What's new

Black box ecobox using chain drive guts!

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID

This is a sweet option imo. Use your stock case guts, and run whatever case behind it you want with extra adapters! :smokin:

This plus a ford 205 would be awesome in a tacoma/4runner with 1 tons.

Last edited:
Meh:flipoff2:f1a
chain drive whoohoo
Still nuthing for the r f1a

but helzyes bout time SOMEONE DID SOMETHING

Meh:flipoff2:f1a
chain drive whoohoo
Still nuthing for the r f1a

but helzyes bout time SOMEONE DID SOMETHING

Wut ta fuk u sey?

Rf1a is standard gear drive? They offer that as a rear case.

It's a killer option for anyone who doesn't have a trans with a factory gear drive behind it. Which has become the vast majority of Toyotas these days, any V6 any auto and anything 96+.

Manual tacoma wanting lower gear guys could even run a 4:1 Rubicon case.

OK, looks like not any auto

VF1: 88-95 4-Runner/Pickup (Does Not Fit 22RE Manual Transmission)(Does Not Fit 3VZ-FE Automatic Transmission)
VF2: 96-02 4-Runner, 95.5-04 Tacoma, 00-06 Tundra
VF4: 03+ 4-Runner, 05+ Tacoma, 06+ FJ Cruiser, 03+ Lexus GX, 01-07 Sequoia

Curious to see people running this :smokin:

My point is more along the line of'
we (yota guys) don't seem super stolked about the chain drive tcase
unless yer name is big mike:laughing:
But anything to give an option rocks.
The case does look nice, gawd knows we need some support!

My point is more along the line of'
we (yota guys) don't seem super stolked about the chain drive tcase
unless yer name is big mike:laughing:
But anything to give an option rocks.
The case does look nice, gawd knows we need some support!

You really have no idea what that product is, do you? :flipoff2:

For those that never venture out of the 80s Toyota realm. It's the Toyota version of the nwf eco box. You use the super strong planitary reduction unit from the stock case and throw everything else away, including the chain. What case you run behind it is up to you. You stock chain drive case, a newer chain drive case, a gear drive Toyota case, np205, atlas D300, and probably a few other round 6 tcases.

It's not going to make sense if you have a 22r/re manual with a gear drive case already. But most any other Toyota trans it's a killer option.

This is really what marlin should have made about 20 years ago
This!! Less bearings in there, probably doesn't get as hot as the surface of the sun on the highway, it's quiet, less fluid spewing everywhere. So excited for this product and it's no longer wait for eons for marlin parts, fail gear or mortgage the house for an Atlas as your tcase options.

Suddenly the price of Tacoma chain drive cases shot up LOL!! (Don't know for a fact just joking...)

Guess I should fire up a puter and look these over!
Edit
Man we need to get a copy of the bible built.
So without a big long "sirch" looks like it's limited to late model 22re's ?
Yea I see 84 up....:confused:
I have a w56, aint buying one myself how ever seeing how most guy's have second gen trucks and first gen runners this is great.
A Trans to case bolt pattern diagram would rock on their site as we don't all have "stock rigs anymore.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
You still won’t be able to run it in your first gen unless you have a g52(weird that their site says that and I don’t understand, but not up on old trannys) or you upgrade to an r150 with an aa bellhousing. Either way I’m now kicking myself for dumping $2600 into duals for my Sc 3.4 swap when I could have been into it for the same money with way less bullshit.

That being said, all my stuff is new and never run so maybe just sell it all and start over...

You still won’t be able to run it in your first gen unless you have a g52(weird that their site says that and I don’t understand, but not up on old trannys) or you upgrade to an r150 with an aa bellhousing. Either way I’m now kicking myself for dumping $2600 into duals for my Sc 3.4 swap when I could have been into it for the same money with way less bullshit.

That being said, all my stuff is new and never run so maybe just sell it all and start over...

G52 is the oddball trans that came in 2nd 4runners and some 3rd gen trucks with auto hubs and a 22re. It had a chain drive case.

This!! Less bearings in there, probably doesn't get as hot as the surface of the sun on the highway, it's quiet, less fluid spewing everywhere. So excited for this product and it's no longer wait for eons for marlin parts, fail gear or mortgage the house for an Atlas as your tcase options.

Suddenly the price of Tacoma chain drive cases shot up LOL!! (Don't know for a fact just joking...)
What do you have in your junk currently?

You thinking about going this route, and if so, what rear case?

