What's new

Bible Book hunt

Tip.... go to Amazon. Find a book on the subject that will validate how you feel about the subject. Purchase that book, feel better that your feelings have been validated after reading that book.

No offense, but it sounds like you have already made up your mind about what's true and from where your going to trust information... just go to that source. Find a "history buff" that wrote a book on the subject.

You got me wrong. I coulda done that with out asking here. I have no opinion on what happened because I’m ignorant on the topic. I am at least smart enough not to put my trust in the church to give me accurate/unfiltered info. Same way I would read a book on government corruption put out by the US Government.

You got me wrong. I coulda done that with out asking here. I have no opinion on what happened because I’m ignorant on the topic. I am at least smart enough not to put my trust in the church to give me accurate/unfiltered info. Same way I would read a book on government corruption put out by the US Government.

If that is your stance... then I got you right. History of a subject typically comes from various sources, not just one you agree with.

The Church will have a bias, the Historian will have a bias (based on their point of view/ religion).

You want information, but only from a source you side with. Gotcha.

Truly disinterested research and analysis is far less likely to be initiated, distributed, or promoted.
With no dog in that race, who would drop 1000+ hours into primary research?

For "the truth", reading conflicting accounts + critical thinking = best way to justify your bias :flipoff2: :laughing:

Maybe somebody that's interested in the truth, as in EXACTLY what happened, without spewing all the skewed nonsense. There are a number of people who actually give a fuck about accurate history.

If that is your stance... then I got you right. History of a subject typically comes from various sources, not just one you agree with.

The Church will have a bias, the Historian will have a bias (based on their point of view/ religion).

I sort of agree, but in a case like this, where the vast majority of the information available is from sources that are extremely biased one way, it's only natural to want to look for information from opposing sources. Not to mention, if you are wanting to form an independent opinion, you sort of need to look at all sides of it, or at least as many as you can find, and then decide. Most people are pretty aware of christianity's stance, so looking for others is the logical way to go.

No. I recommend thinking before posting. It’s an indisputable fact that the churches history is off, even Christians know the church’s history is full of murder and cultural destruction while preaching peace. I can’t say that about the yet to be named historian authors.

im happy to read their version because I know they are bias, I’m sure there are nuggets of info. I don’t know what I don’t know about the facts and how else than can be interpreted

i could very well end up siding with the church on things. I don’t know so stop saying I have a bias. Grow a brain Moran!

Last edited:
No. I recommend thinking before posting. It’s an indisputable fact that the churches history is off, even Christians know the church’s history is full of murder and cultural destruction while preaching peace. I can’t say that about the yet to be named historian authors.

im happy to read their version because I know they are bias, I’m sure there are nuggets of info. I don’t know what I don’t know about the facts and how else than can be interpreted

i could very well end up siding with the church on things. I don’t know so stop saying I have a bias. Grow a brain Moran!

How is this thought for you? So any American History, penned by an American, is unreliable? That's what your statement represents. It's a pretty ill conceived conclusion to take that path. And no German should pen German history and etc., because of bias- right?

Come awn man.

You do realize Christianity and Catholicism don't exactly walk hand in hand, correct? That being said, there are many Christians, myself included, who take an honest look at history and realize there are many flaws within the Christian faith. And we can do that because we realize humanity, even at it's best, is flawed. Ironic, ain't it?

As for thinking before I post. I will try harder, brother. :flipoff2:

All that you really need to know is that Jesus was white. :laughing:

And had blue eyes. :flipoff2:
7c3ae0364d4d2c93a1766d1326e103d6.jpg

It’s an indisputable fact that the churches history is off, even Christians know the church’s history is full of murder and cultural destruction while preaching peace.

These Christians you speak of sound pretty educated on the church's history. Wierd huh? Preaching peace sounds like a good idea even if we aren't able to achieve it. No?

I have to agree with the OP. I have not read anything about the subjects he is asking, but near topics I have. That Roman Catholics and their book choices.

What I have read is analogies of why certain principals don't apply today but they did then. Such as murder, and men sleeping with animals and cutting your hair and such. I have also read letters from roman investigators sent to see what was going on during the time jesus was walking around and after.

There are letters written with no connection to the bible that support what the bible says. Then again I am sure there are books that dis prove the bible as much.

To me it is fun reading ashiest or scientific people's journeys in disproving the bible. They seem to dig up a bunch of stuff we never heard of before.

the truth is I’m really good at jeopardy besides literature, early religion . I decided to read up on my weak topics and needed to pick a place to start. I was going to start with The Art of War and move to Macaveli(sp?). But the Nicea council came up over Christmas so I figured start there.

now I’ll probably try to read a few books per century and see where it leads. Picking the books will educate me on who wrote what and when.

the truth is I’m really good at jeopardy besides literature, early religion . I decided to read up on my weak topics and needed to pick a place to start. I was going to start with The Art of War and move to Macaveli(sp?). But the Nicea council came up over Christmas so I figured start there.

now I’ll probably try to read a few books per century and see where it leads. Picking the books will educate me on who wrote what and when.

Have you considered picking up a New King James and reading it? Not trying to be a smart ass... but if your going through all the trouble of reading about a book and how it was "assembled", you might consider reading the actual book.

Have you considered picking up a New King James and reading it? Not trying to be a smart ass... but if your going through all the trouble of reading about a book and how it was "assembled", you might consider reading the actual book.

I have.

I’m looking for an educational history book on the Nicea Council and Constantinople meetings. I’d like to know more about how that entire thing thing went down with who picked what and how for the Bible. I’m looking for a history book, not a book or religious spin and interpretation. It’s a topic in that time period I don’t know much about.

Not sure how I missed this post, good thing we didn't get started on this topic after the beadlocks, I may never have got out of there lol

What did you end up with?

Top Back Refresh