What's new

Atv for a 4 year old?

Chicom all the way. Fuck resale value, the fun value of a few beers and a bunch of adults doing timed laps or better yet 2 chicom 110s duking it out side by side is off the charts.

We bought a outlaw 50 used but in new condition for $1250 about 8 years ago. It is probably still worth $1000 today if not more. Chinese quads will not be as reliable and hold no value. Yes, I am aware many parts from this are chinese as well. It has been solid. It is a 50cc quad that will pull 2 kids on a sled in a few inches of snow with me driving. It has been fun.

When you look at cost over time small quads and dirtbikes are rediculously cheap. Buy a decent deal and keep it in good condition and you are loking at like $50 a year total cost if not break even. It's almost like a savings account...

for the kids we have
outlaw 50
crf50
crf50
crf110
crf150

I ride a 450 KTM and I can ride it well. It has sat for the last 3 years. I hop on the 110 or 150 to ride with the kids.

I am a firm believer that training wheels on everything is silly. All kids should start on a Strider with no pedals. They should be successfully riding that by 2-3 years old. When a kid is big enough to actually ride a dirtbike no training wheels are needed. Teach them to bail when in trouble :)

Our boy started on a kdx50 with training wheels at 3 years old because he couldn't touch the ground. Once he was big enough, they came off.

Stop buying kids quads.:flipoff2:

Bump.

My 7 year old is turning 8 this month. I want to get him something to ride out at our land. Originally I was looking at used go karts, but am now leaning toward an ATV. I've thought about grabbing a chicom 110-125cc one as they run under $1,500 but, I have enough shit to work on that i'm leaning towards getting something name brand based on reliability (and resale).

I'm leaning toward a 110cc vs 70-90cc. I figure I can govern it down for a while and it would leave more room for them to grow into it.

Options:
Random chicom 125cc Link.
Suzuki z90 Link.
Kawasaki KFX 90 Link.
Honda TRX90X Link.
Can-Am Renegade 110 Link.
Polaris outlaw 110 Link.

Thoughts on 90cc vs 110cc for an 8 year old? *additional info, I have a 5 year old that will be riding too. Mind you, he is almost the same size as his older brother.

Are the name brand quads worth 2-3x the price?

I'm keeping an eye on marketplace too as i'm not apposed to buying used.
Add the CF Moto to the list. I started looking at them recently after seeing a few at my local dealer. They have a phone app that can limit speed and set a radius it can travel as well.

For a kid, id lean towards a cheap chicom. The resale is crap, but he will probably outgrow it before it dies.
The name brand machines are worth it. The upfront cost is larger for sure but the back end resale is almost what they sell for new.

I ran by a local power sports dealer to look at some of the models listed above.

AC9CFB8F-90D2-40C6-B4E6-6AB0EF25A509.jpeg

Suzuki z90- the front suspension was junk. Mine as well have not had front shocks.

Can-am 110- looked and felt good like you would expect out of a top dollar unit.

The dealer also carried Kayo quads. Link. I talked to a salesman that recommended the Kayo Predator 125 over the Can-am.
ACCCABE4-9E96-42E8-AF84-C1562A6D6229.jpeg

The sales pitch was essentially, the cheaper Kayo was better bang for your buck on youth ATVs. This one is $1,700 with no added freight or assembly. He said they (along with all dealers) have to tack on ~$1,600ish to all the other major brands for freight and assembly. So the Can-Am would be $3500 +$1,600 (then tt&l). The Kayo quads are distributed out of the Waco area assembled so they don’t add any fees.

The fit and finish looked good. Really, it could have had Polaris or Can-Am printed on the side and I wouldn’t have questioned it.

So, I’ll check out some reviews but the Kayo sounds like a happy medium with price and reliability (2 year full Warranty included).

The sales pitch was essentially, the cheaper Kayo was better bang for your buck on youth ATVs. This one is $1,700 with no added freight or assembly. He said they (along with all dealers) have to tack on ~$1,600ish to all the other major brands for freight and assembly. So the Can-Am would be $3500 +$1,600 (then tt&l). The Kayo quads are distributed out of the Waco area assembled so they don’t add any fees.
$1600 seems like a LOT.

I jusk checked locally in wisconsin. Listing from dealer on fb marketplace.
"Brand new 2023 Renegade 110 with fuel injection 2x4. Price is $3599 + 400 can am commodity/freight. No other fees just add sales tax and registration. www.XLRide.com"

Used there are a few 2021 for $2800-$3100. I would personally buy a used one in new condition. Some NEVER get ridden and other are used by 1 kid and then quickly upgraded.

Bump.

My 7 year old is turning 8 this month. I want to get him something to ride out at our land. Originally I was looking at used go karts, but am now leaning toward an ATV. I've thought about grabbing a chicom 110-125cc one as they run under $1,500 but, I have enough shit to work on that i'm leaning towards getting something name brand based on reliability (and resale).

I'm leaning toward a 110cc vs 70-90cc. I figure I can govern it down for a while and it would leave more room for them to grow into it.

Options:
Random chicom 125cc Link.
Suzuki z90 Link.
Kawasaki KFX 90 Link.
Honda TRX90X Link.
Can-Am Renegade 110 Link.
Polaris outlaw 110 Link.

Thoughts on 90cc vs 110cc for an 8 year old? *additional info, I have a 5 year old that will be riding too. Mind you, he is almost the same size as his older brother.

Are the name brand quads worth 2-3x the price?

I'm keeping an eye on marketplace too as i'm not apposed to buying used.
I got my daughter a kfx90, She is 4 so she doesnt get to ride it by herself, but she controls everything with me riding and holding on. It hauls me and my daughter around which is 270 pounds. A 90 should be plenty for a 8YO

Picked up a 2021 kfx90 of marketplace for 2k. Well worth it.

I woulda stabbed my grandma in her sleep, if it got me bike like this when I was a kid:laughing:

Last edited:
If he isn't quite ready for gas you can do the 24V stuff. We have had a 24V peg perego four wheeler for 4 years. It has been a beast, had to replace the battery 2 years ago and the battery died last fall.... so the batteries are about 2 years of life. It topped out at 7 mph IIRC.

My 2 youngest daughters have taotao four wheelers now. I will admit they can be a little cold natured, but not too terrible to get going.... My 7 year old has the 125 w/ F&r and my 5 year old has the 110. They are a lot of fun. My 7 year old flipped hers within 5 seconds of getting on it... but not since. My 5 year old has not yet flipped hers and is actually really good at riding.

Top Back Refresh