It's kinda tempting to do one in my mild 96 4runner, smart thing would just be to run the stock case, but a 205 would be more awesome and ridiculously overkill :laughing:

G52 is the oddball trans that came in 2nd 4runners and some 3rd gen trucks with auto hubs and a 22re. It had a chain drive case.
G58 was the oddball trans with a chain drive case. G52 was the 5spd in front of a forward shift 21 spline gear drive tcase.

Screenshot_20210917-074453_Opera.jpg

Pretty cool new product with good tcase options:smokin:

G58 was the oddball trans with a chain drive case. G52 was the 5spd in front of a forward shift 21 spline gear drive tcase.

Screenshot_20210917-074453_Opera.jpg

Pretty cool new product with good tcase options:smokin:

You're right, I knew g54 was one of them, I thought g56 was the other.

I'm guessing they meant g54 as the g52 makes no sense.

If only this was out when I had my g58 in my 4runner a D300 would have been sweet.

You're right, I knew g54 was one of them, I thought g56 was the other.

I'm guessing they meant g54 as the g52 makes no sense.

If only this was out when I had my g58 in my 4runner a D300 would have been sweet.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. G52 makes no sense :laughing:

D300 swap would be cool on so many levels.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the chain drive case. It’s downfall like every other one like it is chain stretch. Last time I looked an OE chain from Toyota was $560ish. Not sure if there was ever an aftermarket chain made. I never looked into it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the chain drive case. It’s downfall like every other one like it is chain stretch. Last time I looked an OE chain from Toyota was $560ish. Not sure if there was ever an aftermarket chain made. I never looked into it.

Yep, it was all marlin bullshit pushing the gear drive cases over the years.

But again, this product doesn't really have much to do with the chain case it's self.

And even that is not a super big concern IMO

I have heard of one chain drive case failing and it was due to lack of oil and not the chain stretching to point of failure.

And even that is not a super big concern IMO

I have heard of one chain drive case failing and it was due to lack of oil and not the chain stretching to point of failure.

Some taco guys put a 4.7 reduction in FRONT of the stock chain drive case. Most actually say the chain drive case is tronger than the gear drive in every way. Vendors just drug their ass on supporting them forever. Chain drive hate wasn't just Toyotas, I think it started with the old np208 and np203s and whatnot, which were not great in full size trucks. Especially when the still respected 205 was a cheap and plentiful option.

30 years later and guys have been running the chain drive cases in heavy ass JK's for almost 15 years with good luck.

What do you have in your junk currently?

You thinking about going this route, and if so, what rear case?

It's kinda tempting to do one in my mild 96 4runner, smart thing would just be to run the stock case, but a 205 would be more awesome and ridiculously overkill :laughing:
I have dual cases with a rear lefty. 2.28 front, 4.7 rear all marlin guts, mc07 adapter, marlin 30spline outputs. So the most expensive set of Toyota duals you could have LOL!!! I'm not too worried about breaking it, but nice to have options when parts do fail or get old. Before it was just buy an Atlas and bite the bullet, but in this case this opens up options depending what fails on my junk.

Some taco guys put a 4.7 reduction in FRONT of the stock chain drive case. Most actually say the chain drive case is tronger than the gear drive in every way. Vendors just drug their ass on supporting them forever. Chain drive hate wasn't just Toyotas, I think it started with the old np208 and np203s and whatnot, which were not great in full size trucks. Especially when the still respected 205 was a cheap and plentiful option.

30 years later and guys have been running the chain drive cases in heavy ass JK's for almost 15 years with good luck.
I did that for a few years before I built my lefty. The only reason I ditched the chain case is because the input fretted out and additionally it's somehow shorter than my dong and I lost confidence in it. Full transparency there was some installation error on my part, however I also built the duals in 2008 when there was pretty much zero information on dual case swaps into tacomas unlike today. I have seen some people snap it clean off behind duals, but that's not really the fault of the case itself as it wasn't designed to be stuck on a wobbly crawler coupler. I believe I have read even marlin himself saying the chain drive Tacoma cases are the strongest cases Toyota made, you just can't upgrade the planetaries for lower gears.

The jeep guys freaked out over chain cases as well when I owned a jeep, with horror stories of cases failing but usually someone was being a complete tard and exploded them. I ran an np231 for almost a year without fluid in it and the only way I found out there wasn't any fluid was when I went to do the SYE and I unbolted the rear half of the case and the front output fell off!!:lmao: I was 17yr old and a dumbass at the time so I'm sure it was giving me signs, but it still worked up until that point!

