What's new

Atv for a 4 year old?

I agree it is a big machine for a 10 yo, I only caught him in high once and I explained to him why he can’t go there.
my father bought a Sportsman 700 years ago for the maintenance crew and he wouldn’t even let them take it out of high on playing fields.
I was also looking at the Yamaha 450 4x4 being it is also physically smaller, but decided the 570 the way to go.
For the op, does your child ride on atvs with an adult now? If so, at 4 I would look at a 90 or 110 and just back the throttle off. My son out grew his 50 by the time he was 8.

He does ride on my fathers outlander 400 with me and my father. He loves it but we can’t let him control the throttle. I’ve been working with him on it but he pins it every time. I think it’s a result of him riding the power wheels. (It’s all or nothing on those).

My son has a Chicom 80 or 90. It runs good and he has fun on it but it is so hard to start that by the time I get it running he has lost interest. I have replaced everything on it but it has such small spark that it floods instantly. The only way I can get it to start is to run a hairdryer on the head to get some heat in it and then hook it up to a car battery and give it a small whiff of cosbys date in a can. Once it has heat in it it will run and start great. It is pretty quick for a little machine I bet it will run over 30 with me on it. It has a little screw and I just back it off to about 1/2-3/4 throttle and he does fine.

I would suggest getting a name brand machine not the chicom junk. At least you can get parts for them. I am thinking of just getting a small B&S horizontal shaft with go cart clutch and sticking on my sons chicom machine just so it will be easy to start and get quality parts for.
100352D0-4F39-4A46-B062-AE8D1D2783E9.png

Last edited:
My experience with chicom bikes was that they run forever, but fall apart. Of course we were grown adults riding 70-125cc put bikes on full on trail rides.

The 70cc broke the mounts off and was replaced with a 125cc. We tried like hell to blow it up, including feeding it, methal ketone(sp?), rc nitro fuel, oxy/acc, black powder from a 12g shell, and then even the bbs from the 12g shell :laughing:

It would get hot enough to melt solder on the head, but would always fire back up. :lmao:

On the other hand, the hardware is what I can only imagine to be a blend of lead and zinc, with the cheapest chrome coating you've ever seen.

Used jap is better, but the chicom stuff is pretty cheap.
​​​​​

My 7 year old has a ttr50 (I'm trying to get him onto the next size up, but he likes his 50) the neighbor kid is also 7 and they have a 125 chicom quad. One day when it was still wet out, the realized they could do doughnuts around the burn pile area (about a 30' circle) they did that for HOURS. I think they lowered the ground level 8" :laughing:

Man, my 10 year old still rides his brothers 50cc, because we don't make him wear a helmet on it...because they can literally run faster than that quad. He just putts around the property, sometimes pulls the garden cart behind him, and has fun with it. When he wants to go fast, he straps on the helmet and hauls ass on the 90cc, which is bored so is quick as shit.

My son has a Chicom 80 or 90. It runs good and he has fun on it but it is so hard to start that by the time I get it running he has lost interest. I have replaced everything on it but it has such small spark that it floods instantly. The only way I can get it to start is to run a hairdryer on the head to get some heat in it and then hook it up to a car battery and give it a small whiff of cosbys date in a can. Once it has heat in it it will run and start great. It is pretty quick for a little machine I bet it will run over 30 with me on it. It has a little screw and I just back it off to about 1/2-3/4 throttle and he does fine.

I would suggest getting a name brand machine not the chicom junk. At least you can get parts for them. I am thinking of just getting a small B&S horizontal shaft with go cart clutch and sticking on my sons chicom machine just so it will be easy to start and get quality parts for.

Parts are easy, just go to amazon and wait a month. My Daughter (8) has a TaoTao 110. Starts and runs easy, Got it for cheap because it had no spark, replaced almost electrical component for the tune of $40 only to realize it had a tether kill switch on the back that was partially pulled out. Just have to keep an eye on it for loose parts or broken welds and zip tie the plastics back together occasionally.

If I recall right from when I was a kid, the B&S go cart broke pretty often too. Didn't help that it was usually fixed with sticks and coat hangers. Throttle cable broke once and our solution was to start it against a tree with the throttle jammed wide open then kick off and not stop until it ran out of gas or hit something solid.

Parts are easy, just go to amazon and wait a month. My Daughter (8) has a TaoTao 110. Starts and runs easy, Got it for cheap because it had no spark, replaced almost electrical component for the tune of $40 only to realize it had a tether kill switch on the back that was partially pulled out. Just have to keep an eye on it for loose parts or broken welds and zip tie the plastics back together occasionally.

If I recall right from when I was a kid, the B&S go cart broke pretty often too. Didn't help that it was usually fixed with sticks and coat hangers. Throttle cable broke once and our solution was to start it against a tree with the throttle jammed wide open then kick off and not stop until it ran out of gas or hit something solid.

Yeah thats where I get parts for this one. I have replaced every ignition component twice. It has spark it is just so weak you cant see it in the daylight. You can see the spark at night. It is a knockoff of a Honda my friends son has a Honda 70 and besides his being kickstart it almost looks like the same engine. I think ignition components are different because we were going to pull parts off the Honda to try making the Chicom rickshaw run but parts were completely different.

Would gaping the spark plug real close help?

Quads are lame.

PW50, automatic single speed.
CRF50, auto 3spd and honestly the aftermarket support makes it a dad ride after he grows out of it.

Lot more skill learned on a bike, that or teach him how to be a real man and get him a 3 wheeler. :smokin:

Razor makes a sweet electric one - got a quad for my 4 year old and an 8 dollar speed limiter you can adjust with a philips. Got my 3 year old their dirt bike with training wheels. Both good quality but sitting till winter at least cause of the weight and speed. If you are in the Midwest I'll sell the quad, also was on Amazon for a bit

3x on the get him a small electric dirt bike. At their age more important for them to learn how to crash and not get hurt. A small electric dirt bike teaches lessons, a quad does not. I got both my boys the razor mx 350 and 500 bikes. They are getting really good at learning how to ride and what’s safe and what’s not. Make them wear a helmet at all times. There has been a few skinned knees but other than that they don’t go fast enough to hurt too bad.

I got 2 small gokarts and Im more scared letting my kids drive them vs the dirt bikes. 4 wheels puts way too much confidence in the kids.

Do the 50s have governors or anything on them? My boy just puts hammer down and goes. Doesn't really...stop. Just hold it wide open and hopes for the best. He loves his PowerWheels and I'm going to be getting a 33aH battery for it. But a gas one would be great.

Do the 50s have governors or anything on them? My boy just puts hammer down and goes. Doesn't really...stop. Just hold it wide open and hopes for the best. He loves his PowerWheels and I'm going to be getting a 33aH battery for it. But a gas one would be great.

Yes. Both the Honda and Yamaha 50s have an adjustable throttle stop, you can set it so it stops barely above idle if you want to. Add a tether kill switch for a quad like this one and you can walk next to him, and if he gets too wild pull the tether. https://www.motosport.com/product/?...id=pla-491202547145&variant=BMS0066-X001-Y002

A bike is the way to go, if he can ride a bicycle with training wheels he can ride a dirt bike with training wheels. And one helps the other.

My dad started me on a PW50 with training wheels when I was 2 1/2, by the time I was 3 I was riding the dirt bike with out training wheels while still on training wheels on my bicycle. Apparently it was easier for me to keep my balance on the dirt bike with the throttle and not having to pedal.

Yes. Both the Honda and Yamaha 50s have an adjustable throttle stop, you can set it so it stops barely above idle if you want to. Add a tether kill switch for a quad like this one and you can walk next to him, and if he gets too wild pull the tether. https://www.motosport.com/product/?...id=pla-491202547145&variant=BMS0066-X001-Y002

A bike is the way to go, if he can ride a bicycle with training wheels he can ride a dirt bike with training wheels. And one helps the other.

My dad started me on a PW50 with training wheels when I was 2 1/2, by the time I was 3 I was riding the dirt bike with out training wheels while still on training wheels on my bicycle. Apparently it was easier for me to keep my balance on the dirt bike with the throttle and not having to pedal.

I'm going to stick with the quad. Our land is almost made for it. I'm in SOLID woods. Stumps, downed trees, brooks, boulders everywhere, etc. I have a Sportsman 700 Twin that is the freaking TITS for out back. I can spend all day out there. I tried taking the dual sport out there, it was just a mess.

Ok question,

my 5yo is fearless on his pedal bike. Never had training wheels figured out balance and Hauls Ass anywhere he can. I know I can put him on a 50 right now and he will rock the fuck out of it. As parents our big concern is keeping him off street bikes when he comes of age. Neither of us are opposed to dirt bikes but realize the easy transition to a crotch rocket or even a dual sport. Fucking car drivers never look for bikes so thats the catch.

how hard is it to keep you kids rooted in the dirt? Obviously dirt bikes are much safer to crash at speed vs equally fast quads, and quads are much more stable at low speed. But around here its so much easier to find trails for bikes and I live extremely close to a dual sport meca so a dirt bike seems like the correct choice.

Talk about first world parenting problems. Quad or dirt bike?:usa:

From the Yamaha website:

CALLING NEW RIDERS

With electric start, reverse and legendary Raptor styling, this youth ATV is pure fun for riders 10‑years‑old and up.

:laughing: welllll.....

