What's new

Best Nonstick Cookware

This thread made me wanna whip up some eggs on the cast iron skillet. Melted a huge chunk of butter and tossed some eggs on it. Of course they stuck to it. Looks like the seasoning is coming off cuz i did not add pepper....

They were damn good though...

20200811_114429.jpg

Last edited:
Care to share seasoning tips? I have four cast iron pans. Tried multiple seasoning methods and shit always sticks to them. Never was able to just wipe em out cuz of the food stuck to them.

warm them up, apply a thin coat of flax seed oil, and leave them in an oven upside down (I use a gas grill outside) at 400 degrees for an hour+, let them cool, then repeat several times. I think a big mistake I used to do, was putting too much oil on there, and trying to give it a go all in one heat cycle. less oil, and more heat cycles seems to do much better. If it comes out sticky, you probably used too much oil.

warm them up, apply a thin coat of flax seed oil, and leave them in an oven upside down (I use a gas grill outside) at 400 degrees for an hour+, let them cool, then repeat several times. I think a big mistake I used to do, was putting too much oil on there, and trying to give it a go all in one heat cycle. less oil, and more heat cycles seems to do much better. If it comes out sticky, you probably used too much oil.

This is what I did multiple times till the lady had enough of the smell. Shit still stuck.

I think it's just the rough texture of the pans. They need smoothed out.

This is what I did multiple times till the lady had enough of the smell. Shit still stuck.

I think it's just the rough texture of the pans. They need smoothed out.

Smoothing out will probably help.

Also, I find with cast iron you ALWAYS have to use some sort of oil when cooking if what you're cooking isn't fatty. I usually use a bit of oil in my non-stick, but it seems mandatory for cast iron.

I'm not the type of person who uses my cast iron for every meal of every day, so it's possible my technique isn't good.

Seen the copper chef stuff mentioned a few times in here. When you first get them you can basically fry an egg with a tiny spritz of pam, they work like a hot damn for the first month or two and then they start to degrade on their non stickiness.

I cook basically every meal in either a 12" cast iron or 12" Copper chef frying pan and have been replacing the non stick every 6-12 months once I can't slide a 3 egg omelette out of it anymore.

Really neat thing is that the glass lid from the copper chef skillet fits the lodge 12" cast iron perfectly.

I need to look into smoothing out my cast iron too as I have tried all of the other tricks and I still have to scrub food out of it.

We go the ceramic route for non-stick, and trash the pan every 18 months or so when it’s no longer non stick. I know that’s not that long, but I think they only last even that long because we only use it for stuff that will stick badly. Fish, eggs, etc. Everything that will be cooked on high heat gets cooked in cast iron, or, more often, a raw aluminum pan. It’s really not that hard to clean just about anything but eggs out of an untreated pan. Put some muscle behind a plastic scraper, and there you go.

People tell me aluminum will make me senile, or something. I hope to get a pilot’s license in the next couple years, then I won’t have to worry about living that long, anyway.

This thread made me wanna whip up some eggs on the cast iron skillet. Melted a huge chunk of butter and tossed some eggs on it. Of course they stuck to it. Looks like the seasoning is coming off cuz i did not add pepper....

They were damn good though...

Why butter? 1lb of bacon is better on all fronts.

This should be taught in 3rd grade. You nailed it.

:laughing: You use tire dressing, don't you? And silver polish on your eating utensils? :lmao:

Here's my super scientific vaguely helpful post: I bought a frypan with green no stick surface and another one with white no stick surface several years ago and they both have held up great. My wife buys a new fry pan of whatever kind of no stick every couple years, it ain't rocket science and shit doesn't stick much if you pay attention and stir enough. What size cast iron pan do you cook macaroni and cheese in?:flipoff2: Or green beans? And isn't it nice how stuff doesn't stick in plastic or glass bowls when you cook in the microwave?:smokin:

hu? LOL Yeah, I dress up my dirty old tires and polish my plastic forks :laughing:

Hey, me too!

And when my bacon-cooker gets gouged up, I throw it away and get another for $3 at Sally Anne's, or Costco if I'm feeling froggy.

I don't gently rub it with special heated oils.

DisfiguredBowedConch-size_restricted.gif

Trailer park for life, yo!

We’ve got a shitty electric range and my dad gave us a nice allclad pan that’s non-stick and meant for induction cooktops. It’s held up better than other pans we’ve tried. I just tossed some warped calphalon pans.

This thread needs more triangulation...

Seriously, this is like watching a PBB thread 15-20 years ago. “I want to run the Rubicon”. “You can’t run the Rubicon without coil-overs and Dana 60s!”. “I want a non-stick pan to cook an omelette.” “You can’t cook an omelette without Great Grandma Gertrude’s hand-me-down cast iron.”
If you want non-stick, get cheap non-stick, knowing that it’s a wear item and not a lifelong investment, then replace it when it’s no longer non-stick. Cast iron is great, and has its place, but so does non-stick.

Bestest way I've ever seen to season cast iron, has a good deal of info on restoring old pans as well - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7469814&postcount=2733
Basically get the oil in there and heat in the oven, not on the stove top.

I've found boiling a little water in them to clean them before re-oiling helps a lot, and using a good, sharpish steel spatula when cooking helps stop the seasoning building up too thick and flaking off into your dinner.

Plus, I've heard Evernoob uses non-stick pans, so fuck that, cast iron for the win. :flipoff2:

Well this is the mess I made with bacon. Decided to cook some in each pan to try to help season them. Bacon stuck to the small pan literally every time you gave it a minute without moving them. The other pans were drama-free.

So i guess I just drain, wipe out, and let em be till next time?

oh yeah there is grease splatter all over the fucking place. My cats are licking the greasy floor. :flipoff2:

photo34072.jpg

Didnt read all of the replies but keep this in mind, dont use a teflon coated pan or anything like teflon as the companies rename it to get sales but it will still kill you just like Dupont's brand of teflon.

Dupont was sued about their teflon product causing cancer but mostly got off scott free due to them being such a huge money pot.

And yes Calphalon pans still use teflon.

Calphalon uses PTFE(Polytetrafluoroethylene) material with proprietary reinforcements for wear resistance, as well as additional components to enhance heat transfer. Layers of nonstick coatings are usedto increase the durability and thus the quality of nonstick cookware.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh