What's new

Best 35" sticky sxs tires

skyhiranger

Member Number
Loc
KC, MO
I've been contemplating getting some sticky tires to run on my off-road only samurai and/or a couple of other not yet built rigs (samurai weight or less). 35" tires is the tire size I am looking to go with. Everything will be trailer queens, so no hard surface driving. Current full bodied samurai weighs in a 2640. I expect any future rigs to weigh less.
Historically, the Maxxis Roxxzilla stickies seem to be the go to. But I've been reading about the Nitto Trail Grappler SXS sticky tires. I've seen a few "test" videos and the Nitto TGs seem to do better than the Zillas in straight up traction on rock. Price wise the Nittos are more expensive, but if they truly are better than the Zillas in the rocks (I try to avoid straight up mud, so not really concerned about that), it will be a buy once, cry once deal.
For you guys that are familiar with the KS/MO area wheeling, my normal wheeling spots are KS Rocks, Tuttle Creek, Disney and I've been to SMORR, Flat Nasty and the new park Ray Rocks.
Since you guys are SxS guys, I'm guessing you have more knowledge and experience with sticky SxS tires than regular off road guys would. So what are your thoughts on the Zillas vs the TGs? Or is there some other sticky out there that I am not familiar with that is better than those two and available in a 35?
Lastly, how well do the sidewalls hold up? I try to keep the sidewalls away from the sharp rocks, but inevitably it will happen. Historically, I haven't had any issues with sidewall damage, since I've ran 33x10.50 Radial TSLs, 34x9.50 TSLs and 34x10.50 LTBs.

I am totally in on this thread... My next rig will be something small, light, and on 33" UTV stickies. Probably a Track/Kick.

My brother has 35" sticky Roxxilas, I'm running 35" System 3 XTR 370's. We were both at hot spring orv park recently, and I repeatedly watched him climb right over stuff I had to pull winch cable on. Roxxillas are far superior.

Haven't ran any, but I will say the roxxilas are true hieght and the pro armors run pretty short.
Nitto and Maxxis say the Trail Grappler SXS and Roxxzilla 35s measure 34.5ish, FWIW. I'm used to tires running smaller than stated sidewall height...I run Swampers, LOL.

The busted knuckle utv tire test was pretty eye opening. The sticky nittos won hands down, new, not broken in.

I have sticky Zillas and they are the reigning king of the Sticky UTV tire. A friend from GA has gone from Zillas to the Nitto sticky and he loves them. I asked him what the durometer reading on them was and he couldn't give me a # but said they were a little harder compound than the Zillas. My durometer on my Zillas when new was low 30s. That was on a 32 not a 35 but I would like to think the compound is the same, sticky to sticky.
the Nitto should steer a little easier with a little bit narrower and slightly rounded profile. My Zillas are square shouldered and you can tell with the extra steering effort. Won't be noticeable in a Sami/Tracker with real power steering. I would like to see the Nitto in person and check the durometer reading to see how they compare.

My brother has 35" sticky Roxxilas, I'm running 35" System 3 XTR 370's. We were both at hot spring orv park recently, and I repeatedly watched him climb right over stuff I had to pull winch cable on. Roxxillas are far superior.
Indeed :flipoff2:

I do not regret putting 35" sticky zillas on my KRX in any way.

I did look for sticky trail grapplers before I bought the zillas but could only find the standard version. I suppose they are more available now, idk.

I have sticky Zillas and they are the reigning king of the Sticky UTV tire. A friend from GA has gone from Zillas to the Nitto sticky and he loves them. I asked him what the durometer reading on them was and he couldn't give me a # but said they were a little harder compound than the Zillas. My durometer on my Zillas when new was low 30s. That was on a 32 not a 35 but I would like to think the compound is the same, sticky to sticky.
the Nitto should steer a little easier with a little bit narrower and slightly rounded profile. My Zillas are square shouldered and you can tell with the extra steering effort. Won't be noticeable in a Sami/Tracker with real power steering. I would like to see the Nitto in person and check the durometer reading to see how they compare.
Seems like I ran across durometer specs for both somewhere. I want to say they were very close to the same.
Profile isn't going to matter much, as they will be aired down all the time. I have found wheel offset (scrub) has more to do with steering effort than anything else, in my case.

Looking at the Nitto website they don't mention a standard and sticky version in the UTV Grappler.

Looking at the Nitto website they don't mention a standard and sticky version in the UTV Grappler.
From what I understand, the "SXS" version are the stickies. Nitto makes a regular Trail Grappler M/T designated for regular vehicles, then they make the "SXS" spec tires.

"A major benefit to all the Trail Grappler SXS tires though is the race compound. This means all the Nitto SXS tires are a true “sticky,” providing the ultimate traction in rocks or hard-pack surfaces."

Does anyone have experience with the Super ATV Warrior XT stickies? There's a set of 35s available semi locally with only 2 rides on them for a song. I also have a line on a set of roxxzillas for just a little more. These would be going on a ~3k lb samurai (erring on the heavy side) for East Coast rocks and trails.

Screenshot_20230228-140840.png

Friend in GA had a set of the SATV Warriors and he didn't have them long.

I would go with the Zillas.

Does anyone have experience with the Super ATV Warrior XT stickies? There's a set of 35s available semi locally with only 2 rides on them for a song. I also have a line on a set of roxxzillas for just a little more. These would be going on a ~3k lb samurai (erring on the heavy side) for East Coast rocks and trails.

Screenshot_20230228-140840.png
I have these on my polaris General XP in 30x9-15 and i love them. they perform damn good out here in the slop and did very well at KOH where i did some pre running with some of the guys.

Anyone have any more feedback on the warrior xt stickies. I am a SATV dealer no so I can get them pretty cheap but I don't want to waste the money if they don't perform as well as the zillas.

Anyone have any more feedback on the warrior xt stickies. I am a SATV dealer no so I can get them pretty cheap but I don't want to waste the money if they don't perform as well as the zillas.
From what I read and watch on YouTube, the zilla sticky is hands down the best performing rock tire out there. But I have zero real world experience… so….

Top Back Refresh