Ok question,

my 5yo is fearless on his pedal bike. Never had training wheels figured out balance and Hauls Ass anywhere he can. I know I can put him on a 50 right now and he will rock the fuck out of it. As parents our big concern is keeping him off street bikes when he comes of age. Neither of us are opposed to dirt bikes but realize the easy transition to a crotch rocket or even a dual sport. Fucking car drivers never look for bikes so thats the catch.

how hard is it to keep you kids rooted in the dirt? Obviously dirt bikes are much safer to crash at speed vs equally fast quads, and quads are much more stable at low speed. But around here its so much easier to find trails for bikes and I live extremely close to a dual sport meca so a dirt bike seems like the correct choice.

Dirt bike and if he happens to end up on a street bike he will already be a good rider and be able to out maneuver 50% of the riders on the road

Dirt bike and if he happens to end up on a street bike he will already be a good rider and be able to out maneuver 50% of the riders on the road

Yea, but its not the other riders or the kid that'd I be worried about. Its the 4/5 drivers staring at phones while driving. :homer:

I'll be holding off the street riding for as long as possible. I just don't trust the people on the road enough to put my kid on there. :homer:

Quads are lame.

PW50, automatic single speed.
CRF50, auto 3spd and honestly the aftermarket support makes it a dad ride after he grows out of it.

Lot more skill learned on a bike, that or teach him how to be a real man and get him a 3 wheeler. :smokin:

Quads are cool. My son and I spent a decades hauling our camping gear into sand bars fishing and camping. We spent a decade hauling turkey and deer out of the woods.

Some people buy them for more than just riding laps on trails.

I bought my 7 year old son a Grizzly 90. They are recommended for 10 and up, but it is perfect for him. I wouldn't put a 4 year old on it. It will do 30+ with my 190 lbs on it.

Ok question,

This exactly. Motorcycles and me are a thing. I have never been without at least one, often times as many as ten in the shop. When I married my wife(28 years ago this saturday) I told her I would be without her before I was ever without a motorcycle. So far so good.

To address your concern I will add this; you are spot on with your fear. I have ridden with my boys since they were 4-5ish years old. Trails in arkansas, missouri, kansas, oklahoma, nebraska, you get the point. We raced Hare-scrambles together. And at one point, they were on big enough bikes that dual sport rides happened. (connecting trails etc). I loved every single minute of it and while I don't wish to repeat much of my life, I would give anything to repeat that part. Then all of a sudden street bikes came along(in highschool). I ride street, so why not them too. It was all good around home here in flat land, but we went to Eureka springs AR for a family vacation and took the bikes. The riding is fantastic down there but going through every corner with my two boys on their bikes behind us was nerve racking. I had huge anxiety. Like the riding part was not fun for me. Now they are grown and live in a bigger city together. They took their dirt bikes(plated KTM 250XC's) and their street bikes(vfr800 and honda 919). I worry about them on the street in manhattan all the time.

I suppose that is just part of parenting. You love your kid and them getting hurt or worse is unimaginable. But they have to live their lives and make their own decisions. I hope I instilled in them enough about the perils of riding(hell about life in general) and now they are men doing their own thing.

The moral here is to get a bike or get a quad and have fun living with your kid. :grinpimp:

Bump.

My 7 year old is turning 8 this month. I want to get him something to ride out at our land. Originally I was looking at used go karts, but am now leaning toward an ATV. I've thought about grabbing a chicom 110-125cc one as they run under $1,500 but, I have enough shit to work on that i'm leaning towards getting something name brand based on reliability (and resale).

I'm leaning toward a 110cc vs 70-90cc. I figure I can govern it down for a while and it would leave more room for them to grow into it.

Options:
Random chicom 125cc Link.
Suzuki z90 Link.
Kawasaki KFX 90 Link.
Honda TRX90X Link.
Can-Am Renegade 110 Link.
Polaris outlaw 110 Link.

Thoughts on 90cc vs 110cc for an 8 year old? *additional info, I have a 5 year old that will be riding too. Mind you, he is almost the same size as his older brother.

Are the name brand quads worth 2-3x the price?

I'm keeping an eye on marketplace too as i'm not apposed to buying used.

We bought my 4 year old a 50 cc dirtbike and a "training wheels" kit.

I am a firm believer that training wheels on everything is silly. All kids should start on a Strider with no pedals. They should be successfully riding that by 2-3 years old. When a kid is big enough to actually ride a dirtbike no training wheels are needed. Teach them to bail when in trouble :)

Didn’t read the whole thread so maybe it’s a repost.

If you already have a power wheels, why not just modify it.

Way more speed, better batteries. Real throttle and brakes, like pressure sensitive vs on/off.

Once they get better at driving fast and feeling the throttle control you can move to gas.

Top Back Refresh