What's new

BEGINNING WELDING FOR nOOBs

:lmao: Probably just oil then, of all the shit you could have been breathing that is not the worst.

Jobs like that try not to be right over the work, peek at if from the side if you can, the smoke is going to go fairly straight up. Watch someone welding sometime, they are usually giving themselves a metal cloud facial which is nice for composite steel boogers later.

I had to get over it on like two welds, but after the first I put the respirator on,

Does the brand of welding rods matter much?
I was wondering the same. For all types of welding. My focus currently is going to be on Flux.
Two guns, same year, make, model, and caliber fire different ammo better. I get that and would assume that to be true in the metal gluing world. But are there some that should 100% avoided?

I was wondering the same. For all types of welding. My focus currently is going to be on Flux.
Two guns, same year, make, model, and caliber fire different ammo better. I get that and would assume that to be true in the metal gluing world. But are there some that should 100% avoided?
Most anything is going to be fine. If it has a AWS designation like A5.20 or alloy number like E71T-11 it should be what it says, but china does not follow rules.

For the home gamer the Lincoln wire at Lowes and HD are pretty OK, same with the Hobart stuff at TSC and open on sunday when you run out halfway through a project.

House brand stuff from the welding supply is probably going to be fine too.

I try not to get consumables at harbor freight, but they have been upping their welder game recently so who knows?

Solid mig and tig wire is probably less brand critical than flux core or stick rods because the flux includes whatever herbs and spices. Some stick rods can be sensitive to moisture over time so some think that getting rods from a place that moves a lot of inventory is best.

Most anything is going to be fine. If it has a AWS designation like A5.20 or alloy number like E71T-11 it should be what it says, but china does not follow rules.

For the home gamer the Lincoln wire at Lowes and HD are pretty OK, same with the Hobart stuff at TSC and open on sunday when you run out halfway through a project.

House brand stuff from the welding supply is probably going to be fine too.

I try not to get consumables at harbor freight, but they have been upping their welder game recently so who knows?

Solid mig and tig wire is probably less brand critical than flux core or stick rods because the flux includes whatever herbs and spices. Some stick rods can be sensitive to moisture over time so some think that getting rods from a place that moves a lot of inventory is best.
:beer: These were my exact two concerns.

It sounds like a little general purpose MIG welder will fulfill your needs just fine, IMHO. I'm not an expert welder, but I've been welding since high school and worked as a mechanic/welder for years when I was in my 20's and 30's. I've never owned a welder myself, so I did a bunch of research to try to figure out a suitable machine for my home garage use.

I ended up with 180 Amp Lincoln MIG welder. Home Depot sells this exact welder (except it is called the "Weld Pak" 180 instead of "Easy Mig" 180) for $750 locally It is a 220v machine, so I had to add a circuit in the garage. That was easy, but it cost about $40 for the breaker, receptacle and wire. I'm into everything including the new 220v circuit, a cart, and a 40 cf bottle full of gas for about $1050. There are definately cheaper and easier ways to get started welding, but I won't need anything more than this for what I'm doing, and it sounds a lot like what you will be doing.

I think you mentioned that you live in Boise. If you want to come over and try it out, bring beer. I drink Coors Light. I'm near Lake Hazel & Cloverdale.

photo41553.jpg
Soon; young Jedi. Soon.:grinpimp::beer:

Just got a new helmet. I can’t see shit any more while trying to weld.

The difference in the optics is amazing.

Haven’t welded with it yet.

In the middle.

You should see the boogers that are holding frame end plates onto your average 1-ton dump
yep. Same with the trailers you plan on towing. I’ve cut apart some “factory” welds on stuff and with as shitty as it looks, it takes a lot to knock them loose. If you ever see an early bronco bare frame, it’s a wonder they do t split apart more often, lots of cold roll and missed spots

A Chinese AC + DC inverter welder is $100 delivered to your door and while it probably won't be working 40yr from now it will do everything an AC tombstone will do and more

Local FB Market.place $600:
1711302828950.png

Thoughts?
That's such a terrible fucking price I'd think about going out of my way to waste his time.

Top Back Refresh