I have dual cases with a rear lefty. 2.28 front, 4.7 rear all marlin guts, mc07 adapter, marlin 30spline outputs. So the most expensive set of Toyota duals you could have LOL!!! I'm not too worried about breaking it, but nice to have options when parts do fail or get old. Before it was just buy an Atlas and bite the bullet, but in this case this opens up options depending what fails on my junk.

Usually happens that way, one piece at a time. I still have mine from my 4runner. Got them pretty well built with a xmember for $1100. Only issue I ever had was twisting the front output about 50* without it failing :laughing: so now it has a 30 spline front og Longfield rear. I thought about picking up a lefty and slapping it in the 4runner just cause, but they don't make them anymore and I've seen a lot of of wierd failures from an oiling issue?

I did that for a few years before I built my lefty. The only reason I ditched the chain case is because the input fretted out and additionally it's somehow shorter than my dong and I lost confidence in it. Full transparency there was some installation error on my part, however I also built the duals in 2008 when there was pretty much zero information on dual case swaps into tacomas unlike today. I have seen some people snap it clean off behind duals, but that's not really the fault of the case itself as it wasn't designed to be stuck on a wobbly crawler coupler. I believe I have read even marlin himself saying the chain drive Tacoma cases are the strongest cases Toyota made, you just can't upgrade the planetaries for lower gears.

I've heard that too, same issue as running a dual gear case lots of miles. I wonder how much antisieze helps.

This unit has a 1 piece shaft that should basically eliminate that. I'd bet a standard chain drive case behind this reduction unit would live a long life and probably be low enough for most people (2.57x2.57)

The jeep guys freaked out over chain cases as well when I owned a jeep, with horror stories of cases failing but usually someone was being a complete tard and exploded them. I ran an np231 for almost a year without fluid in it and the only way I found out there wasn't any fluid was when I went to do the SYE and I unbolted the rear half of the case and the front output fell off!!:lmao: I was 17yr old and a dumbass at the time so I'm sure it was giving me signs, but it still worked up until that point!

"its had a leak since I owned it, but I didn't think that much leaked out" :laughing:

Usually happens that way, one piece at a time. I still have mine from my 4runner. Got them pretty well built with a xmember for $1100. Only issue I ever had was twisting the front output about 50* without it failing :laughing: so now it has a 30 spline front og Longfield rear. I thought about picking up a lefty and slapping it in the 4runner just cause, but they don't make them anymore and I've seen a lot of of wierd failures from an oiling issue?

I've heard that too, same issue as running a dual gear case lots of miles. I wonder how much antisieze helps.

This unit has a 1 piece shaft that should basically eliminate that. I'd bet a standard chain drive case behind this reduction unit would live a long life and probably be low enough for most people (2.57x2.57)

"its had a leak since I owned it, but I didn't think that much leaked out" :laughing:
Lefty: yup inchworm/low range doesn't make them. I have had mine in there since 2010 and have put close to 50k miles on it and it's fine, so that oiling issue may or may not be valid. It does have a funky transfer tube for oil and a custom idler gear. That whole expensive tcase setup is why I did the fj60 front axle flip. I couldn't sell it for enough to even justify building a new pax drop dual setup.

Inputs: I change my case oil evrey 6months looking for rust and fretting signs and nothing. Antiseize has been working great, since again 2010.

Np231: I actually t boned a guy and it probably cracked and leaked out then lol!!

Cant tell from the pics. Does it still utilize just the factory tcase mount? Doesnt the w59 in 96+ use a trans mount?

Sounds like a mounting solution still needs to be sorted.

Last edited:
Cant tell from the pics. Does it still utilize just the factory tcase mount? Doesnt the w59 in 96+ use a trans mount?

I don't see provisions for a mount. I think most Toyota mounting issues are because of the extreme reduction being used all the time. Even the 4 spd atlas guys are probably rarely using 10:1. Toyota guys are always in low low, even when they want to go faster, just push the pedal more. :laughing:

I know for the tacomas stock uses just a trans mount for the manuals and autos. I ran my duals like this for 10yrs, and recently just added a stock rubber mount on the rear most case. So some fabrication would be needed to add a rear most mount to the chain drive stuff.

So I may be dumb! But I have a buddy that’s been trying for years to get an extra case in his 05 with a 6 speed manual. Never been able to make it work. And he has $ even atlas cash. Will this fit behind 6speed manual?* edit its a taco

Top Back Refresh