What's new

Best Nonstick Cookware

Gotdamn there are a lot of snobs in here. Sounds like a BMW motorcycle rally.

"Dear fellow, the only proper way to break your fast is using cage-free, free-range, grain-fed chicken eggs cooked in an heirloom cast iron pan seasoned with the rendered fat of a once-fucked pig on a Viking gas stove. Anything less is simply uncivilized!"

On the forum that turns down ring gears with an angle grinder.

Cast iron here. I have 3 different pans and a square pancake double burner one. Electric stove and zero issues. Don't get them scorching hot, I use bacon grease on my egg pan and its as slick as any non-stick. When your pan is still new I recommend greasing them after you’re done cooking with them. A towel makes the handles tolerable for the lesser man:flipoff2:.

So bring it up to cooking temp and throw some bacon grease on it, liberally, then set it in the over at 200 for about 20 minutes, pull it out and use a paper towel to wipe the evenly around and remove the rest, then shut off the oven and let the pan sit in there till its totally cool. Every time you use it grease it first and for the first dozen or so uses grease it afterwards.

I have 1 10” pan in bacon grease, 1 10” in avocado oil, and a little traveler 6” in bacon grease. Nothing sticks to them. Cheese, tomato sauce, bread in the dutch oven.
If you do traditional non-stick then heat them up slow and don’t use metal.

Cast iron.

I don't do any of that yuppie seasoning bullshit. I just make sure that whatever I cook has a little bit of oil, grease, cooking spray or butter and it's all fine. I don't go crazy with it either. Like just the lightest dash of pam is all it takes to keep baked fish from sticking.

Keep in mind all cast iron is not equal. A lot of the newer and especially the cheaper brands of cast iron have a rough sand cast surface. If you compare them to an older quality pan you will see just how much smoother the surface finish is on the older stuff. No amount of seasoning seems to help on these rough pans. But an old worn out flap wheel on a grinder followed by a DA will get you a nice smooth finish and greatly improves the no stick abilities.

Keep in mind all cast iron is not equal. A lot of the newer and especially the cheaper brands of cast iron have a rough sand cast surface. If you compare them to an older quality pan you will see just how much smoother the surface finish is on the older stuff. No amount of seasoning seems to help on these rough pans. But an old worn out flap wheel on a grinder followed by a DA will get you a nice smooth finish and greatly improves the no stick abilities.

Those are exactly the kind of pans I have and they work just fine. :flipoff2:

When I bought them I figured I was gonna flap wheel them but it just hasn't been a problem.

Cast iron...

We used to have parakeets & lovebirds as pets and something about nonstick cooking pans could kill them. The birds are gone but still using the cast iron skillet. Just use enough grease or oil olive to prevent sticking (or you must be lousy chefs :flipoff2: )-

What ia DA?

All my pans have the rough textured surface and everything sticks. I grinded one down before but you could see the rust show up after seasoning it a few times.

I guess i suck with cast iron.

Yeah, my wife picked up some new Lodge brand cast iron that I was disappointed in the casting. Heavy sand grain to the inner surface. It stuck every time no matter how much oil. I sanded out the work surfaces and re seasoned it. Working much better now and getting better as I use it. That said they are pretty small at 9".

We have a Calphalon 12" high wall pan that we use kind of like a Wok. It works well for when you need to cook down veggies and such in a bigger pan. Also has a glass lid which I like cause you can usually see things going wrong faster! Got it from Bed Bath& Beyond. Held up better than any other non sticks we have had but is starting to get a bit beat up at 10 years.

What ia DA?

All my pans have the rough textured surface and everything sticks. I grinded one down before but you could see the rust show up after seasoning it a few times.

I guess i suck with cast iron.

DA.dual action sander

Some people don't like to use a 100 lb lead weight to cook with. :flipoff2:

If a person can't use ci. they've got bigger problems than not having a nonstick pan.

Last edited:
Some people don't like to use a 100 lb lead weight to cook with. :flipoff2:
Yep, Kat's rheumatoid arthritis has stopped all of that. We just use the same Calphalon we've been using for years and send it in every 5-8 years and they send back new shit. That has been almost solely relegated to the smaller skillets and similar as time goes by since it gets harder for her to pick up the larger ones.

If a person can't use ci. they've got bigger problems than not having a nonstick pan.

Oh, aren't you the elitist. :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with people that prefer to not use a very heavy pan/skillet. Lots and lots of professional chefs don't use cast iron.

Oh, aren't you the elitist. :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with people that prefer to not use a very heavy pan/skillet. Lots and lots of professional chefs don't use cast iron.

Now I'm beginning to understand why everybody thinks you're a prick.

Buy a new one once a year, do nothing but eggs and fish in them.

They don't take heat well, so they are a bit useless for meat and such.

Get stainless for everything else. If it sticks it's not done, and for everything else just dump a forth cup water into them while quite hot and scrape, tasty suds and squeaky clean.

Cast iron if you want to be a hipster. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh