dakota digital module that you set whatever teeth you have and then send it to speedo out to the factory speedo. And with the Dakota digital module you can accurately set your speed so it's dead on. Pretty slick set up

anybody else grab one of these?

I thought about using one to swap a 3.4/auto into my crawler with the atlas on the back, but it's actually cheaper to buy the atlas adapter and an eco box :laughing: Then you have to use cable shifters on the atlas.

Still a cool option, but hard to pencil out depending on options.

I thought about using one to swap a 3.4/auto into my crawler with the atlas on the back, but it's actually cheaper to buy the atlas adapter and an eco box :laughing: Then you have to use cable shifters on the atlas.

kerleyfries just did one in front of a 4.7 gear drive case to get passenger drop on his 3.4 4Runner

I have one on order for my 3.4 auto, just waiting for it to ship

Top Back Refresh