What's new

Black box ecobox using chain drive guts!

You have a crawler?

Where do you wheel?
I haven't really had a crawler for 18 yrs. I tried to get my family (inlaws) into it for years before I finally gave up. They were all into dirt bikes.

For some strange reason they all got the bug last year and started building stuff.

I got a 99 Tacoma extracab TRD. Was stock.

It now has a 3" lift and 33s, but I have a manual trans and dual cases to swap in as soon as my shifters get here.

After that, it will be getting a solid axle and 37s.

For wheeling locations, nothing worth noting. Mostly the roads/trails on HooDoo and whatever random thing we find. It's pretty sad that there isn't any actual off-road areas around here like TSF in Oregon :frown:

I haven't really had a crawler for 18 yrs. I tried to get my family (inlaws) into it for years before I finally gave up. They were all into dirt bikes.

For some strange reason they all got the bug last year and started building stuff.

I got a 99 Tacoma extracab TRD. Was stock.

It now has a 3" lift and 33s, but I have a manual trans and dual cases to swap in as soon as my shifters get here.

After that, it will be getting a solid axle and 37s.

For wheeling locations, nothing worth noting. Mostly the roads/trails on HooDoo and whatever random thing we find. It's pretty sad that there isn't any actual off-road areas around here like TSF in Oregon :frown:
come over here to iowa if you want to have no wheeling spots. you have to seek them out my man. take that drive. i am willing to bet a few hours from your location you have some legit spots. especially in Idaho.

anybody else grab one of these?

I thought about using one to swap a 3.4/auto into my crawler with the atlas on the back, but it's actually cheaper to buy the atlas adapter and an eco box :laughing: Then you have to use cable shifters on the atlas.

Still a cool option, but hard to pencil out depending on options.

I'm running an ecocrawler and their trident triple sticks with an RF1A behind it in my '98 4runner. Used this setup to convert to passenger side drop to match the fj80 front axle going under it.

I'm running an ecocrawler and their trident triple sticks with an RF1A behind it in my '98 4runner. Used this setup to convert to passenger side drop to match the fj80 front axle going under it.
Sorry, first post on here. I'm extremely interested in this setup. The NWF "fitment guide" on the ecocrawler page says that the RF1A isn't "ok" behind it. I haven't contacted them to ask about it.

Any issues? Are you running 4.7 gears?

Last edited:
Probably not a popular combo, but I ran across this on FB and figured I'd share since the wait time on these is long.

This is not mine and I don't know the seller in anyway.

I'm about to put one of these together for a buddy to go in-between a A340 and a gm small bearing np205. Anyone have any experience with these before I dive in? Couldn't find a tech write up and NWF in notorious for not including directions.

20240408_101619.jpg
20240408_101613.jpg
20240408_101609.jpg

I'm looking for the integrated vf2/205 instruction and those are not there, but thanks for trying. I'll keep looking, I'm going to be starting it in Thursday and hope to find some info.

Checked out the toyota to toyota like you highlighted but it's not too a 205.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_172115_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_172115_Drive.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 2
Their manuals are lacking for specific installs. There also isn't a ford/chevy 205 specific manual even though they are very different. You're going to have to reference The 205 and vf2 and make it happen.

That's how I built my d300/241 eco box with referencing the black box and eco box instructions. Was hoping to see if anybody knew of something. 🍻

I'll get it figured out, I'm just lazy and looking for easy ways to avoid stupid issues.

So I just put together my buddies doubler and it wasn't that bad. Had a couple head scratching moments but figured it out. Hope some of these pictures help out.

Here's the 205 with the back side of the doubler. New input shaft already installed, pretty self explanatory on that part.
20240415_133720.jpg

So here is where I drilled the front case to use a hammer and punch to knock the sun gear out of the case.
20240415_133714.jpg

20240415_133943.jpg

Make sure the chamfered end is pressed in first. I didn't need a press, I just spun it till it dropped right on.

Guts pulled from the front half
20240415_133727.jpg

I only had to pull the main bolts that split the case and the flanges off.
20240415_135900.jpg

This part is where I tapped the roll pin in flush with the shifter and it was hanging down to low to not allow full high/low movement.
20240415_150543.jpg

You can see the pin hanging down in the top left of the picture
20240415_150556.jpg

20240415_135432.jpg
20240415_135427.jpg

This part was a mofo to pull off and I had to sand the snap ring so it would clip on on the new shaft.
20240415_141655.jpg

20240415_151336.jpg

Here's the compete unit minus the studs in the back mounting the 2 halves together. I told my buddy to mount the front half of the doubler to the tranny and then install the backhalf so he can clock it to where it works for his ride.

Nice!

I've been curious about the 205 version.

Has he fit it up there yet to see how it clears the floor? I'm guess some decent cutting is going to happen :laughing:

Top Back Refresh